MeatEater Shooting for $100M in Revenues

Mt Al

WKR
came here to see a butt ton of stupid... wasnt disappointed. The boogey man sure has a lot of people triggered.
An issue w/outdoor related businesses, and all business/sport/any fame, is that generally: there's a sector of our population that hates and are jealous of success. Been there myself and not proud of it. Profit/growth = bad, humble/small/works out of garage = good.

If the owner is wise enough to act like a victim of The Man who really wanted to live in a single wide just doing what he loves (drives old beater, hunts with dad's old savage) but had an idea that everyone wanted - might hold on to some admiration from haters, but why?

Happy for Meateater as a business even if I'm not a follower.

I have watched Meateater since the beginning, listened to the podcast since the beginning, read several of Steve's books. I think what they're doing is a good thing. Even his brother, Matt, has voiced concerns about R3 and what it's doing to trailheads and opportunity to everyone that's hunting. The truth of the matter is that it's naturally conflicting. In a perfect world you could go hunt whatever you wanted to hunt every year and never run into another person. The problem is that anti hunters will try to use people being unaware to traditional practices and take things out of context to get different forms of hunting banned. They'll also try to use ballot initiatives like they have in Colorado with the wolves. We need hunter recruitment or at least the majority of the public to be alright with hunting and trapping. Nobody has done a better job of portraying things in a positive light and showing the public how positive hunting and time in the outdoors can be IMO.

Before Meateater hunting television was mainly morons talking about stacking critters and running around high fiving each other over deer they'd named like idiots.

Ahh so you just hunt private land whitetail in the midwest. Not sure why you even care about Meateater monetizing western public land hunting then.
I hunt 100% public land from the East coast to the West. I have for the last 30 years now. Guess what, public land hunting existed WAY before Onx was a twinkle in someone’s eye it’s remarkable someone would think you NEED Onx to hunt public land anywhere in the US!

Just wow

ethan

WKR
Just food for thought, I’ve bought gear in the past because I liked it. Then later the brand or owner, whatever said or did something really stupid and it made me want to sell it and replace it with another company. After about the third or fourth time that happened I’ve come to the conclusion that I’m better off buying what I like and not paying attention to what whoever says whatever and just go about my business. At the end of the day, I don’t think you can get clear of the stupidity of the society we live in anymore, unfortunately.
I do find it ironic though how one brand can get blasted for doing “X” but another brand can do the same thing and the people that blasted one company fiercely defends the other brand as being different. It’s kind of funny and sad at the same time.

I do find it ironic though how one brand can get blasted for doing “X” but another brand can do the same thing and the people that blasted one company fiercely defends the other brand as being different. It’s kind of funny and sad at the same time.
Depends on who owns the brand and how they go about promoting it.

If you’re a self important fake person like Rinella whose in bed with Liberals he’s probably not going to be well liked by a lot of conservative outdoors minded people outside of the social media addicted types who get all their info from Youtube, FB, IG etc or those who are in fact Liberal in their views so have no problem his company is indirectly donating money via Chernin to Gavin Newsome or the Biden campaign.

Doesn’t help when you sell inferior Chinesium products at a premium price that don’t hold up to their competitors Chinesium gear. I mean, does anyone rely on their outerwear or expect it to hold up past a season, maybe 2 if you don’t hunt hard?

They own so many brands now that this isn't really surprising. First Lite alone was huge before Meateater took over. I have no idea how the Netflix deal works for revenue but the rest is all ads from website and podcast visits, good for them.

ethan

WKR

If you’re a self important fake person like Rinella whose in bed with Liberals he’s probably not going to be well liked by a lot of conservative outdoors minded people outside of the social media addicted types who get all their info from Youtube, FB, IG etc or those who are in fact Liberal in their views so have no problem his company is indirectly donating money via Chernin to Gavin Newsome or the Biden campaign.

Doesn’t help when you sell inferior Chinesium products at a premium price that don’t hold up to their competitors Chinesium gear. I mean, does anyone rely on their outerwear or expect it to hold up past a season, maybe 2 if you don’t hunt hard?
I can see that I suppose. I’m not defending or calling out any of them, don’t really care one way or another. I have a little of most of them. I’ll continue to use what I like and assume all of them have anterior motives 😁

intunegp

WKR

You can argue that MeatEater is supporting/funding these donations, but Peter Chernin's net worth is in the ballpark of $400 million...he's gonna donate $35k here and $12k there whether his company owns MeatEater or not.

