New stone glacier pack?

jmez

WKR
One of the hallmarks of Stone Glacier is compression.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

slick

WKR
Couldn’t agree more.

Have an OG Sky 7400 that compresses down to nothing. I’d expect this to be the same.

Mine should be here today. I don’t see why this won’t be a game changer for guys who want lightweight gear. I have a solo on an evo and a 5900 on an x curve I love them both but I anticipate this pack taking the place of both of them for all my hunts. I’ll let you guys know how it turns out.

Mtwarden is correct, the stays are straight in the Terminus
Hey Kurt, can you speak to the noise of the fabric some? What I’ve found with xpac (which my little brain may not understand the difference) it would be super loud when it’s cold. Like opening a bag of potato chips just to get in my lid loud.

Is this fabric as loud as an xpac? Or softer/more flexible?

Also don’t think I missed it, but could you go into the water shedding ability of the fabric? I assume it’s fine for short mountain showers say in Colorado in Sept, but you wouldn’t want to hunt goats on Kodiak without a pack cover? Is my thinking correct there?

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Mine should be here today. I don’t see why this won’t be a game changer for guys who want lightweight gear. I have a solo on an evo and a 5900 on an x curve I love them both but I anticipate this pack taking the place of both of them for all my hunts. I’ll let you guys know how it turns out.

I think it is a game changer in many respects, but as I said above (and Kurt reiterated) that if you're hauling bulkier loads or quarters, this pack is not the pack you want. Also if you need a 7000-ish cubic inch bag for long trips, you're not going to have that capacity with this pack unless you plan on not harvesting an animal. You fill up that load cell with meat and it's going to take up a pretty decent amount volume away.

Clarktar

WKR
I think it is a game changer in many respects, but as I said above (and Kurt reiterated) that if you're hauling bulkier loads or quarters, this pack is not the pack you want. Also if you need a 7000-ish cubic inch bag for long trips, you're not going to have that capacity with this pack unless you plan on not harvesting an animal. You fill up that load cell with meat and it's going to take up a pretty decent amount volume away.
Hopefully I will be able to check one out with a stuff load cell to see just how much room is eaten up. I'm guessing this might not be the best option on a 5+ day alpine hunt where you hope to pack out the hide along with the meat etc.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Kurt

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
Brightwhite,
Ultra PE is a laminate fabric is very similar construction to Xpac, the face fabric laminated to waterproof backer. The fabric is louder than Cordura just like Xpac. The fabric also breaks in with use and becomes more flexible which does make it quieter over time, similar to how Cordura 500 becomes more pliable. Ultra PE will always be more noisy than Cordura, but the weight savings, increased durability, and waterproof laminate is a trade off I am more than happy to make for an alpine pack.
The waterproof fabric works very well wet weather, however in very heavy rain it is possible to push water through the seams, but it takes quite a lot of exposure. We have not able to duplicate water coming through the seams with the Terminus design and fabric in testing, however I have seen that happen with earlier Xpac and Dyneema laminate prototype packs I built and tested several years ago. Coastal hunts with heavy, sustained rain, I would suggest a rain cover, especially if you leave your pack outside at night. I don't carry a rain cover here in Montana with this pack regardless of the time of year.

MTwarden is exactly correct, this is a purpose built pack that does take a tight gear list. Keep in mind that approximately 2400 cubic inches will be used for boned meat on a deer/sheep/goat sized animal. This leaves 4600 for gear and cape. If planning on packing a full goat cape or scenarios like that, multiple trips or a buddy are going to be needed. On a 12 day sheep hunt this last season, I was at approximately 6000 cubic inches of gear/food going in, with approximately 3000+ cubic being nothing but food (14 days total.) The swap ends up being food volume for boned meat. Specific design was around carrying a boned animal, shoulder cape rolled up on top, capped skull, gear, and a couple days of food on the pack out. Here in MT, with sheep it would be cape on head as shown in some of our field photos of the pack on our website. If there are any concerns in regards to volume or versatility with the load shelf, the Evo frame or Xcurve frame are definitely a better choice you. However, for those that look at this pack and say "that is exactly what I have been looking for", this may be for you. In the end, I designed the Terminus for exactly what I wanted and needed, figuring there has to be customers out there looking for the same.

Another note, hydration is designed to be carried in the lid, a hose port is integrated into the lid. The hanging bladder location found on many packs against the frame cannot be used as this is the load cell area.

akbrett

FNG
word of caution for some people that might make the same mistake as me. the load cell “dry bag” allows blood to leach out. as kurt mentioned the new pack has a built in bag with drains to prevent soaking other gear.

this year sheep hunting i boned out a sheep put it into the load cell dry bag, then put it into the main compartment of my 7900 on top of my puffy jacket and pants. upon returning to camp and unloading my pack my puffys were completely saturated with blood. basically making them useless the rest of the trip.

schmalzy

WKR
I‘d be interested in how well in cinches down when carrying minimal day hunt gear (kill kit, water purifier, first aid, puffy, foam seat pad). Lots of pics online with it full.

75b15862687fe44dbfecb1cea5036b3a.jpg

This is with a 40 pound sandbag secured in the top half of pack. Compresses next to nothing when empty and since it’s all one piece (bag and frame) there is no flop.

Going to put a few miles on it tonight but initial thought are very favorable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

prm

WKR
So, if this load cell was filled with deboned meat, what would the meat weigh, roughly? Just wanting to get a feel for flexibility.

