New rifle recommendations

49ereric

WKR
No one shoots a .270 win anymore it seems but consider it unless you plan on shooting way to far 😂

I don't like 6.5s on bear. I like bigger holes on something as covered in fat/hair as a bear. If you reload, the 28 Nosler is an unbelievable performer. If you don't, it's real hard to beat the 7 & 300 PRC for factory ammo quality/options/availability.

CoMulies

FNG
No one shoots a .270 win anymore it seems but consider it unless you plan on shooting way to far 😂

I went through this same exercise about a month ago looking for a do it all western rifle . Went back and forth on 6.5 prc vs .270 for ever. Stopped by bass pro once, saw 20 different boxes of .270 compared to ~3 boxes of 6.5 prc, all of which were twice as expensive. Bought a Weatherby Mark V Hunter in .270 win the next day and have since thrown a Trijicon credo 2.5-15x42 on top.

Inside of 500, you’re getting practically the same performance as the 6.5 prc. At the altitude I’m at (6k), the old .270 win is bringing the rule of thumb 1500 ft lbs for elk out to 600 yards with a 150 gr ABLR, and 500 yards with a 136 gr terminal ascent. That’s plenty good for me.

EmperorMA

WKR
Lots of choices. If recoil is the main concern, a 6 Creedmoor shooting 103 ELD-X or 108 ELD-M is the easy solution.

A 6.5 Creedmoor running any slippery bullet from 140 - 156gr should take care of you out to 600 yards with minimal recoil. Mine likes both the 142gr ABLR and the 147gr ELD-M. Those two bullets are all I'd ever need to do anything you're asking.

A 6.5 PRC running 143gr or higher improves on the Creedmoor's distance by another 100 yards or a bit more, although it won't have noticeably different recoil than your .30-'06.

The 6.8 Western is an awesome design that gets you even more bullet weight with about the same felt recoil as the 6.5 PRC. Bullets from 162 - 175gr fly flat and long and buck the wind and pack a punch upon arrival. Near the 6.5 PRC to approximating some of the smaller 7mm mags out there in the recoil department, this is about as big as I would personally go. This cartridge is a newbie so it doesn't have quite the support of the 6.5 Creedmoor or 6.5 PRC, but the support it does have is from Winchester and Browning, so you feel assured of good factory ammo supplies and a way to get brass.

A 7 PRC is what I would get if I could handle recoil well. With 175 - 180gr pills flying a bit faster than the 6.8 Western can launch them, it is a legit cartridge for almost any sane distance. It has a bit too much recoil for me, however, and I don't think I'd be as accurate with it as I would need to be to take advantage of its merits.

A ton of people use the various .300 mags and even larger. Having used several, I don't really find a need for them with the added recoil, weight and noise. If that is the girl you have your eye on, however, go for it. They will certainly get the job done.

If I were you, if you are wanting to keep two rifles and actually hunt with both of them, I'd go 6.5 Creed or even 6 Creed. Once you get into the 6.5 PRC and 6.8 Western the old '06 starts to look like too much of a redundancy with fewer and fewer reasons to choose it (at least that is how I would look at it). The one thing the '06 will always have going for it over the rest is that factory ammo for it will be a helluva lot cheaper (other than maybe the 6.5 Creedmoor)!

Pilsner

Lil-Rokslider
Lots of choices. If recoil is the main concern, a 6 Creedmoor shooting 103 ELD-X or 108 ELD-M is the easy solution.

A 6.5 Creedmoor running any slippery bullet from 140 - 156gr should take care of you out to 600 yards with minimal recoil. Mine likes both the 142gr ABLR and the 147gr ELD-M. Those two bullets are all I'd ever need to do anything you're asking.

A 6.5 PRC running 143gr or higher improves on the Creedmoor's distance by another 100 yards or a bit more, although it won't have noticeably different recoil than your .30-'06.

The 6.8 Western is an awesome design that gets you even more bullet weight with about the same felt recoil as the 6.5 PRC. Bullets from 162 - 175gr fly flat and long and buck the wind and pack a punch upon arrival. Near the 6.5 PRC to approximating some of the smaller 7mm mags out there in the recoil department, this is about as big as I would personally go. This cartridge is a newbie so it doesn't have quite the support of the 6.5 Creedmoor or 6.5 PRC, but the support it does have is from Winchester and Browning, so you feel assured of good factory ammo supplies and a way to get brass.

A 7 PRC is what I would get if I could handle recoil well. With 175 - 180gr pills flying a bit faster than the 6.8 Western can launch them, it is a legit cartridge for almost any sane distance. It has a bit too much recoil for me, however, and I don't think I'd be as accurate with it as I would need to be to take advantage of its merits.

