New pack hint on the Exo site.

That makes sense but doesn't address the question/issue. They can have the lid setup that way and still could've made it backwards compatible with the K2.
No not really, only way would have been to provide split end female or male
That makes sense but doesn't address the question/issue. They can have the lid setup that way and still could've made it backwards compatible with the K2.
Not really, the buckles are reversed and everything is now 1 inch. I actually find this to be a huge upgrade in my opinion. One of my biggest complaint was the use of 3/4 hardware on the K2. If you notice in my pictures the lid on the left has a male buckle, right side of the lid is a female. The bag straps are opposite, so left side is a female andnright side is male. The roll top collar have the same buckle orientation as the lid. Allowing the collar to buckles to itself like previous model but also we buckled to the bag straps for use without a lid.

Attachments

• 00A321F0-A329-4347-9880-5A36EDBDA4C3.jpeg
    00A321F0-A329-4347-9880-5A36EDBDA4C3.jpeg
    27.8 KB · Views: 79
  • A86F46E6-CC70-4D4B-8E3A-111E68A6F144.jpeg
    A86F46E6-CC70-4D4B-8E3A-111E68A6F144.jpeg
    90.4 KB · Views: 86
  • 945CB8C9-BAAF-4D67-8720-EA642773B00C.jpeg
    945CB8C9-BAAF-4D67-8720-EA642773B00C.jpeg
    421.5 KB · Views: 85
This picture shows the roll top collar being buckled into the bag straps with no lid and not buckled back on itself.

Attachments

• 4D6F869E-E4F0-4F19-85DB-3B79FC7278BF.jpeg
    4D6F869E-E4F0-4F19-85DB-3B79FC7278BF.jpeg
    358.1 KB · Views: 55

They dont want you to buy a new lid.
They want you to buy an entire k3 system.
If they make it to easy to put the new good stuff on the old frame they wont sell you a new pack.
I'm sure the only reason they offer the lid separate will be for the new smaller packs that dont come with one.

Its simple business.

They dont want you to buy a new lid.
They want you to buy an entire k3 system.
If they make it to easy to put the new good stuff on the old frame they wont sell you a new pack.
I'm sure the only reason they offer the lid separate will be for the new smaller packs that dont come with one.

Its simple business.
They did the same thing for the K2, if you ordered a bag separate it would not come with a lid. I agree this is a business move, however at the same time there are a lot of customers who buy one complete package, frame, bag and lid in one size and then buy a separate bag only in a different size. In this instance this actually saves the consumer money as he is already moving the new bag to the existing frame, why not move the lid too. That way the bag price is not $30-50 higher for a bag and lid purchase.

No not really, only way would have been to provide split end female or male

Not really, the buckles are reversed and everything is now 1 inch. I actually find this to be a huge upgrade in my opinion. One of my biggest complaint was the use of 3/4 hardware on the K2. If you notice in my pictures the lid on the left has a male buckle, right side of the lid is a female. The bag straps are opposite, so left side is a female andnright side is male. The roll top collar have the same buckle orientation as the lid. Allowing the collar to buckles to itself like previous model but also we buckled to the bag straps for use without a lid.
Those straps and buckles have nothing to do with attaching the lid to the frame. The attachment for the lid to the bag is completely separate from the frame to the lid. I agree that it is a nice feature of being able to do that with the roll top, but that doesn't affect the lid. They should throw 2 sets of buckles in at request. One side open ended to attach to the lid and the other side close ended for the straps on the K2 frame to thread through.

tdhanses

WKR
They did the same thing for the K2, if you ordered a bag separate it would not come with a lid. I agree this is a business move, however at the same time there are a lot of customers who buy one complete package, frame, bag and lid in one size and then buy a separate bag only in a different size. In this instance this actually saves the consumer money as he is already moving the new bag to the existing frame, why not move the lid too. That way the bag price is not $30-50 higher for a bag and lid purchase.

They always included a lid in the bag only purchases other then for the 2k. Just look under each of the bag only features.

tdhanses

WKR
K2 bags only did not include lids.

Wrong.. only the k2 2k bag only didn’t. Go look for yourself under features it’s clearly stated on the 3500 and 5500 that the bag only comes with a floating lid. 2k clearly lists it’s not. Also on the main page of each it lists what bag only doesn’t come with, lid is not on that list.

