New Truck/Camper/SxS setup....your thoughts?

slowyota

FNG
Your story is much like mine. With the exception I've been pulling trailers since before I had a drivers license.

I had an '08 Tundra that I bought new and absolutely loved. So when it came to buying a SXS in 2017 we decided to upgrade our travel trailer too. Wife was the exact same way - hated all toy haulers. Since I had pulled doubles before I figured why not again. I had this setup for 3 years and what we found is that the kids quickly outgrow the bunk beds. Although the entire platform towed really well - doubles are a PIA.

So fast forward to 2021 we decided to get a new trailer and finally convinced her they toy hauler was the way to go - muddy feet, cleanup are way easier, the double queen beds, the deck and the biggest factor - 100 gallons of water for camping.

So I had to part ways with the Tundra because it wasn't big enough for the 3116 that we bought. Broke my heart, but ended up with a '21 GMC 3500 and that is so freakin' nice that I don't miss the Tundra.

Hopefully it's as dependable as the Tundra was because after 13 years and 150K miles there wasn't a single thing wrong with that truck and never let me down. Fingers crossed.

It's a rough time to buy anything - I got lucky when we bought ours. Sold our trailer for more than what we originally paid and I what I sold the Tundra for made it much easier to the swallow the price tag of the new truck.

Attachments

• GMC & Stryker.jpg
    GMC & Stryker.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 103
  • Tundra Doubles.jpg
    Tundra Doubles.jpg
    365.5 KB · Views: 101

Wrench

WKR
Call mike....done.

I assume you’re aware, but most travel trailers are very poorly built, and I’m not sure that any of them in the 30 something foot range is going to hold up well on bad roads over time.

Do you really need the “luxury layout” like the fake walnut cabinets, granite countertops, etc? Most of them seem to be built towards people wanting something that looks like it’s made to live in full time, rather than be functional.

If you are handy, I’d look at buying a gooseneck trailer like the 32’ 16k lb Big Tex, putting a 20’ truck box on it, building that out with what you actually need in a camper, and then parking the SXS on the tail.

As a bonus, if you ended up with a vacation, lake, camp type property you could unload the box and leave it there permanently, and still have a gooseneck trailer.

There are also trailers like these, but assuming you have a 4 seater SXS, the things are getting so dang big it’s ridiculous.

BluMtn

WKR
I will throw my 2 cents in. Go Toyhauler route. The train setup is only legal in certain states. When looking at a bumper pull toyhauler and a SxS you need to have a tape measure with you. Know what the width and height are of the SxS and be generous with both measurements. If the Toyhauler has a rear slide measure with the slide closed and you will find that 90% of the SxS's on the market right now will not fit. When we last upgraded I was looking for a trailer with a slide and we looked at one with a rear slide and I told the salesman that our SxS would not fit in there. The salesman replied with a circus act contortion that you loaded the SxS first and then closed the slide making sure that everything was parked in the right place. Look for a kitchen slide up front, but then watch for the height with the couch in the up position and the roof of the SxS. If you go Fifth-Wheel with a garage you must measure again. Most of the smaller garages are 10' and again most SxS's will not fit. Min. 12' garage. Good Luck. And also look up floor plans on the internet and try and figure what you want, but remember there are only so many ways you can arrange a floor plan in a shoe box.

As a side note I worked around the trailer industry for 10 yrs and 95% of the travel trailers on the road today were built in one hour or less with the lightest cheapest materials available.

Steves29

FNG
1) 1 ton (minimum) 4x4 crew cab diesel dually
2) Truck camper
3) Flat bed or enclosed trailer

Put family in truck and truck camper. Put SxS on/in trailer.
This. So versatile. I run a truck camper and I can mount a dirtbike on the front or back or pull a cargo trailer for bigger loads.

WRO

WKR
I don't have a lot of recommendations on campers, If you're running a sxs though, camping locations are less of a concern.

I do highly recommend the Honda pioneer sxs's though. We run a 700 and a 1000 and IMHO they are probably the most versatile on the market.

Fatcamp

WKR
Granted his bed was heavy with boxes underneath and such. But it was just so much weight on the rear axle.

The double trailers is not legal in Oregon anyway not sure about other states.

Tandem pulling is complicated. You have to verify rules state by state. SD is wide open. WY has a length limit, OR says no way.

Even if legal, OP should not start his camper journey by tandem pulling. LOL

We did a walk through of another couple camper last summer that had room for a SxS. I will see if my wife remembers the model. It was very nice.

Fatcamp

WKR

Awesome rig. By far the best we have been in for people like us.