I often hear people complain they don’t have the volume to haul camp, and the meat. I guess I’m a wimp, but if I’m loaded with meat I’m not hauling camp too regardless of volume. I find a deboned elk is two or three max loads for me. 180-250lbs of meat depending on many factors. Camp is it’s own load.

So, if this load cell was filled with deboned meat, what would the meat weigh, roughly? Just wanting to get a feel for flexibility.

I often hear people complain they don’t have the volume to haul camp, and the meat. I guess I’m a wimp, but if I’m loaded with meat I’m not hauling camp too regardless of volume. I find a deboned elk is two or three max loads for me. 180-250lbs of meat depending on many factors. Camp is it’s own load.
So they designed this with an emphasis on sheep and mountain goats. A fully deboned Dall Sheep will be 60 lbs., as will a goat. Either one fills up their Load Cell Dry bag perfectly, which I assume is basically the size of the internal load cell.

If you are hauling a deboned sheep, horns and shoulder mount cape, figure 85 lbs. Based on my experience with the 5900 utilizing the load shelf, this pack should have the capacity to single carry all gear and animal inside the pack, ie. 115-135 lbs, if the terrain allows for it.

Last edited:

Ltsheets

Lil-Rokslider
Brightwhite,
Ultra PE is a laminate fabric is very similar construction to Xpac, the face fabric laminated to waterproof backer. The fabric is louder than Cordura just like Xpac. The fabric also breaks in with use and becomes more flexible which does make it quieter over time, similar to how Cordura 500 becomes more pliable. Ultra PE will always be more noisy than Cordura, but the weight savings, increased durability, and waterproof laminate is a trade off I am more than happy to make for an alpine pack.
The waterproof fabric works very well wet weather, however in very heavy rain it is possible to push water through the seams, but it takes quite a lot of exposure. We have not able to duplicate water coming through the seams with the Terminus design and fabric in testing, however I have seen that happen with earlier Xpac and Dyneema laminate prototype packs I built and tested several years ago. Coastal hunts with heavy, sustained rain, I would suggest a rain cover, especially if you leave your pack outside at night. I don't carry a rain cover here in Montana with this pack regardless of the time of year.

MTwarden is exactly correct, this is a purpose built pack that does take a tight gear list. Keep in mind that approximately 2400 cubic inches will be used for boned meat on a deer/sheep/goat sized animal. This leaves 4600 for gear and cape. If planning on packing a full goat cape or scenarios like that, multiple trips or a buddy are going to be needed. On a 12 day sheep hunt this last season, I was at approximately 6000 cubic inches of gear/food going in, with approximately 3000+ cubic being nothing but food (14 days total.) The swap ends up being food volume for boned meat. Specific design was around carrying a boned animal, shoulder cape rolled up on top, capped skull, gear, and a couple days of food on the pack out. Here in MT, with sheep it would be cape on head as shown in some of our field photos of the pack on our website. If there are any concerns in regards to volume or versatility with the load shelf, the Evo frame or Xcurve frame are definitely a better choice you. However, for those that look at this pack and say "that is exactly what I have been looking for", this may be for you. In the end, I designed the Terminus for exactly what I wanted and needed, figuring there has to be customers out there looking for the same.

Another note, hydration is designed to be carried in the lid, a hose port is integrated into the lid. The hanging bladder location found on many packs against the frame cannot be used as this is the load cell area.
Since you need to use the lid for a hydration bladder, what bladder works best?

schmalzy

WKR
Since you need to use the lid for a hydration bladder, what bladder works best?

I am testing out the hydrapack 3l seeker bladder. They sell an adapter to run a hose.

Previously the platypus style ones seemed to be more lid friendly.

Hmm I’m slightly interested in the new 2800. The spotter pocket looks to me like it can hold a BTX? I’m wondering if the 2800 includes the pocket for the BTX? If not I might grab one of these. My spotter is kind of a pain to haul around and takes up a lot of room in my packs

Ltsheets

Lil-Rokslider
I am testing out the hydrapack 3l seeker bladder. They sell an adapter to run a hose.

Previously the platypus style ones seemed to be more lid friendly.

Sounds good. Post up how it works when you know!

Kurt

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
Ben,
We do not have any short term plans to make any of our Xcurve or Evo frame bags in Ultra PE for 2022, but nothing is off the table here for 2023, and there is a lot of internal interest here as well for a similar product. Feel free to check back anytime on that and give input.

Unclericco,
The 2800 is a more full feature version of the original Approach. The front spotting scope pocket is large enough for up to 115 objectives with angled or straight eyepiece, however it is not large enough for a BTX eyepiece. I have tried to build a spotter pocket for the BTX with a 115, however it ended up so large that it just wasn't very functional on the outside of the pack. When the pack would roll over or be set on the ground, you had to be very careful to not let the BTX eyepiece contact the ground as it was the first point to hit. To protect the eyepiece from contacting we have suggested customers carry it inside the pack as it is also easier to protect it with other gear.

In regards to hydration bladders, I have been using the Platypus 2L Big zip as it fits well inside all of our lids, it also has the shaped bottom so that the hose/bladder do not get pinched. I am sure most 2 L will work, a full 3L is slightly large for the lid, however will work fine if not completely full. I also carry a couple Platypus 2L bottles on longer hunts where I know it will be a day or two between water. They are only 1.3 oz each, so I can carry 6 liters between camp sites if needed. For those that prefer a nalgene style water bottle to bladders (or on late hunts below freezing), we have also added a water bottle holder that attaches to the belt.

joedawjes

FNG
Somebody on here mentioned that they emailed customer service for more info. It sounds like the material is pretty noisy and wouldn't be great for timber sneaking.