Montana General Tag!

Hey guys, I got a bunch of good information last year on my Nebraska Pine Ridge hunt from Rokslide. I'm going to Montana with a mule deer general tag this fall, and am looking for advice. I might have a connection to the town of Opheim in section 6, but live closer to 7, which has the most mule deer. Has anyone had decent luck in 6 or 7? What's the best time to go in regards to spot and stalk efforts and deer movement? I want to catch the bucks cruising for does, but don't wanna be there over thanksgiving. Any info is appreciated!

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

OP
nicktzenevrakis
I was in a group of 4, and we hunted in pairs most of the time. We all filled a tag in 5 days! The other 3 got Mulies around the 120's range, I settled for a nice whitetail doe on our last day. I passed up a couple 4 points and a 1.5yr old that was like 100". Turns out everyone shoots anything with antlers that is legal in that unit, so there are not many big ones, but they are there. I saw an upper 300" elk opening morning also, about 75 yards away, awesome. I also saw a large mountain lion at about 100 yards on a glassing tit, he/she watched us from the ridge and disappeared after a few seconds, never saw it again. All in all, we did very well and had an amazing time. It can be frustrating seeing so many people, but most of them do not want to walk very far *hint hint*.

OP
nicktzenevrakis
I'm going rifle in montana. Also looking for small game, upland bird and fishing tips.

Glendon Mullins

Hillbilly Moderator
Staff member
I'm going rifle in montana. Also looking for small game, upland bird and fishing tips.

I drew a Mt General Tag also, have you reviewed the hunt planner map on Montana fish and game website? there is a layer on there that will show you game distribution such as mule deer vs whitetail, upland birds, etc. really useful