New truck?

amassi

WKR
I've heard nothing but horror stories as well on the 3.5 EcoBoost. Locally to me we have quite a bit of guys in the natural gas industry that have put a ton of hard miles on these trucks. Its not uncommon to hear of a motor needing 2 or 3 turbo's in 150K. Most Ford guys have since switched back to the naturally aspirated 5.0 coyote motor for good reason if their running a half ton pickup.

Although the 3.5 EcoBoost's are quite an impressive little power plant, their durability just isn't as good as other options IMO.
I've had 3 3.5 ecoboost f150 in a row
2011- 160,000 miles before totaled in car accident
2015- 155,000 miles when I sold to my brother it's his weekend rig and has about 175k now.
2018- 42,500 and counting
Never needed anything other than regular maintenance, brakes and tires.
1/2 my mileage is stop and go traffic the other half is towing a dump trailer or 10k pound boat.
My wife drives a 14 EcoBoost 2.7 with 128000 and counting but all driving and hauling very rarely tow with it.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

OP
Jacob Chapman
Well Fords out with their 5.0 talked to a mechanic, said the Triton motors are expensive after they rbout if warranty. Spark plugs get welded into the cylinders and are about $2500 to replace.

Dodge or Toyota it is

Well Fords out with their 5.0 talked to a mechanic, said the Triton motors are expensive after they rbout if warranty. Spark plugs get welded into the cylinders and are about $2500 to replace.

Dodge or Toyota it is
If were talking 1/2 ton trucks this is a no brainer for me. I made my living with wrenches for many years and I'd buy the Toyota first every time.
I currently own a newer Jeep, Ram, and Toyota. The Toyota is the only one that's never been in for service.

$2500 for spark plugs in a 5.4? 3.5's needing 3 turbos to hit 150k? Lots of misinformation in here, or maybe just Toyota owners trying to justify?

They justify themselves. Really no need to justify them anyways lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Titan

WKR
Yeah, surely he was referring to 04-07/08 Ford 5.4 spark plug issues (where the bottom piece breaks off into the cylinder).

You will see mechanics charging $800+ for a plug change. If they break one off, they will charge extra.

I've had some friends looking at those year model F-150s. A lot of people ditched them around 100,000 miles before the plug change was needed. I did 2 plug changes and never broke one...I think I got lucky.

Bisley45

Lil-Rokslider
Bought my 2012 f150 ecoboost max tow package in 2016 with 42k miles, I uploaded custom tunes at 50k miles. I typically run the 89 octane performance/tow tune, but for shiggles I run the 91 octane performance tune (holy mackerel it's quick). I have 94k miles on it now and have changes the spark plugs a couple time (preventative maintenance for a tuned turbo motor), and a battery. It's very rare to hear about turbos failing on these rigs from actual owners, however non owners will preach it as the gospel

I used to tow the goose neck trailer and tractor that scaled 9,800 lbs, it towed that load very well. Dad bought a new tractor that's much heavier, it towed it to the CAT scale down the road and it weighed 15,500.... power and brakes were there but the chassis was stupid overloaded, glad it was only a couple miles back to the farm.

Folks get scared of technology and often times it's unwarranted. The "common" problem with the 3.5 ecoboost motors is timing chain stretch and wear in the 2011-2014 models.

I'll be getting a f250 6.2 or Ram 2500 6.4 next for suspension to haul the tractor.

I have a 2017 tundra at the office as my work truck, it's just ok. Aside from the horrible fuel millage it's not bad but it's nothing to write home about either.

I've heard alot of good things about the Ford v10 other than the fuel mileage of course,hear of guys putting 350,000 miles on them with minimal issue.

Billinsd

WKR
They justify themselves. Really no need to justify them anyways lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Toyota owners don't bash other cars to make themselves feel good. I'm not married to Toyota or Honda. I'm just real frugal and extremely conservative, when it comes to buying cars, which are a horrible investment. They are a necessity. I'll buy the best value I can find in a car that I like, not love, that's reliable. I'd be tickled to buy a car or truck other a Honda or Toyota that's as reliable. Especially at a cheaper price. Toyotas and Hondas seem to be very expensive. Bill
I've heard alot of good things about the Ford v10 other than the fuel mileage of course,hear of guys putting 350,000 miles on them with minimal issue.
What's minimum issue? Is putting 350k rare or common? Do they run 350k miles with the same head gasket? I recently ran a bare bones 2000 civic to 250k, when the head gasket gave in. It would have cost me $2k to fix it, but I was tired of looking at it. I also replaced the motor mounts at 200k, water pump and timing belt at 100 and 200k. The front wheel bearings at 220k. Hoses and belts too, and radiator at 200k. I was pretty happy with that for a car I bought brand new in 2001 for $12k out the door.

Last edited:

Billinsd

WKR
I have a 2017 tundra at the office as my work truck, it's just ok. Aside from the horrible fuel millage it's not bad but it's nothing to write home about either.
Yep, bad mpg, same with Tacomas. Not exciting either. They seem pretty expensive too. Reliable? Yup. I'm all over that; especially when I'm hunting alone far from home and far off the blue highway.

