Military service late in life

sconnieVLP

Lil-Rokslider
I could go deep into a list of why I don't think its a good idea to enlist at 37, but the simplest answer is recovery.

You might be in great shape, surely better than some recruits, but the reason it's a young man's game is they recover faster. You're going to get hurt, beat down, worn out. An 18 year old wakes up the next day charging for more. Day after day. They disregard potential long term injury effects because they are invincible and unconcerned with anything long term.
You nailed this one. I’ve found that doing things day after day that I could do without feeling a thing early in my career come with a lot more aches and pains now. No way I’d want to be doing some of the same stuff I was doing early on today.

WKB

Lil-Rokslider
If you want to do it, just do it and quit talking about it.

34. Been in the Army 15 years. Best career move I could have made. Enlisted first and now a field grade officer. Going for a full 42 if they will let me. I have a bachelors and a masters all paid for courtesy of the Army. Did all the cool guy stuff. Have some cool flair. Been to some cool places. The Army can be the best decision or the worst decision of your life. You decide how your day is gonna go and what value you bring and receive from the training. The one thing that does suck is the longer you stay in the further you will get from tactical and operational units, and the more time you will spend on Staff. This whole young man's game stuff is somewhat true, however with time and training can be mitigated. I pride myself on still being able to outrun my LTs and CPTs and still can throw on a ruck and march a 12 miler.
As an aside, the Army, regardless of career field, isn't all air assault courses and room clearing with high-cut helmets. Its a lot of mandatory training, PMCS, vehicle convoys, and hip pocket training. 10 hours of boredom followed by 10 minutes of excitement.
At very least give it a try. If you decide the NG life isn't for you, just ETS. Ensure you put your earnings in your BRS retirement plan and transfer your GI bill benefits to your kids so you can get something (won't be much) out of your service.
If you like soldiering, it will be one of the most rewarding decisions you will have made.

sconnieVLP

Lil-Rokslider

34. Been in the Army 15 years. Best career move I could have made. Enlisted first and now a field grade officer. Going for a full 42 if they will let me. I have a bachelors and a masters all paid for courtesy of the Army. Did all the cool guy stuff. Have some cool flair. Been to some cool places. The Army can be the best decision or the worst decision of your life. You decide how your day is gonna go and what value you bring and receive from the training. The one thing that does suck is the longer you stay in the further you will get from tactical and operational units, and the more time you will spend on Staff. This whole young man's game stuff is somewhat true, however with time and training can be mitigated. I pride myself on still being able to outrun my LTs and CPTs and still can throw on a ruck and march a 12 miler.
As an aside, the Army, regardless of career field, isn't all air assault courses and room clearing with high-cut helmets. Its a lot of mandatory training, PMCS, vehicle convoys, and hip pocket training. 10 hours of boredom followed by 10 minutes of excitement.
At very least give it a try. If you decide the NG life isn't for you, just ETS. Ensure you put your earnings in your BRS retirement plan and transfer your GI bill benefits to your kids so you can get something (won't be much) out of your service.
If you like soldiering, it will be one of the most rewarding decisions you will have made.
I’m glad there are dudes like you out there, the day I hit 20 I’m done, not a day longer.

If you wife isn't willing to move, I think Active Duty would be nearly impossible in your situation.

If you have the itch, I would definitely go Army NG. You can keep your good day job, keep your marriage healthy, and be there for your kids...while still serving your country. It's a win win for all.
And you can go to SFAS through the guard.

Nothing in the civilian world will scratch that itch. Nothing….

Take what dude said to heart. If you’re on the edge of it, just jump.

Was active for most of my 20s. Im 30 now and jumping through a million hoops just to come back into the guard. Why? Because nothing at all scratches that itch.

If certain things are the only things that interest you. Go do it before you live in regret forever. That regret is what claims more lives than anyone realizes.

Hard pill to swallow serving under this administration, however just remember you’re not serving those two faced *****. You’re serving for your fellow battles all around you. Be there because you want to be not because you’re forced to be. That is the key.

Traveler

WKR
Get a few books on how to deal with regret and don’t join. A lot of the benefit of joining the military comes from being young with maximum flexibility ahead of you. It isn’t that way at 37 with your constraints. I think you’d find enlisted service, even in the NG, a net negative.

Joining the French Foreign Legion​

Welcome to the information page on how to join the French Foreign Legion. Please note that the ONLY way to join the Foreign Legion is to travel to mainland France (in Europe) and knock on the door of one of the Foreign Legion recruiting centers and offices. There is NO OTHER WAY! No online applications, no letters of invitation, no French embassy’s forms are offered to join the French Foreign Legion.

French Foreign Legion: Entry Requirements​

What DOES matter when joining the Legion​

• to be a man between 17.5 and 39.5 years

Team4LongGun

SUPER MODERATOR
Staff member
I would not join at that stage of your life. Although I've spent decades in the military/LE/Govt realm and wouldn't trade it for anything, there comes a point where practicality matters over dreams. There are a multitude of sacrifices that given your situation would be selfish to pursue.

I gave up the notion of being a pro ball player, still think about it, but it's not realistic so I don't spend much time on it. I suggest you do the same.

I say this respectfully.

This is the best comment in the thread so far. Change a few details and this is pretty similar to my career path.

The world, and the military is full of people who were going to do something. "I was going to join, but..." " I was going to be infantry, but..." "I was going to go to selection, but..." Not a dig at you by any means, but you've had a lot of time to think about joining and it's either going to happen or it's not.