Did this myself, and my buddy went a different route.

He has a longbed Ram 3500 that he drives his Yamaha X4 into. BARELY fits into the bed and wheels sit on the tailgate that has to stay down. Severely limits his turning radius before smashing his propane tanks even with a hitch extension. Couple dents but he can usually get it done pulling a bunkhouse. I would not recommend this route and neither would he.

I got a Winnebago 29STT, but the weight was too much for my F250 - had to upgrade to a longbed F350. Ignore people saying a 3/4 ton will pull it all day long; pulling with a diesel is never an issue, it's the axle ratings and sway control that limit you. I've weighed my setup on a CAT scale and my F250 would have been way over payload/axle/tire ratings. Longbed F350 gives you nearly 4k lb payload with a loaded King Ranch+, plus a 48 gallon fuel tank. My toyhauler is massive and I didn't originally like the layout but after everything we all came around and wouldn't go back. Onboard generator, fuel station, 100 gallon fresh water tank, big living room, party deck...

My other buddy pulls a large Jayco Eagle HT with a shortbed F350 Tremor with 7.3L gasser. Smaller fuel tank with an engine that struggles to keep up in the mountains... Don't consider a gas truck if you're towing more than 9k lbs max IMO.

In short, get a toyhauler, longbed F350 and sleep well at night. If you want to camp in tighter spots fill up your longbed with an outfitter glamping tent setup and use a utility trailer for the SXS.

BluMtn

WKR
Hey Fatcamp have you looked at the 395MS? I love the sitting area. We are looking at upgrading to that one this spring.

Fatcamp

WKR
Hey Fatcamp have you looked at the 395MS? I love the sitting area. We are looking at upgrading to that one this spring.

Ooh, maybe this is the one. Either way, they make amazing tools.

Massive triple axle toyhaulers are nice, but those are solidly in dually only territory. Had a different buddy with one of those that tried to tow with a shortbed F350 - long story short they now have a small Lance bunkhouse and his wife drives the SUV to tow the SXS ...

They had multiple issues on forest roads in weather sliding off and just being overall unwieldy. Staying on pavement those are amazing.

Also, if you off-road at all while towing you probably don't want a 5th wheel. I've seen several guys smash their cab into the tailgate/bed rails while off camber. This is the only thing keeping me from going fiver.

HutchWV

FNG
lots of toy hauler options these days. it would be a lot simpler if you could find something acceptable without doing the flatbed thing.

ahlgringo

WKR
In short, get a toyhauler, longbed F350 and sleep well at night. If you want to camp in tighter spots fill up your longbed with an outfitter glamping tent setup and use a utility trailer for the SXS.[/QUOTE]

This is sound advice and the route I have gone- except I would plug 3500 into that f350 spot- ha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bow puller

Lil-Rokslider
My other buddy pulls a large Jayco Eagle HT with a shortbed F350 Tremor with 7.3L gasser. Smaller fuel tank with an engine that struggles to keep up in the mountains... Don't consider a gas truck if you're towing more than 9k lbs max IMO.
No offense but your buddy might have had a plug wire come loose? I have a 7.3, had a 6.7 powerstroke 6sp and prior ones. I have driven new Ram 6.7's of friends and the 7.3 gas is about equal in our experience to the standard output Cummins pulling wise. It's no 2020+ 10 speed powerstoke and needs higher rpms but it's night and day to other gassers.

A channel on you tube pulled the same 16k lb trailer up the Ike pass in CO where turbos shine with the duramax and cummins in about 8:20, neither could hold the speed limit. The 7.3 gas did it in 8:40, Chevy 6.6 gas was 3 min slower and ram 6.4 with 14k lbs was also 3 min slower. I had to really think about not ordering a new powerstroke as it's a beast but for the 10-12k that I pull, short commutes to my kids school in winter and lots of off roading the gas checked more boxes for me.

No it drives normal before/after. I'm a Ford fanboy and love the idea of the Godzilla motor, but pulling up a steep grade at 8k+ feet it simply ran out of pedal...

That doesn't happen with my buddies 2017 Cummins or even an old Ford 6.4L. nobody else I know runs a gasser towing anything larger than a 3k lb camper, so not much experience there.

OP - just never drive a newer diesel and you'll never know what you're missing. $10k difference but you get some back when you sell it...

Fatcamp

WKR
I think my gas F250 has a 40 gallon tank.

Has pretty good range and we get around pretty good. Tandem pull a 26' fifth wheel and a 16' boat. South Dakota is pretty flat and low though.