My gear/pack layout from base layers to binos

fwafwow

WKR
Your socks come in yet? Been debating trying out some happy yaks but looking at kora as well. https://www.koraoutdoor.com/products/yak-wool-hiking-socks?variant=40794887422019
Not yet. They arrive Monday. I almost purchased some of the Kora "upside down" socks, but I couldn't tell from the website the percentage of wool, etc. used in each sock. I found that they are "a unique mix of yak wool, merino, nylon and Coolmax® Eco". I found references to their fabrics (Neema, Stratam, Yardang and Yushu) and the percentage yarns in each, but I couldn't seem to find which of those they use for their socks. Probably a minor issue, or I completely overlooked something, but I emailed them to ask. That was on 2/23 and I still haven't heard back.

If you figure out what they use, please let me know. They still look like an option I may consider.

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Why do you want merino and synthetic in the sock? At that point just buy any number of dozens of normal socks.

The point of Yak or camel wool is that it doesn’t have any merino in it. I’ve bought the socks from Mongulai, and there store on Etsy for 5 years.

I don’t necessarily. Just been looking at the different options but was frustrated like @fwafwow that kora doesn’t list how much yak they use in their socks.

Do you prefer the 100% yak mongulai then over the blend? I saw you mentioned earlier you’ve used both. Have you run them at all without liners?

Last edited:

Elmer J. Fudd

Lil-Rokslider
What do you usually end up paying total in shipping? Im wondering if the DHL option already has duties and taxes covered? I would prefer to get all charges done right off the bat.

2y2c

FNG
What do you usually end up paying total in shipping? Im wondering if the DHL option already has duties and taxes covered? I would prefer to get all charges done right off the bat.
Their Etsy store says free shipping. You wouldn’t have to deal with any duties, etc. mongulaiCOM was the name I saw them under.

fwafwow

WKR
Your socks come in yet? Been debating trying out some happy yaks but looking at kora as well. https://www.koraoutdoor.com/products/yak-wool-hiking-socks?variant=40794887422019
They arrived today. I ordered 3 pair. Two pair of the Purist (80% Yak and 20% acrylic) and one pair of the Adventurist (40% Yak cashmere, 40% Mongolian wool, 14% nylon, 6% elastic). All are size large (and I wear a size 11-11.5 shoe) and they fit well. They seem incredibly soft and comfortable, but so far I'm just wearing them around the house. I do wish they were a little higher - they come up to just below the bottom of my calf muscle.

prm

WKR
One of the nice benefits to some of the outer layer options Form has shown is that you can be near a campfire without fear of little holes in those expensive “high tech” outer layers. Just better fundamental durability. Leather, cotton, and wool are wonderful when done right. I wish I had known about the Red Kettle jackets and those pant options years ago.

SouthPaw

WKR
Gotcha, that makes sense. Have you thought about modifying a K3 bag to fit the K4 frame? I’m looking for a 6400 to do this to. K3 bag for winter applications makes a ton of sense after reading this.
FWIW (as another option/idea) the K3 bag fits perfectly to a current Kifaru duplex lite frame. With Kifaru announcing their new carbon frame, a steady stream of barely used (or new, pre-owned) Kifaru duplex lite frames will hit the marketplace and you can snag one cheap. Sew loops for fitting the K3 straps to the K-clips and you're done. Use a Kifaru Grab-it between the frame and bag for a meat shelf.

1_165715.jpg

More detailed instructions:

TOLeary

Lil-Rokslider
FWIW (as another option/idea) the K3 bag fits perfectly to a current Kifaru duplex lite frame. With Kifaru announcing their new carbon frame, a steady stream of barely used (or new, pre-owned) Kifaru duplex lite frames will hit the marketplace and you can snag one cheap. Sew loops for fitting the K3 straps to the K-clips and you're done. Use a Kifaru Grab-it between the frame and bag for a meat shelf.

View attachment 683802

More detailed instructions:

I did see this recently. I used Kifaru for the last 3 years and switched to the k4 a couple months ago. Kifarus stays don’t fit my back ans well ans the k4 otherwise I would’ve tried this out. Seems like it’s going to be harder to find the EXO 6400 than anything else

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
@Formidilosus — how do you like that knife? Tons of positive reviews on midway but the cheap price tag (<$20) is surprising.

The Canadian belt knife blade shape is fantastic- probably the best for gutting, skinning, and quartering that I’ve used. Have been mostly using Scandinavian and Finnish style knives for the last decade or so, and they too are very functional, and much better than almost any domestic style. However the Canadian knife is better.

The Cold Steel version is good. The stainless blade sharpens relatively easy and holds on an edge well enough. For $20 it’s incredible. However, all it made me do is want the original Grohmann #1 more- still waiting for it to show up. The MKC Jackstone is another version I have, though the handle shape and finger guard are both negatives to me in use.

fwafwow

WKR
Atlantic Rancher Ranger sweater. This is a merino blend with some synthetic and is THE sweater I have looked for years to find. It is warm, breathes excellently, dries well, durable, and extremely comfortable. By far my favorite mid layer even thought it is heavier than others.
I received one of these recently. I can’t believe how soft it is. And it’s thick/heavy. Can’t wait to get some use out of it.

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
I received one of these recently. I can’t believe how soft it is. And it’s thick/heavy. Can’t wait to get some use out of it.

It is thick, but I think you’ll be surprised how breathable it is. I can wear it while doing things that make me drenched in sweat with even a medium fleece.

fwafwow

WKR
It is thick, but I think you’ll be surprised how breathable it is. I can wear it while doing things that make me drenched in sweat with even a medium fleece.
My reference to thick/heavy isn’t a negative to me. I expect it will hold up well to hard use. The CS was also amazing - the owner was incredibly prompt in answering questions.

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
My reference to thick/heavy isn’t a negative to me. I expect it will hold up well to hard use. The CS was also amazing - the owner was incredibly prompt in answering questions.

I’ll be interested to know what you think after you’ve worn it awhile.

Are the ventile cotton jackets durable enough for pushing drives through thorn filled clear cuts, rhododendron and all other manner of nasty thickness? A top that can protect my upper body from all the cuts and scrapes, breathes well enough to prevent excessive sweating and can block wind/rain when I switch to a stander would be great to have.