Need sleep system education

WTNUT

Lil-Rokslider
I have read and read on this portion of the site for weeks now. I understand some sleep cold, others hot, and all have opinions. Thought it best I give you my situation. It has been decades since I slept out in cold weather. Had one good bag then and that was it from 9 degrees to 50 degrees. Most of those were elk hunts.

Today I can afford a lot more, but don’t limber up as easily.

My personal info is I am a cold sleeper, never enjoyed a mummy bag due to it being tight and generally sleep on my stomach or stomach/side.

Next May I am going to Cold Bay, Alaska for a spring bear hunt staying in a tent. It is a 16 day hunt with at least an extra day on the front. This May I watched the weather it was in the 30s most of the time with a lot of wind.

What do you recommend for a bag and pad or anything else I might consider. I saw several posts on other sleeping systems but not real sure I have them figured out. Thanks for your response in advance.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Team4LongGun

SUPER MODERATOR
Staff member
Will you be packing in all your own gear? This will help with recommendations.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Western Mountaineering Sequoia in their GWS outer material. It’s their wider “semi-rec” cut. I’m a stomach/side sleeper and it’s fantastic. 5 degree rated bag is perfect for me as cold sleeper when it’s in the 30s with windchill. I always bring a warmer bag than needed for the expected temps.

Get a properly rated pad to go with it and never look back.

WM Sequoia is a great option, take a look at the Feathered Friends Puffin too. As stated above, make sure you have a properly rated pad to pair with a quality bag.

Lando

WKR
Will you be packing in all your own gear? This will help with recommendations.
This is an important question, as the answer matters a lot on gear recommendations. If you have plenty of room and space/weight is not an issue, you can't beat a Wiggy's. For 20-30 degree temps, this will keep you plenty warm down to around zero: https://www.wiggys.com/sleeping-bags/hunter-super-light-with-hood-rectangular-sleeping-bag/

If space and weight are an issue, go with the Western Mountaineering Sequoia mentioned above or the Stone Glacier Chilkoot zero degree is also very good, but not quite as roomy as the Sequoia.

Last edited:
OP
W

WTNUT

Lil-Rokslider
This is an important question, as the answer matters a lot on gear recommendations. If you have plenty of room and space/weight is not an issue, you can't beat a Wiggy's. For 20-30 degree temps, this will keep you plenty warm down to around zero: https://www.wiggys.com/sleeping-bags/hunter-super-light-with-hood-rectangular-sleeping-bag/

If space and weight are an issue, go with the Western Mountaineering Sequoia mentioned above or the Stone Glacier Chilkoot zero degree is also very good, but not quite as roomy as the Sequoia.

The Wiggys do look considerably larger in terms of rolling around space. Are they really true on their temperature ratings? I think I am down to either WM or Wiggys.

I will also say I am only 6’ and 170lbs so not a real big guy so that helps.

Lando

WKR
The Wiggys do look considerably larger in terms of rolling around space. Are they really true on their temperature ratings? I think I am down to either WM or Wiggys.

I will also say I am only 6’ and 170lbs so not a real big guy so that helps.

I slept warm in my Wiggy's zero degree bag at 4 degrees in the open air in the back of my truck, so I'd say they are pretty close if not dead on.

Here's a pretty good example of how the Wiggy's handles moisture:

OP
W

WTNUT

Lil-Rokslider
Western Mountaineering Sequoia in their GWS outer material. It’s their wider “semi-rec” cut. I’m a stomach/side sleeper and it’s fantastic. 5 degree rated bag is perfect for me as cold sleeper when it’s in the 30s with windchill. I always bring a warmer bag than needed for the expected temps.

Get a properly rated pad to go with it and never look back.

How important is the GWS material. My guess is in Alaska where it is always wet that would help keep the bag dry by a landslide.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
How important is the GWS material. My guess is in Alaska where it is always wet that would help keep the bag dry by a landslide.

Their MF is excellent at keeping water away as well, but the GWS is next level. I’ve slept with just a tyvek sheet on the ground, and curled up all the way inside my GWS in multiple several hour rain storms overnight. Woke up, shook the water off the bag, stuffed it in the sack and went along my way. It really helps with blocking strong wings as well compared to the MF.

bow_hiker

FNG
I'm like you in that I am a cold sleeper and a stomach/side sleeper. I have found the pad is more important than the bag. I run an Exped downmat and when I'm looking at 0 degree Fahrenheit or below then I throw a closed cell foam under that. Unlike you I'm short so the 72" is fine but I do enjoy the 25 wide. I pack that in everywhere, damn the weight. I can't be much help on the bag, sorry.

wyosteve

WKR
Fwiw, I just finished my bear hunt in south central Alaska. Night temps were in upper 20’s, day upper 40’s. I used a Klymit Luxe pad and a Western Mountaineering Terralite. Bag is rated to 20 degrees and I stayed very warm. Plenty of room but a guy your size could get one of their smaller bags.

GotDraw?

WKR
Side sleeping is a bit colder of a position vs laying flat because more air circulates around you.
Lean toward getting a warmer bag for sure.

JL

Last edited:

Jakerex

WKR
I recommend the thermarest xtherm if you packing in your gear, for truck camping the thermarest mondoking is hard to beat…..better than my mattress at home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Clovis

Lil-Rokslider
Second for the thermarest mondo king. It is bulky and heavy compared to a backpacking pad but very warm and comfortable. It really depends on what constraints you have on gear--if weight/bulk not a serious factor bring a full size pillow, warm large down quilt or a roomy 0 degree bag and the mondoking. If it needs to be more like backpacking weight, I'd go for a large/wide exped downmat, the same quilt or bag and an exped mega pillow.