New 2021 Kifaru Xpac Bags?

bsnedeker

WKR
That’s beside an argali?
I know the argali is said to be a 7k ci pack but they seem smaller than others that are said to be that size.

lucky you got one so quick. I’ll know after this season if that’s the route to go or not and if it’s truly ment to be vs me gawking at a new shiny thing.
Yep, that's my baby! I think the 7k is with the snow collar up. I could take a pic with both of them fully extended if you'd like. I've never used it that way so just figured I'd show it with the collar as the lid.

No more pics today though, I'm going to go out on the river and not catch any fish!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

OP
thegoosano
Stuffed her with some sleeping bags, the dall is noticeably bigger, especially from side to side. It's a tiny bit taller as well but hard to tell from the pics.

6ac47cd944b01d1210a70188eada88f6.jpg
36d2d42866ade8552debb29f5f68b909.jpg

Edit: one pleasant surprise I found in the bag... it has a sleeve for a hydration bladder. I don't remember Aron mentioning that in his video.

These photos make me realize just how much cordura is on the face. It’s really probably at least 1/2 cordura and 1/2 xpac. And the parts like the face and lid are cordura which will see the most moisture. Gonna be interesting to see if the Xpac is really even functional and provides any waterproofness or if it’s just for looks. I’ll do a redneck test when the gnargali comes in.

Either way it looks badass lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
thegoosano
I am 99 percent sure the entire bag is made of Xpac with the Cordura as a face covering to increase durability so the bag will be highly water resistant and durable. That was the case with the Muskeg.

Actually this was a question several people have asked on arons Q&As on Instagram. He made it clear there is no Xpac under the cordura. But maybe snedeker can chime in and let us know what the inside of the dall looks like

OP
thegoosano
It was in regards to the new gnar and dall not the muskeg so that’s probably accurate for the muskeg. Aron also listed prices and weights that weren’t exactly right so it’s possible they could be like the muskeg with the Xpac backer.

Hopefully I’ll have the pack soon and know for sure!

OP
thegoosano
It was in the Q and A he said the gnargali was 2lb 5oz, cost $285 and that it didn’t have Xpac behind the cordura face. In the YouTube video it’s all correct with the latest specs. His numbers were probably based off early numbers from prototypes. So who knows if it’s Xpac lined all around or not. Sorry those IG story QAs are only up for 24hrs then go away

Bender

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
Afternoon guys, just wanted to hop in here and clear some stuff up. The Gnargali and Dall do not have Xpac behind the front panel but the bottom is 500d lined with Xpac. The purpose of these bags was to shave as much weight as possible while maintaining some higher performance with materials. A lot of our customers are going to have belt pouches on that back panel which will keep moisture from making its way through. While Xpac is very water resistant, I stab a bunch of holes in it to get everything together so take the "waterproofness" for what it's worth. Xpac on the sides was to help keep out some of the moisture while moving through brush. The back panel is made from 500d to hold up to the bartacks for the pockets, weapon straps and bottom bucket, as well as abrasion from leaning your pack against stuff. A lot of people didn't like the sleeve pocket on the Muskegs so I left it out on these and focused on weight savings instead. The VX21S fabric has a 210d face fabric with a thin fabric backer that can take some surface sewing but it can de-laminate very easily once the layers have been punctured and moisture gets in there. I try and keep the surface sewing to a minimum on Xpac if I have to sew through it, and I back it with webbing or another layer of fabric on the other side.

Mike, Aron is gonna be giving you a call here in a second. Let me know if you guys have any more questions on our gear.

That’s a winning idea, I used to have a 5500 on a Kifaru frame. Kifaru is a long ways behind EXO on the bag design front IMO.
They are just different, not behind IMO… I own both pack systems, and when I got my duplex lite frame, I figured I would use EXO bags on it, but I like the kifaru bags for their purpose… the Stryker xl is my favorite day hunting bag of any by any company.

I like the exo bags too, but not really more or less. The reckoning is also a nice, simple tough bag… heavier for sure, but not enough for me to notice or care for the application.

I would dig a SO Lanner on my duplex lite though!

OP
thegoosano
Thanks [mention]Bender [/mention]we all appreciate that breakdown I’m sure. That was my understanding as well and I should have mentioned it, no Xpac under the cordura to shed weight. I’ll be having a large and medium belt pouch on the face so ya that should help shed some water.

Can’t wait to get the gnar and start getting familiar with it

bsnedeker

WKR
Here she is empty, I'd say it sucks down pretty well. The water bottle pockets are still totally accessible. They do not have drain holes but they are made of stretch material, not xpac so I don't think they will collect water.
c8d51bd9e524fbce6618b9d27755695d.jpg
dc6e4a7edbc3e77b0c35f2a488bd875f.jpg

Last edited:
I don’t get it. Uses fairly light xpac but has cordura on the face. Seems like an odd mix of the two materials.

The gnargali published weight is heavier than a SG sky talus 6900 but it’s smaller, doesn’t have a lid, doesn’t have zipper access to the main compartment or zippered side pockets. And they cost the same.

They look cool I guess.

Yeah I completely agree. The SG sky archer 6400 is 5lbs-8oz with lid and has a full length side zipper. Makes no sense. and the sky archer has an internal spotting scope pocket.

bsnedeker

WKR
Yeah I completely agree. The SG sky archer 6400 is 5lbs-8oz with lid and has a full length side zipper. Makes no sense. and the sky archer has an internal spotting scope pocket.
How about you buy the SG and use it hard for 3 seasons. Let's compare how they each held up.

See you then!

How about you buy the SG and use it hard for 3 seasons. Let's compare how they each held up.

See you then!

I already own the SG and have used it for the last 2 years with amazing results. I have used Kifaru as well and love Kifaru. I do think Kifaru is the most durable pack; however, that's not what I was stating. My point I was trying to make is Kifaru must be using thicker Xpac and I do believe there are different types of 500d cordura and Kifaru uses the best. This is the only thing I can explain the weight difference as the sky archer is very comparable to the Gnargali.

See you then pal!!

Anozira

WKR
Anyone got their hands on the gnargali yet?

Wondering the same thing. I'm hoping someone can get one in their hand and verify the listed weights on their website.

If I'm understanding this correctly the Gnargali weighs 2lbs 12.48 oz.

Screenshot_2021-07-14 Gnargali (Bag Only) – Kifaru International.png

The Muskeg 5000 weighs 2lbs 8.8 oz.

Screenshot_2021-07-14 Muskeg (Bag Only) – Kifaru International.png

I understand the Gnargali has ~600ci more but it weighs more than the Muskeg and the Muskeg has a zipper lengthwise. I have grown very attached to the zipper on my hoodlum because it make it easy to quickly retrieve things that have migrated to the bottom of the pack.

I am looking for a lighter pack to replace my wife's 44 Mag which also serves as a backup pack for myself. It looks like I'm splitting hairs at this point between the packs. Looking forward to more feedback from the new pack owners before I make a decision.

Edit: I also just realized/remembered the Gnargali eliminates the need to use a gun bearer. That would make the Muskeg 5000 + gun bearer weigh the exact same as the gnargali. So it pretty much boils down to the preference of having a zipper on the Muskeg or having 600ci more space on the Gnargali.

Last edited: