New Mexico unit 12

Long time lurker. With GoHunt tools, it convinced my buddy and I to put in for Unit 12. We both drew this as our first selection (3rd rifle). Pretty excited.

However, after a scouting trip, we were a little discouraged with all of the gates closed this past weekend for grazing. As we understand now, the gates will open during hunting season. Lots of public and private.

Did the gates have No Trespassing signs and were on private?
If not, then just open the gate, drive through, and close it behind you if you are on public land.

If not, then just open the gate, drive through, and close it behind you if you are on public land.
Thank you for that information. Will keep our eyes posted for those signs.

If you're hunting BLM, state, or forest land in NM, you'll come across quite a few gates that are closed but not locked. You can open them and drive on through, closing them behind you. As long as you leave it like you found it, you're good to go.

Just make sure you aren't crossing into private land without the landowner's permission. Some of the private land has no trespassing signs, but not all of it.

If you're hunting BLM, state, or forest land in NM, you'll come across quite a few gates that are closed but not locked. You can open them and drive on through, closing them behind you. As long as you leave it like you found it, you're good to go.

Just make sure you aren't crossing into private land without the landowner's permission. Some of the private land has no trespassing signs, but not all of it.
Thank you for the heads up.

I have a hunt there at the end of October as well. I've scouted a few times already. Man, it's a huge unit! Not your typical mountain elk setting either. Lots of plateaus and open grasslands. I'm hopeful though.

Just saw this post. I live in 12.
6500'-9800' Mostly PJ's & grasslands. Mesas & canyons. Wide draws. Ancient volcanoes.
Few paved roads. Roads bad in most wet weather. Rain or thaws.
Only water is wells, drainage tanks. Seasonal streams that can become raging rivers for an hour in monsoon season.
Water is biggest factor. Feed & cover next.
Shaded camping on BLM limited. No camping on State Trust Lands. Again,no water.
Huge ranches & a few subdivisions. Few people. Wary people.
Lots of elk that can move a long ways or hole up in small pockets.
I've helped some folks out, and hear back from a couple.
Just was contacted by a guy I helped a few years ago on another site who saw me here now. Thanked me ,but did not fill tag on tough late bow hunt.Into elk but no tag filled.View attachment 182546
After good monsoons.View attachment 182554View attachment 182554View attachment 182546
Hi
I know this is an old post and prolly a long shot but doing research on my upcoming hunt and I see your name and how you live in Unit 12..it’s my first hunt to be honest.. We will be out there dec and was wondering if you could help or if you guide?
you can message me at [email protected]

HazzardTM

FNG
Hey are you still on here? I have a few questions about your hunt