New Mexico Unit 16D rifle tag

Heading to New Mexico next week to hunt first rifle in 16D. Any bow hunters have reports on the Bulls they were seeing ?
I heard from my outfitter that antler growth is great this year. Can't wait. I have killed a lot of bulls but nothing like what I expect I might see. I almost didn't apply because of the odds and then drew the tag.

codym

WKR
I saw a picture of the supposed governor tag kill. It was a 399 stud that came out of D. Premier hunt, have fun.

oopslala

FNG
Had eyes on a couple 360ish bulls before they dropped this spring off a not so great growth year last year, so they should be a fair amount bigger if they didn’t regress.

Also have a buddy who stuck a 370 bull and chased it all around the mountain for 5 days without recovering it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jwpenn

Lil-Rokslider
16B 1st hunt was slow. Hot and driest in years, at that time. Early rains were good and bulls put on good growth then the drought turned on and it got real dry and the rut didn't get going real good til mid month. 16D was in better shape as I understand. You should have bulging and bulls moving. It's rained since the bow hunts a few times. Congratulations on a great tag. Don't pass on a bull you'd shoot the last day on the first day. There should be solid 6xs pretty regularly but don't hold out for a 390 around the next ridge.... they're not all that big.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

chops24

WKR
Should be a fantastic hunt this is a good year for horn growth. a lot of big bulls hit the dirt in D and there are still a lot of big bulls left! One of the top 3 units in the state in my opinion. Good luck.

It looks like you just joined the forum so welcome, i hope you update this thread with how your hunt went.

OP
CAElkhunter
Thanks for the feedback guys. I have hunted Elk in Montana for 25 yrs I am not going down there to just shoot a bull. I would be happy eating the tag if I chase the right bull for 5 days and he wins.....but if he makes a mistake I will be happy to share the story. I hear they are still rutting so it might be interesting.

KHNC

WKR
I saw that several 16A/16D landowner tags sold for $15,500.00 this year. Fortunate that you drew this time! I just cant imagine why people are paying that amount of money for them. They were at 6500 a couple years ago. At this rate, and racket, NM will never be allowed to stop selling them. Too much of a money maker.

OP
CAElkhunter
I saw that several 16A/16D landowner tags sold for $15,500.00 this year. Fortunate that you drew this time! I just cant imagine why people are paying that amount of money for them. They were at 6500 a couple years ago. At this rate, and racket, NM will never be allowed to stop selling them. Too much of a money maker.
Unfortunately Elk hunting in states like NM, AZ, UT , WY is big money. At least NM you don’t have to spend 12 -18 yrs of buying licenses/preference points and have achance of drawing the dream tag. Albeit small you do have a chance. I am 12 yrs of buying points in WY and can’t even apply in top zones in yet.....now I just need to hike, have a little luck and shoot straight ...

Forest

WKR
I hunted D last year, the worst year in many many years unfortunately. You should have an exceptional hunt especially if you have a good outfitter. As mentioned above I wouldn't hold out for a 390 or anything crazy like that but you should have no issue seeing lots of great bulls if the weather cooperates. Good luck

OKL

FNG
Heading to New Mexico next week to hunt first rifle in 16D. Any bow hunters have reports on the Bulls they were seeing ?
I heard from my outfitter that antler growth is great this year. Can't wait. I have killed a lot of bulls but nothing like what I expect I might see. I almost didn't apply because of the odds and then drew the tag.
Great tag, congrats on the draw! I grew up in NM and had the privilege of hunting almost every year as a resident. Often wish I would have never left. There are amazing genetics where you are headed, and as a draw tag (presuming you’re a nonresident) it would not be unreasonable for you to consider this a once in a lifetime hunt. Sounds like you’re a very experienced elk hunter so my advice may or may not be helpful. But I’ll offer it up anyway. The rut in the southern units tends to hit later simply due to the warmer weather, so with any luck you’ll hear some bugles. I would focus on mid-mountain benches above 8000ft. If you do hear a bugle, don’t bugle back, just try to move in on them with a cow call. If the rut is winding down they won’t want to fight, they’ll just round up their cows and push away from you. Best of luck on your hunt hope you get that 350” plus wall hanger we all dream about. They’re there.

KHNC

WKR
Unfortunately Elk hunting in states like NM, AZ, UT , WY is big money. At least NM you don’t have to spend 12 -18 yrs of buying licenses/preference points and have achance of drawing the dream tag. Albeit small you do have a chance. I am 12 yrs of buying points in WY and can’t even apply in top zones in yet.....now I just need to hike, have a little luck and shoot straight ...
And hope you draw before you get too old to hunt. GOod luck on it!

OP
CAElkhunter
For the most part I have had great outfitter experiences in MT, CO. I have only had 2 really bad experiences. One was US Outfitters 15 yrs ago. The other was Mick Chapel who runs an Elk mill not a high quality guiding service.

I did some research and picked a guy highly recommended by a friend who I respect. He is supposed to be a young go getter with a lot of Gila experience. I will let you know who after the hunt.

OP
CAElkhunter
I can’t believe I just found this forum. Good interactive people and content

Awesome good luck. My brother just got done with the rifle hunt in 16b and was in elk everyday just didn’t make it happen.

OP
CAElkhunter
Horrible experience. Some of it was the full moon but most of it was the shit show called David Mathews Outfitting. My guide was a good guy but seemed a bit lost. Dave spent the whole week helping his nephew who guides for him and a client that couldn't walk. They spotted 3 bull over 380 for her. She couldn't get to any of them. Her guide carried her pack for her.... I hiked 10 miles per day and didn't see a bull over 280. I asked Dave on the 4 th day why he doesn't like getting elk killed because I could have easily gotten to any of the bulls he was finding for the other client. It was her first elk hunt , but her husband is a return client. She ended up trying a 950 yd shot, that is the closest she could get, missed 3 times. I can't believe they even let her shoot since she had only been to the range once. I have only hunted bulls for 25 yrs. and can hike anywhere....I told Dave good work he went 0 % that week. I have used outfitters all over the US for 25 yrs and have never experienced anything like I did that week. Some of the stories I heard about the shots they let clients take and the wounded bulls made me sick.