Meat Eater

grfox92

WKR
They are a business, that business is how they make a living. They pay salaries and health insurance to audio engineers, camera people, office staff, ect.

They make money off of selling products and paid advertising. The more shows the more advertising the more exposure the more money.

I'm not sure how growing a business is "Selling out" also not sure why people get "annoyed" at hearing advertisements or seeing advertisements on FREE CONTENT. The advertisements are what pays for you to be able to have a show to listen too and watch.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

I've always enjoyed watching his shows and listening to the podcasts, has the content of the show changed? Yes. But it is him doing what he needs to do and it is still beneficial for hunters to be seen in a good light. I need to watch Das Boat.

BuddyS

FNG
Early on, I loved the show. He wasn’t the normal hunting show “actor”.
While sponsoring from different companies is good for the economy I hate the shows that talk about “how this hunt was made possible but Bushnell Optics, Hoyt bows, etc.”
Meat Eater isn’t quite there, and I’m glad, but I feel like each season gets a little more that direction.
Still a great show and Steve is a much better advocate and informative hunter than most “seen on TV” hunters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sevens

WKR
I like his shows. I have many friends who are not obsessed with hunting like I am that also like his shows (some don’t even hunt, they just like there wilderness and eating what you hunt aspect). He is a good ambassador for hunting that focuses on the hunt, ethics, utilization and conservation. Can’t recall him ever doing a “trophy shot” with an animal he just killed (although I’m sure he does off camera). He does a good job of bridging the gap for someone who is on the fence about if hunting is “good” by focusing on that it’s more than the kill and that not shooting something is not necessarily a bad outcome/hunt.

If he wanted to trade me my job and sit at a desk 80+ a week crunching numbers; I will happily trade and go hunting all the time in my Excellent first light camo shooting my favorite Weatherby backcountry rifle.

drew272

FNG
Everyone who claims they would love this as their job, or it's just capitalism, or it's just a business good for him ,he's making money, or he's an ambassador, is sliding down a slippery slope. Everyone needs to come to an understanding what the outdoors/hunting means thru your own lens and not what some media figure is acting out. This is particularly important to any new hunter today, whether a kid or adult onset.

Lets look at the spectrum of love for an example: it begins as
Passion
Marriage/contract
Prostitution.

It is pretty clear where we stand currently in the outdoor media/overall media/consumerism. I try my best to keep it in the beginning, but is very difficult, and media personalities for sure as hell don't want you to stay there. Meat Eater is a digital brothel, glammed up more that the others, but the ends justify the means according to alot of people. Plus their conservation message is vapid and too me is just a "covering all basis kind of thing". Conservating is good for business.

SpaceMan

FNG
I just watched the whole meat eater show last week. What spin off shows are there? I really enjoyed watching it.

Outlaw99

WKR
I respect what he does and has done, but I can’t get over his voice..... literally, it annoys me so much I can’t watch or listen too long. I don’t watch a lot of tv, but if I do, I prefer Nate Simmons and Western Hunter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just watched the whole meat eater show last week. What spin off shows are there? I really enjoyed watching it.
They're on YouTube for now. There's Das Boat and there's an ice fishing one that I forgot the name of. There are also the back forty episode with Mark Kenyon that surrounds their 40 acre property in Michigan. Meat Eater have recently been releasing their first few seasons on YouTube as well so you can watch those episodes that aren't on Netflix.

Titan_Bow

WKR
I've been a fan of Rinella since his show on the Travel channel "The Wild Within" There is not a better ambassador for hunting to the non-hunting public. For years, I've able to simply point my non-hunting friends to google search "Steve Rinella versus vegan" and have them watch that YouTube debate versus the vegan in a NY book signing. I have literally had people watch that video and change their (uneducated) view of hunting. You'd never be able to do that with a Primos video or a Ted Nugent video....

7Bartman

WKR
Funny I just came across this thread. I just got done watching this video from the early days of Rinella. I remember watching this show on the Travel channel and thinking to myself that this guy gets it and I'd like to see some more shows.