A ton of people use the various .300 mags and even larger. Having used several, I don't really find a need for them with the added recoil, weight and noise. If that is the girl you have your eye on, however, go for it. They will certainly get the job done.

If I were you, if you are wanting to keep two rifles and actually hunt with both of them, I'd go 6.5 Creed or even 6 Creed. Once you get into the 6.5 PRC and 6.8 Western the old '06 starts to look like too much of a redundancy with fewer and fewer reasons to choose it (at least that is how I would look at it). The one thing the '06 will always have going for it over the rest is that factory ammo for it will be a helluva lot cheaper (other than maybe the 6.5 Creedmoor)!
Nearly all of those problems are solved by a mediocre suppressor.
Except cost.

SloppyJ

WKR
I think you have a strong case for 6.5prc, 300wsm, or another high octane short action.

QuackAttack

Lil-Rokslider
Hardware is a favorite topic on here.

Focus on software first. Master the basics of rifle work.

Although dated, this is an excellent book on getting the most out of your rifle. It’s from an era when brilliance in the basics was mandatory as rifles were basic.
https://www.abebooks.com/servlet/BookDetailsPL?bi=20034577830&cm_sp=det-_-bsk-_-bdp

The lessons and shooting tests in this book remain valid as they are field centric. This is an excellent book that every serious hunter should read. It’s not earth shattering, but it’s a solid assessment of human and rifle interaction, applied to field marksmanship.
https://www.abebooks.com/servlet/Bo...22006&sortby=17&cm_sp=snippet-_-srp1-_-title1

Software is more important and applicable than extreme hardware and giant optics. Master the box before you go outside it.

I know…it’s more fun to buy cool new gear…

nobody

WKR
Where do you get your replacement barrel(s)?
I bought a factory stainless lite takeoff from a member on here, that’s the one that’s in my safe right now. When I put it on I’ll just buy another factory takeoff of some flavor from somewhere like JA Outdoors or even on eBay or on here. Every one I’ve seen on any of those places has been between $100 and $200, and I only paid $120 for mine.

Otherwise, I would buy a shouldered prefit from preferred barrels out of southern Utah

fwafwow

WKR
I bought a factory stainless lite takeoff from a member on here, that’s the one that’s in my safe right now. When I put it on I’ll just buy another factory takeoff of some flavor from somewhere like JA Outdoors or even on eBay or on here. Every one I’ve seen on any of those places has been between $100 and $200, and I only paid $120 for mine.

Otherwise, I would buy a shouldered prefit from preferred barrels out of southern Utah
Thanks.

rrbailey

FNG
6.5 PRC would be a great next cartridge. Great components if you decide to hand load also. Velocities aren't great with factory ammo so I'd error on the 24" barrel side. The factory ammo, 147 ELDM will kill anything out to 600 yards pretty well.

I've had four 6.5 PRC's, two 28 Noslers, and four 300 Norma Mag Improved rifles. For what you’re asking, the 6.5 PRC is good to go.
What were your four 6.5 PRC’s and which one(s) were your standouts? I’m looking at that caliber for my next purchase as well.

ssimo

Lil-Rokslider
I love when barrel life is spoken about. How many people are actually going to shoot their hunting rifle that much?
I think barrel life is something to consider. If you have a 1000 rnds barrel life when the barrel is broke in you are already at 20% of its optimal life. If you practice a bit at the range with your hunting rifle or if you do some load developement, zero check after hunts and after your rifle takes rain and you have to disassemble it for maintenance, you can easily shoot 100 rounds every year and in 8 years after the break in your barrel is gone. You can swap the barrel but then you have to break in the barrel again and find again a load it likes? Undoable? No. Necessary for the small advantage for most hunter's use of a hunting rifle? No. In my opinion it is worth only for rigs intended for shots past 500 yards or for hunting very though animals.

Ps: everything depends on how many different rifles a hunter use. Still not a great idea to have more than 2 or 3 hunting rifles in my opinion, since knowing your rifle/scope/cartridge well is a big advantage when in the field and, if you keep on alternating between many rifles, you are just looking for issues. Btw if you decide to alternate between 5 or 6 rifles, the shots count goes down dramatically and barrel life becomes less of a concern.

Maybe my reasoning depends on the fact that i can take many animals every year, as far as i have understood in the US the average hunter takes in 10 years the animals i take in one year so also this way the barrel life becomes less important.

Davisjj8

Lil-Rokslider
Snag a seekins element in 6.5 PRC and you’ll be golden.

Very dependent on budget as well.