New Sako S20 Hunter in 6.5CM + Precision stock - what now?

fwafwow

WKR
Today I ended up pulling the trigger on the above. I'm still in love with my relatively new RSS, and that rifle is influencing what I might do with this new rifle.
  1. Cut the barrel? I'm going to suppress this. I initially wanted to cut it close to 16", but since it's already threaded, I would like to hear from anyone else who has an S20. (I'm not worried about the fluting or the cerakote.) Anyone done it and regret it? I run a TBAC Ultra 9 with a CB on my other rifles, so I think I have to add a CB in any event.
  2. Hunter vs. Precision - or hybrid? I had some reservations about the height of the heel on the Hunter stock in relation to the bore centerline, especially in anticipation of the RokStock, so I got a deal that includes the Precision butt stock (and forend). Does anyone "run" the hunter forend and Precision butt stock? Or vice versa?
  3. Scope? I've got 3 SWFAs (3-9, 3-15 and 6x - the last of which is currently on my RSS) and the NF SHV 3-10x42. I'm thinking of mounting the 3-15 on the S20. I already have a set of Seekins and Hawkins low rings.
Now to dig into ammo (hunting and practice) options, and price alerts.

I’ve only messed with the S20 a few times, but if it were me I’d shoot the crap out of it for a while as is with whatever stock feels best to you.

As for what scope to use: They’re all good, but I’d probably lean towards the 3-9 of those options.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Today I ended up pulling the trigger on the above. I'm still in love with my relatively new RSS, and that rifle is influencing what I might do with this new rifle.
  1. Cut the barrel? I'm going to suppress this. I initially wanted to cut it close to 16", but since it's already threaded, I would like to hear from anyone else who has an S20. (I'm not worried about the fluting or the cerakote.) Anyone done it and regret it? I run a TBAC Ultra 9 with a CB on my other rifles, so I think I have to add a CB in any event.

With a a TBAC 9, yes cut the barrel.

1. Hunter vs. Precision - or hybrid? I had some reservations about the height of the heel on the Hunter stock in relation to the bore centerline, especially in anticipation of the RokStock, so I got a deal that includes the Precision butt stock (and forend). Does anyone "run" the hunter forend and Precision butt stock? Or vice versa?

Hybrid is the jam for hunting. Precision butt, Hunter forend.

1. Scope? I've got 3 SWFAs (3-9, 3-15 and 6x - the last of which is currently on my RSS) and the NF SHV 3-10x42. I'm thinking of mounting the 3-15 on the S20. I already have a set of Seekins and Hawkins low rings.

SWFA 3-9x or 3-15x fits.

OP
fwafwow

fwafwow

WKR
For anyone considering the same purchase (including both stocks), I compared all of the deals I could find. Eurooptic has the lowest price for just the rifle (Hunter at $999.99 or Precision at $1099) - but that's before taxes and shipping. I compared buying both the rilfe and the extra stock from Euro, to buying the rifle from Euro and extra stock from other places (Ky Gun and Sportsman Outdoors). The best deal was getting the Hunter from Euro and the two parts of the Precision stock from Sportsman Outdoors - UNTIL I found a deal on both from Simmons Sporting Goods. The owner emailed me an answer to a question on Monday evening in 20 minutes and I completed the purchase that evening. My rifle shipped today.

OP
fwafwow

fwafwow

WKR
The rifle comes tomorrow. I'm going to take the advice of @JollyRoger and shoot it as-is, at least for a while. I've ordered the TBAC CB for the current threading. And now that my Garmin Xero C1 is inbound, I can take some MV readings. Then I'm going to ship the rifle to TBAC to cut it. I will use the same ammo for both before and after cutting and will report back the MV change after it's shortened.

I'm interested in what you think of it! I've only played with one Sako but I remember it feeling like a very smooth gun, and I don't remember how it would compare to my Tikkas but I think the Sako was nicer. I personally don't mind long barrels. I got done with deer season last week and hiked 8-10 miles in the brush every day with my 22" barrel and 9" suppressor the entire time. This was also my first year ditching the sling; I tried a few slings for a couple days but hunted almost the whole time with the 10lb gun in my hand. It's not bad. The weight on the end matters more than the length to me. I'm really interested in a Sako myself for all that you get at the current pricing. Let us know how it works, and share pics!

The beauty of that set up is all you have to do is mount the scope and go shoot. I'm a little bummed, when I was in the market for a 6.5 the s20 was at 1300. Break even for it being a better deal than the tikka + upgrades was 1100, and now the s20 is there or lower, but I've already got the tikka.

OP
fwafwow

fwafwow

WKR
The beauty of that set up is all you have to do is mount the scope and go shoot. I'm a little bummed, when I was in the market for a 6.5 the s20 was at 1300. Break even for it being a better deal than the tikka + upgrades was 1100, and now the s20 is there or lower, but I've already got the tikka.
I got the Hunter and Precision stock for $1299 - including tax and shipping. Will send pics when I pick it up. It was delivered today but I’m out hunting. Forgot my sling for my RSS.

@UpSideDown I will consider not cutting it. I usually hunt in the East, but the 6.5 is intended for a hoped for Wyoming trip next season.

@aman - I don’t know. From my perspective I bought the Sako in part for the stock, so I’m not sure why one might do that.

aman

FNG
I kind of want to get one of these but it seems Sako is discontinuing them? Want to make sure I could get replacement parts if needed

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
I don’t know. From my perspective I bought the Sako in part for the stock, so I’m not sure why one might do that.
Because I wanted to drop a T3x in an S20 stock.

At $999 the S20 is a heck of a deal.

I kind of want to get one of these but it seems Sako is discontinuing them? Want to make sure I could get replacement parts if needed
They’re being discontinued? I assumed that they just weren’t selling in the US and their price dropped at euro optic. Aren’t they the flagship Sako rifle?

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
They’re being discontinued? I assumed that they just weren’t selling in the US and their price dropped at euro optic. Aren’t they the flagship Sako rifle?
No, the S20 is more the budget Sako rifle, if a $1600 rifle can be called budget.

DOESLAYER

Lil-Rokslider
seems like they just released new colors for the stock also not too long ago that first lite camo pattern and those are regularly priced at Euro.

I guess the tactical grey is being phased out.

Last edited:

JGRaider

WKR
I've got a couple of T3X, a Tikka 695, a T3, a CTR, and now the S20. I've never modified any Tikka stock, recoil lug, spring, etc, and mount all my scopes straight to the integrated rail when possible. They all shoot great and I have killed countless animals with them all. That being said, the S20, IMO, is a notch above with the integral aluminum chassis, superb adjustable trigger, flush magazine, adjustable riser (I have the hunting model), and it is unbelievable accurate putting the first five rounds after boresighting into a 1/2" hole (6.5 PRC). They are all super smooth, reliable, and have superb barrels. Loading rounds out near the lands is easy to do in the T3X, CTR, and S20 due to generous mag box length.

OP
fwafwow

fwafwow

WKR
I have some pretty bad news. For me. I've found out that Sako has some S20 "accessories." Hmm - the scope mount needs to be investigated. And that thumb rest - wonder if that could be helpful? And that case that appears would hold the S20 and both stocks. And some other stuff. Also should be over analyzed, and price alerts set. And a few more magazines and some dummy rounds.

WTH is wrong with me.