Meat Eater

So you will continue to fund this company that in turn takes your money and shells it out to people that want to take away your rights? Which is a fact. Btw we don’t need him. I see it as a compromise that I’m not willing to make because he is in bed with the enemy. I would say we need him if he wasn’t involved with these scum bags. I see it more as he could be considered helpful at the moment but could bring real harm at a later date, which is not worth it. Especially at this crucial juncture that we are at currently. No disrespect to you as I seem to be on the extreme side of this issue and more people seem to be like you. I don’t understand it I guess.
From my perspective, I guess it’s just inevitable that at some point in a company’s growth they are going to attract the attention of big investors, many of which I am going to disagree with politically. I think it’s an example of cancel culture that people are demanding ideological purity not only from Meateater content or the company itself, but from the people who invest in that company.

406unltd

WKR
The problem is that living that type of life or having that type of business isn’t necessary. My point is that I would go back to working a regular job and still continue to hunt vs letting an enemy into my house, so to speak. Especially in the name of a dollar. I’m not rich but I make enough to do a lot of the things I want and enjoy a hobby as well. In the end you don’t need their “content”. I go out and live my own as I’m not for sale and neither are my morals.

I definitely agree that they’re not “necessary”, but really no hunting clothing company or content creator is necessary either. Ambitious people are still going to try to carve out a niche, and doing so generally requires you to work with people you may disagree with. How come we never dive into the political views of the fabric manufacturers and marketing analytics that Hunting pack companies use, or the server manufacturers/cloud storage companies that onX and basemap need to function?

406unltd

WKR
So true. I use Kifaru that does a decent job. I am completely guilty of having some pieces of Sitka that are China but most aren’t. I actually never thought about the on x thing that’s a good point. I’m gonna need to look into that. I might have to go back to my ARC GIS site for nav.

mmw194287

WKR
So true. I use Kifaru that does a decent job. I am completely guilty of having some pieces of Sitka that are China but most aren’t. I actually never thought about the on x thing that’s a good point. I’m gonna need to look into that. I might have to go back to my ARC GIS site for nav.
What kind of phone or computer are you using to access Rokslide?

406unltd

WKR
What kind of phone or computer are you using to access Rokslide?
Point taken. The amount of things I boycott is sizable these days. For each will be slightly different. I do view it as two different levels though. Level one things that are necessary for the ease of living and or mandatory. Level two are like perks. Niceties that give us something to consume or enjoy. Level two aren’t necessary for day to day life. Phones are a tool that in 2021 are completely necessary for most. Believe me if that wasn’t so I’d have a land line. Did it before and would do it again if plausible. I do not however need to support people that wish to tear down what I love with products that I do not require. You’ll never make it through this life without some compromise but that compromise will be set into one of two categories and dealt with accordingly. It’s just how I try to walk the tightrope.

So you will continue to fund this company that in turn takes your money and shells it out to people that want to take away your rights? Which is a fact. Btw we don’t need him. I see it as a compromise that I’m not willing to make because he is in bed with the enemy. I would say we need him if he wasn’t involved with these scum bags. I see it more as he could be considered helpful at the moment but could bring real harm at a later date, which is not worth it. Especially at this crucial juncture that we are at currently. No disrespect to you as I seem to be on the extreme side of this issue and more people seem to be like you. I don’t understand it I guess.
Who are the scum bags trying to take away our rights? Seriously, facts change and my opinion changes. I am genuinely curious as I am lost on this topic now.

Meridian90

Lil-Rokslider
I also find it quite a bit ironic that if it fits the narrative it's "selling out" instead of "that's just good business." It's so funny how people in your own walk of life succeed and then they are easy to label as selling out.

I think it's also insane to think you can't do business with someone who has opposing viewpoints. You think people at your work, or in your life don't have opposing viewpoints from you? I know several people on both sides of my family do, and several peers at my work and clients we work with. Do I still work with them? Yeah, why wouldn't I? Silly really that we can only enjoy, converse, or work with people that share our exact viewpoints. good god indeed.

grfox92

WKR
The only thing this thread has taught me - Cancel Culture is just as big of an issue on the right as the left. Good god people.
People's stances on this issue sound an awful like like liberal entitlement cancel culture.