I don’t listen to every episode of meateater,
I’ll pick thru.
The hog hunting guy, the dr on parasites and the one about red meat were interesting.
Almost gave up on it trying to listen to one, think Ice fishing... they musta been drunk.
Every time some said something they’d all holler into the Mike’s.

OXN939

WKR
Funny I just came across this thread. I just got done watching this video from the early days of Rinella. I remember watching this show on the Travel channel and thinking to myself that this guy gets it and I'd like to see some more shows.

That's a funny throwback. The Meateater conglomerate may have its faults, but I think, overall, it's gotta be seen as a big positive for hunting. Nowhere in the hunting shows I grew up watching- which were really just elaborate, scripted commercials with hosts acting out kill shot sequences in empty fields to get the right camera angles- did I ever see anyone substantively address a serious conservation or ethical issue. Like it or not, Steve expressing himself eloquently and reasonably has done more for initiatives like saving Bristol Bay and combating ballot box biology a la CO wolf reintroduction than anyone bitching angrily about it online ever has.

dingle

Lil-Rokslider
His show is good, my only complaint is with the podcast. Every time someone other than him is starting to make a point the f¥(<£r interrupts them. Really irritating. But I still listen.
This is true and has been a cardinal sin of his for most of the life of the podcast. Two voices at once on a live audio program is phenomenally distracting and many of his are intentionally invasive, not accidental. I wish I could kindly ask that he do something to fix it - namely, just holding his tongue no matter how important his next point, color commentary, clarification or recasting of the other person's words is. It would really help the podcast.

wyodan

WKR
This is true and has been a cardinal sin of his for most of the life of the podcast. Two voices at once on a live audio program is phenomenally distracting and many of his are intentionally invasive, not accidental. I wish I could kindly ask that he do something to fix it - namely, just holding his tongue no matter how important his next point, color commentary, clarification or recasting of the other person's words is. It would really help the podcast.
I'd like to hear the individual's story, instead of Steve telling them how they should tell it. It always bugs me when he interrupts them to tell them to tell a point that he would tell if he was telling it.

topher89

WKR
So much better than most of the other hunting media out there. It is focused on experience, not trophies, usually takes place on public land in situations that anyone could also do, wide range of species (small game, big game and those special exotic opportunities).

No lectures about how fit they are and how they just go harder than everyone else. None of the "when you are as good me, you just get haters"

Meridian90

Lil-Rokslider
I'd like to hear the individual's story, instead of Steve telling them how they should tell it. It always bugs me when he interrupts them to tell them to tell a point that he would tell if he was telling it.
I dont know. That doesnt bug me. Maybe its cuz I know most guests are buddies and it sounds more like me and my buddies telling and interrupting each other so it feels a bit more organic to me.

Hes also the host and it's his show so I get why he would want some of it framed his way.

I also would choose his storytelling over some of his guests approaches...

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

tgus59

Lil-Rokslider
I dont know. That doesnt bug me. Maybe its cuz I know most guests are buddies and it sounds more like me and my buddies telling and interrupting each other so it feels a bit more organic to me.

Hes also the host and it's his show so I get why he would want some of it framed his way.

I also would choose his storytelling over some of his guests approaches...

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Agreed. It helps that he is better at telling stories than they are. You can tell it annoys Janis, which is pretty funny.

fwafwow

WKR
Agreed. It helps that he is better at telling stories than they are. You can tell it annoys Janis, which is pretty funny.
Too funny - I was listening to a recent one the other day and before that I had appreciated his interruptions, as I had remembered them being productive - getting the speaker to focus and narrow what might be a meandering or long-winded story. Then he did to a recent guest who was trying to tell how they had shot a pig at some sort of flooded pond - and I was pretty annoyed!

@Outlaw99 - maybe try the podcast at 1.5x speed? I don't personally have a problem with his voice, but after switching speeds, I now listen to every podcast that way.