Chernin Group Political Donations by election cycle

Looks like all the donations from within Chernin Group are done by individuals, not the company itself.

You can argue that MeatEater is supporting/funding these donations, but Peter Chernin's net worth is in the ballpark of $400 million...he's gonna donate $35k here and $12k there whether his company owns MeatEater or not.

Chernin Group Political Donations by election cycle

Looks like all the donations from within Chernin Group are done by individuals, not the company itself.

Yep, Chernin is going to donate to Liberal causes whether he owns Meateater or not. It’s remarkably easy to see who Peter Chernin donates to politically. Trust me, he isn’t funding any bright, high functioning conservatives. It’s all low IQ Liberal kuckledraggeres like Biden or Gavin Newsome. You’re conveniently glazing over the fact that he DOES own Meateater so your argument is invalid anyways.

You buy FL your money, at least some percentage, goes to Chernin and he gives it, again at least some percentage, to a drooling window licker like Biden. Yeah, it’s a free country, at least for now, but i’ll pass and spend my money elsewhere. There are lots of companies selling Chinesium crap that at least have owners who share my values.

intunegp

WKR
Yep, Chernin is going to donate to Liberal causes whether he owns Meateater or not. It’s remarkably easy to see who Peter Chernin donates to politically. Trust me, he isn’t funding any bright, high functioning conservatives. It’s all low IQ Liberal kuckledraggeres like Biden or Gavin Newsome. You’re conveniently glazing over the fact that he DOES own Meateater so your argument is invalid anyways.

You buy FL your money, at least some percentage, goes to Chernin and he gives it, again at least some percentage, to a drooling window licker like Biden. Yeah, it’s a free country, at least for now, but i’ll pass and spend my money elsewhere. There are lots of companies selling Chinesium crap that at least have owners who share my values.

Didn't glaze over anything pal, my point (that whooshed over your head) is that the man is worth $400 million dollars and whether or not he makes a dime from MeatEater, he's going to make those same donations. It's not like people purchasing First Lite gear is what's enabling him to do so.

Didn't glaze over anything pal, my point (that whooshed over your head) is that the man is worth $400 million dollars and whether or not he makes a dime from MeatEater, he's going to make those same donations. It's not like people purchasing First Lite gear is what's enabling him to do so.
Yeah not worth arguing with this guy. He never contributes anything positive to this (First Lite sponsored) forum, just likes talking down to people.

intunegp

WKR
Never did I even remotely say that.

What i DID say is that if YOU spend money with FL YOUR money is being used to support Liberal causes.

I can’t say it any clearer.

And what I'm saying is that if YOU don't spend YOUR money with FL, the same amount of money is being used to support those same causes. If NOBODY spent ANY money on FL, the same amount of money would be used to support the same causes. FL could announce bankruptcy tomorrow and Chernin is still going to make the same donations.

Yeah not worth arguing with this guy. He never contributes anything positive to this (First Lite sponsored) forum, just likes talking down to people.

Lol yeah I see that...one of those guys that just likes to take out his frustrations on strangers on the internet whether or not he's making relevant or valid points.

Mikido

WKR
I live in NYC.

Meateater got me interested in western hunting.

Rokslide taught me how.

I am your out of state competitor in those mountains….one of your own (quite easy to ascend to) WKR

we all start somewhere mate….haven’t met a Native American hunter on this forum yet.

Brock A

Super Moderator
Staff member
I live in NYC.

Rokslide taught me how.

I am your out of state competitor in those mountains….one of your own (quite easy to ascend to) WKR

we all start somewhere mate….haven’t met a Native American hunter on this forum yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
O
I live in NYC.

Rokslide taught me how.

Well that's pretty cool to read!

I'm curious, what other social media influences/influencers did you tap into when first starting off? As you become more capable, do you still see those social media mentors in the same light? Do you think social media makes the barrier into hunting too easy?

I guess I was meaning all his stuff, and if the dude went broke and couldn't donate anything he wouldn't.

And my larger point: that the consumer, the common man, does indeed have some power whether he recognizes it or not. I'm glad I'm not so fatalistic to think otherwise.