Reactions: WKB

SWOHTR

WKR
Navy for 12 yr active. Like most, I can tell you the good and the bad. I don’t regret it at all, but knew I wanted to serve since I was very young. If you want to do it, do it. My advice is, do it intelligently. Which amounts to commissioning, not enlisting, and that is based solely on your position in life right now - No other reasons. Don’t fool yourself either, you will likely have a better fit doing something not as physical as what you’re wanting. Numerous reasons already stated for that one. I’d also tell you the services are hurting for people willing and able to serve. Navy is forecasted at 6k short this year.

OP
H
Thanks for all the insights of both sides.

Commissioning is something I've thought of but haven't looked into extensively yet. It would seem to be a better option for full time, but I assume would also require potentially being stationed away from my family.

I tend to agree with you @Team4LongGun . I know there's plenty of younger guys out there that would do just as good/better than me for a longer time in serving and there's other ways to give back to my country.

Thanks for all the insights of both sides.

Commissioning is something I've thought of but haven't looked into extensively yet. It would seem to be a better option for full time, but I assume would also require potentially being stationed away from my family.

I tend to agree with you @Team4LongGun . I know there's plenty of younger guys out there that would do just as good/better than me for a longer time in serving and there's other ways to give back to my country.
With your family and your wife not willing to move much, there is NO WAY you can be active duty military. You don’t have any say in where you get stationed. They (military) will make you a lot of promises and tell you anything you want to hear, but in the end they send you wherever they want you to go.

There is no way in hell I would join, for any reason, at your age. Not reserves, not active, not National Guard. You are going to be very frustrated all the time. I spent 6 years very unhappy.

I enlisted at 27. I had a college degree and could have commissioned but choose not to. I also was fairly experienced in life with a decent job, a wife and a kid.

Young people can be easily molded and shaped to do or think whatever the military needs them to do or think. But, as you mature, you see right through all the BS and realize it’s all a game. And after a while that game isn’t fun to play anymore.

By the time I was 30, I was miserable and was counting down the days to get the hell out, and still had 3 years to go!!!

I wasn’t a trouble maker or lazy, I wasn’t a superstar soldier either. I did well, made it to E-5 in exactly 2 years and was getting E-6 dangled in front of me to keep me to stay when I left but I said “Hell no.”

jdinville3

Lil-Rokslider
Veteran myself, been retired for a few years now. I spent a lot of time in Army NG recruiting and unless something has changed, I'm not sure a 37 year old can even enlist. So my advice is this, talk to a recruiter and if eligible, go to the MEPS processing and see what your options are. Once and if you pass everything there that's when you need to make a hard decision. Processing through MEPS has changed a LOT in the last 2-3 years. Not saying you could withhold information at MEPS, but that grey area has changed to a little more black and white.

I'd suggest Army National Guard with your situation also. I also know a lot of states have more flexibility than the Army to get a 37 year old in, especially if you commission (which is likely your only path at 37). I spent only three years in the Army, but I made a career of the Army National Guard between being part time and active duty for the National Guard. Go talk to an Army National Guard recruiter about your options and also talk to their Officer recruiter. Each state follows the Army standards and then adds their own "twist".

Your best bet is AGR (Active Guard Reserve), which means you get the best of both worlds. You get a full time active duty career, but stay local to your state while serving. However, AGR isn't something you just get into, but more like you apply for it once you get enlisted/Commissioned.

One side note I'd maybe suggest is Air National Guard. It's the same exact thing as the Army National Guard, but for the Air Force. They also have AGR positions and numerous opportunities.

Feel free to message me if you have questions and if I can't answer them I still know a crap ton of people on AGR here and in other states.

Also thanks for wanting to serve and thanks to all of you on here who are or have served! 💪💪

Funny I was just talking to my coworker about this morning.
My top 1-3 regrets and I would join tomorrow if I could.I’m 47,3 kids that are 13,16&18 and better in better shape than most 25 year olds.
My father served and I was a rebellious teen and I get asked all the time if I’m a vet.It almost brings me to tears when I have to tell them no.
A few years ago I was at a jewelry store with my youngest daughter getting something for there mother when the lady said thanks for your service out of the blue.
It shook me up.
Now my youngest is a competitive soccer player and has to see the shit show and the anti American attitude that’s plastered everywhere.
I have told both daughters to entertain service.

Last edited:
I’ll throw in my two cents here and say that if you are comfortable where you are in life, don’t join the military. You WILL spend a lot of time away from family, even in the NG or reserves, you WILL be bored most of the time, and simultaneously you WILL be extremely stressed about dumb stuff weekly if not daily. There’s a reason that the army offers amazing benefits and good pay, it’s the only way they can retain their best people.

That being said, if you do join, know that it’s not all door kickers in the army, and a lot of guys get bored of door kicking quicker than you’d think. Someone at your stage of life should look at jobs that are intellectually challenging as well as the physically challenging ones. What’s your degree in? There are direct commission officer routes for some MOS. I didn’t do that but as an “environmental science and engineering officer” I worked with a lot of guys who did. I got to avoid a lot of the worst B.S. in the army once I got out of the platoon/company level, and I had a rewarding job keeping soldiers safe

1691515247191.png
This is me a few days after my 38th birthday, commuting by Mi-17 from Camp Marmal to Camp Shaheen where I was embedded in the Afghan Army 209th Corps for most of that year. 8 years later I'm still active duty and probably will be until they force me to retire. Staying in, even into my mid-late 40s seems like a way to stay young and avoid growing up. I'm physically fitter now at 46 than I was at 18. it just takes a lot more supplementary Advil to keep going. Its nice not having to "punch out" to go to the gym every day.