Us conservatives claim to have the better mindset then the liberal who is incapable of having an open conversation with people of opposing views. We are supposed to be the bigger men. We are the ones that are supposed to love freedom and think that everyone is free to theyre own opinion. Yet we want to cancel MeatEater because they have a silent investor who has opposing views who has absolutely nothing to do with the content they create.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

alecvg

Lil-Rokslider
People's stances on this issue sound an awful like like liberal entitlement cancel culture.

Us conservatives claim to have the better mindset then the liberal who is incapable of having an open conversation with people of opposing views. We are supposed to be the bigger men. We are the ones that are supposed to love freedom and think that everyone is free to theyre own opinion. Yet we want to cancel MeatEater because they have a silent investor who has opposing views who has absolutely nothing to do with the content they create.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
I tell you what, as someone who is pretty moderate, but leans conservative- I am getting real damned sick of both sides. Both or becoming a bunch of winey, entitled bitches. I am just fed up with it. I personally have come to a point where I try not to judge anyone for their opinions, because I have realized, I don’t know everything, and I never will. I have realized I have been wrong on some deep set opinions, I just wish the rest of the world could do the same. This cancel culture society, on BOTH sides, is a damned disgrace to this country.

jtl

FNG
Who loses if Meateater doesn't do business with these people? I'll tell you who - it's hunters.

Meateater is a very small share of these peoples' portfolio, they probably only think about it four times a year when they look at quarterly earnings. If you think they are sitting around rubbing their hands together and scheming to take down the 2A through Meateater, you don't understand how this works.

On the other hand, having deeper pockets allows Meateater to do more and reach more people. They are still the best voice for hunters that is out there, at a time when we desperately need it. You can't simultaneously bemoan states restricting hunting and trapping, and then shit on the best outreach platform that we have. Does it make Rinella a pile of money in the process? You bet. Sorry if you don't like capitalism.

Wake me up when Meateater starts running articles about how you don't really need a semi-auto to hunt. Until then, I'm going to be grateful that we have an advocate who is on Netflix, has access to deep pockets, and is articulate and likeable.

I tell you what, as someone who is pretty moderate, but leans conservative- I am getting real damned sick of both sides. Both or becoming a bunch of winey, entitled bitches. I am just fed up with it. I personally have come to a point where I try not to judge anyone for their opinions, because I have realized, I don’t know everything, and I never will. I have realized I have been wrong on some deep set opinions, I just wish the rest of the world could do the same. This cancel culture society, on BOTH sides, is a damned disgrace to this country.
This post is five pages of people discussing why or why not Steve is a bad guy. He busted his ass writing books, creating shows, giving back to the community and hunting world, etc. yet he apparently sold himself out.... i love the guy. I like you am independent and argue for both sides but am exhausted from the both being whiny babies. However, in there defense we are all bored and sick of COVID. Which is why im still typing lol

JasonDay

FNG
This post is five pages of people discussing why or why not Steve is a bad guy. He busted his ass writing books, creating shows, giving back to the community and hunting world, etc. yet he apparently sold himself out.... i love the guy. I like you am independent and argue for both sides but am exhausted from the both being whiny babies. However, in there defense we are all bored and sick of COVID. Which is why im still typing lol
Agree with this. No one wanted his job when he was just writing books and getting by.

ODB

WKR
Agree with this. No one wanted his job when he was just writing books and getting by.

I did.

Having written for newspapers and magazines, and even written a book in the past, I’ll take that all day long versus running a media empire. He’s transitioned from a hunting writer into a media hunter.

Of course he can do as he pleases, but the quality of the work (his personal work) has suffered over time as the business has grown and he has built the massive ship he now has to keep afloat.

It will exhaust him after a time.

Meridian90

Lil-Rokslider
I did.

Having written for newspapers and magazines, and even written a book in the past, I’ll take that all day long versus running a media empire. He’s transitioned from a hunting writer into a media hunter.

Of course he can do as he pleases, but the quality of the work (his personal work) has suffered over time as the business has grown and he has built the massive ship he now has to keep afloat.

It will exhaust him after a time.
I can definitely respect your perspective here. I've turned down job opportunities in my own company because of the time and effect they would have on my family and my own personal passtimes. I could have made a lot more money, but been a lot less happy.