The issue they have is intake manifold bolts stretching and guys usually have them changed and new gaskets around the 150,000 mile mark from what I understand and the trucks those engines came in are prone to rust so if the body holds up your good to go,that seems to be something I've noticed these last few years with all manufacturers, rust issues on trucks that are only 5 or 6 years old....makes me wonder where they are getting their steel from.

wentright

FNG
Have always been a Ford guy ordered my 2008 f-150 and still have it. I really like the look of the new Chevy trail-boss. Just can’t bring myself to buy one.

I have a 2000 Ford F250 superduy with 277 thousand miles on it. I have been thinking about getting a new truck too. But old Betsy runs like a dream, so I am still holding out. Betsy is going to be bouncing down more trails this season.

Last edited:

rgrmike

Lil-Rokslider
My last truck was a 2005 Tundra 4x4 Double Cab 4.7...I purchased it in 2010 for $20,400 OTD....I put 100K miles on it and sold it 8 years later for $14,500.....That's hard to beat. Not one issue with the truck.

I just purchased (maybe 12 months ago) a 2018 SR5 Tundra 4x4 5.7.......It's the base model. I think it was $36,000 OTD with a spray in bed liner and tinted windows. Brand new off the lot.

You take a huge hit buying decked out pick-ups. A Base F150 will hold it's value better than a Platinum. There's a huge mark up on accessories/packages. If you have to have the bells and whistles I get it.

The beauty of the 5.7 Tundra is it's a proven, simple, reliable truck that holds it's value better than most. I agree it's outdated etc....BUT.......every Ram owner I know has issues. It's kinda comical to me. My neighbor just got a Ram Rebel....he loves it.....I'm not exaggerating its been in the shop 1/2 dozen times in the first year. I would never buy a Chrysler product. The Fords are difficult to work on, expensive etc.

Everyone talks about gas mileage. Do the math on how long it'll take you recoup the difference in purchase price in comparison to the difference in fuel costs....That's why for most people it makes zero sense to purchase a diesel.....If you need/want one that's another thing but you'll never make up the difference in fuel cost which is an argument I hear all the time.

sam hill

FNG
This my 36 th year driving a Toyota Landcruiser , not the same one . First one lasted 22 years , middle one had a gas motor so had it for 2 years. Third one is going on 12 years since I imported from Japan with 90,00 kms on it. My wife bought a 2017 Tacoma 4 door Off Road, nice truck but nowhere near build toughness as the Landcruiser. To bad we can't get new 70 series Cruisers in North America.

Jason__G

FNG
Had a 2013 Ram1500. Nothing but issues. Dim headlights, poor build quality, terrible off-road performance.
Headlights were dimmer than I was used to from day one. Dodge said it was normal due to charging voltage. Design flaw that had the high-beam indicator located in a position in the cluster that made it impossible to cover while driving with either the wheel or your hands and it didn't dim with the dash lights, just a bright blue distraction. Ended up covering it with tape.
Build quality was poor, lots of rattles under a year. Even had a thumb print inside the instrument cluster where it was sealed into the assembly from day one. Dodge didn't respond to emails and I didn't care enough to pursue, just thought that it spoke volumes about quality control.
Over the 2.5 years that I had the Ram, I spent about $2,500 on repairs. Had a passenger door window switch fail that wasn't warranty. Had a wiring harness in the rear passenger wheel area 'just fail' according to Dodge. They told me that it just came apart and wasn't warranty. When it failed I was out hunting and lost ability to go into or out of 4wd.
Off-road it was the worst truck that I have ever owned. I don't do a lot of hard roads, but I drive a lot of forest service and gravel roads. The Ram was over powered and too light in the rear end. I had to go into 4wd on any gravel road and on most dirt roads to keep the back end from breaking loose and fish-tailing. Had good off-road tires and still squirrel-ly as heck. This also translated into bad snow performance.
Dumped the Ram for a 2016 Tundra TRDPro and haven't regretted it one bit. Mileage is about 16-17. Does gravel and forest service roads as fast as I want to go. Tow capacity de-rated due to the softer suspension, but pulls my boat and cargo trailers just fine. Tech is good enough and works like it's supposed to. Leather is easy to clean dust and mud off of. Added some weather tech liners and good to go.
Say what you want about Toyota owners, but I will keep owning them. For the first year and a half, my truck actually appreciated in value. I paid about 46 out the door and it was up to mid-50's at one point private party. I just checked and I can still trade it in for 37k today or private party list it for 40k. In three years and 39k miles it has barely depreciated. So far, only tires, oil, and wipers. Very few other trucks hold value like Toyota. When I traded that Ram in, it had dropped well over half of it's value in 2.5 years.
Also my dealer told me that the year that I bought it, Toyota had fallen to the #2 most American built truck. They build something like 86% of the truck in Texas and that year, some other company had gotten to 87% American made. My numbers on the percentages may not be correct, but the point is that no truck is 100% American made. Every one of them gets some parts here, some parts there, components made in one country are put together in another country and profits go to executives and shareholders all over the world.

generalist

Lil-Rokslider
$2500 for spark plugs in a 5.4? 3.5's needing 3 turbos to hit 150k? Lots of misinformation in here, or maybe just Toyota owners trying to justify?

I tried doing the plugs myself and after snapping 2 of the 4 plugs, I called around. From official dealerships to hole in the wall shops, the average was like $600-$800 for all 8. Basically they were all assuming the entire 8 would break and figured in the labor hours for that. Just avoid that motor, it's nothing to write home about anyways in regards to performance.