“This is the bag only and does not include the frame, hipbelt, or shoulder harness. Purchase a complete 3500 Pack System.”

“Floating Lid to expand storage, organize small items. Can be used as a compression panel, or removed when not needed”

Now I'm realizing, why wouldn't they outright tell us that the lid won't work on the older frames? Fine print on the lid page isn't exactly getting the word out there. If someone orders a bag only right now, then obviously they don't have a K3, the only frame the lid attaches to. If you're giving them the benefit of the doubt, which I am, then it must've been an oversight.

Those straps and buckles have nothing to do with attaching the lid to the frame. The attachment for the lid to the bag is completely separate from the frame to the lid. I agree that it is a nice feature of being able to do that with the roll top, but that doesn't affect the lid. They should throw 2 sets of buckles in at request. One side open ended to attach to the lid and the other side close ended for the straps on the K2 frame to thread through.
No for attaching the lid to the frame you are right it is not going to be an easy process, I now understand what you are saying. I would assume since the other buckle changes they didn’t see the point in doing the ladder lock setup. I think one video showed the attachment to the frame is also buckles. Will make removal of the lid MUCH easier. Also won’t have the excess webbing on the frame if not running a lid.

Wrong.. only the k2 2k bag only didn’t. Go look for yourself under features it’s clearly stated on the 3500 and 5500 that the bag only comes with a floating lid. 2k clearly lists it’s not. Also on the main page of each it lists what bag only doesn’t come with, lid is not on that list.

“This is the bag only and does not include the frame, hipbelt, or shoulder harness. Purchase a complete 3500 Pack System.”

“Floating Lid to expand storage, organize small items. Can be used as a compression panel, or removed when not needed”
I purchased a 2000 and 5500 bag one in 2017 and other in 2018 that did not come with lids.

tdhanses

WKR
I purchased a 2000 and 5500 bag one in 2017 and other in 2018 that did not come with lids.

You should of on the 5500. Then again which did you get in 2017? They might of not included it that year but in 2018 they did.

No for attaching the lid to the frame you are right it is not going to be an easy process, I now understand what you are saying. I would assume since the other buckle changes they didn’t see the point in doing the ladder lock setup. I think one video showed the attachment to the frame is also buckles. Will make removal of the lid MUCH easier. Also won’t have the excess webbing on the frame if not running a lid.
Ya that all makes sense and is a good improvement, but everyone who buys bag only will need to get 2 more sets of buckles to make it work. I'm sure exo will chime in after reading all this and will get everyone sorted out.

Jbehredt

WKR
Now I'm realizing, why wouldn't they outright tell us that the lid won't work on the older frames? Fine print on the lid page isn't exactly getting the word out there. If someone orders a bag only right now, then obviously they don't have a K3, the only frame the lid attaches to. If you're giving them the benefit of the doubt, which I am, then it must've been an oversight.

If this was a presidential election we’d call it the October surprise. I knew something. Was fishy with all of the pics not including lids. Strange move. I’m bummed. Was all set to pull the trigger on a 4800 but I’m not going to start frankenpacking a month before elk season.... assuming it would ship on time.

You should of on the 5500. Then again which did you get in 2017? They might of not included it that year but in 2018 they did.
5500 was 2017 and 2000 was early 2018. I knew the 2000 would not come with one but was honestly suprised when the 5500 didn’t. But then again I got everything all in ranger green to match my 2017 3500 full setup. So for me just moving the lid was no big deal.

Ya that all makes sense and is a good improvement, but everyone who buys bag only will need to get 2 more sets of buckles to make it work. I'm sure exo will chime in after reading all this and will get everyone sorted out.
Easy solution, buy the bags with a frame hahaha, no I completely understand what you are saying now. There are lots of users only wanting to upgrade the bag and it certainly will make things problematic. It might not be as big a deal though it the new lids attach to the bag itself and nothing to the frame. Therefore just tucking the 3/4 webbing on the K2 frame panel behind the shoulder straps and no big deal. I did order the full K3 4800, we will see when everything gets here.

Tick

WKR
Very disappointing and almost misleading if the K3 lid does not work with the K2 frame. It was mentioned many times in comments or videos that the bags would work with both. It is a reasonable assumption the lid would also work with both.