Nosler Model 21

Just got my phone call back. My issue was, I hit the wrong button when calling in.. so not being called yesterday was 100% my fault. So David, if you are reading this I completely apologize for being harsh posting I hadn't heard back from you :(
I talked to David for about an hour. First off, they are seeing 1 out of 8 PRC's having our issue. It's not every PRC and one that was sent in, for repair, has already been sent back to the customer and it just required some manipulation on the follower spring. They are working on the fix right now and hoping to have that done very soon. They are not sure if every gun will have to be sent back in or if they will be able to just send this fix out (which is what they are hoping for). The main engineer behind the birth of the Nosler rounds is now dedicated to resolving this issue (Mike). It's all about Spring crush and they are designing a new follower spring to resolve the issue. This is a top priority for Nosler right now and I know I feel a lot better.
David was super responsive to all my questions and I know we are all frustrated and I can tell, Nosler wants to fix this right. I know, in the end, I just like shooting stuff but I told him on mine I can almost get by with just 2 rounds and we talked how mine is probably one of the guns right on the edge of being correct. He did say, every gun from now on will be HIGHLY tested even more rigorous. This came from Mr. Nosler himself. David and the team wishes they would have seen this issue, but they are trying to make the best with what has happened and working hard on this. I've had issues with other guns before, so I will let them do their work and see where this goes. I believe, every day they have figured something else out, but it does not sound like we will have to have any cutting on these guns. The stock was mentioned on that it only allows so much real estate and that is one of the issues, but if a follower spring is the fix.. I'll be super happy on that!
With my hunting season over, it's not like I need it tomorrow and I hope they have a fix very soon :)

Oakleys

FNG
Looks like I’ll buy the PRC and take my chances since they have a really good deal on them rite now!

Knoxp

Lil-Rokslider
Just got my phone call back. My issue was, I hit the wrong button when calling in.. so not being called yesterday was 100% my fault. So David, if you are reading this I completely apologize for being harsh posting I hadn't heard back from you :(
I talked to David for about an hour. First off, they are seeing 1 out of 8 PRC's having our issue. It's not every PRC and one that was sent in, for repair, has already been sent back to the customer and it just required some manipulation on the follower spring. They are working on the fix right now and hoping to have that done very soon. They are not sure if every gun will have to be sent back in or if they will be able to just send this fix out (which is what they are hoping for). The main engineer behind the birth of the Nosler rounds is now dedicated to resolving this issue (Mike). It's all about Spring crush and they are designing a new follower spring to resolve the issue. This is a top priority for Nosler right now and I know I feel a lot better.
David was super responsive to all my questions and I know we are all frustrated and I can tell, Nosler wants to fix this right. I know, in the end, I just like shooting stuff but I told him on mine I can almost get by with just 2 rounds and we talked how mine is probably one of the guns right on the edge of being correct. He did say, every gun from now on will be HIGHLY tested even more rigorous. This came from Mr. Nosler himself. David and the team wishes they would have seen this issue, but they are trying to make the best with what has happened and working hard on this. I've had issues with other guns before, so I will let them do their work and see where this goes. I believe, every day they have figured something else out, but it does not sound like we will have to have any cutting on these guns. The stock was mentioned on that it only allows so much real estate and that is one of the issues, but if a follower spring is the fix.. I'll be super happy on that!
With my hunting season over, it's not like I need it tomorrow and I hope they have a fix very soon :)

The one has already been sent back to the customer? That is confusing…. I don’t think any of the three folks here have heard anything of the such. If it’s just the follower spring that seems simple, if it’s only one in 8, how is it that the three rifles they have now are within 30 SN digits, and the digits between were of all different calibers.

Just trying to understand.

OP
Wapiti151

Wapiti151

WKR
This just made me feel so much better about this situation, and I am not nearly as hot as I was earlier. I don't even know if my gun is affected or not, so can't personally go too hard into them on the phone or email. It sounds like they are working hard on their end to come up with a solution, which is all we can really ask as a consumer. Hopefully I will know soon if my rifle is one of the 1-8s, and hopefully you guys who have the known issue get your rifles back soon! Jefferson in this thread sounds like he's going to try and ship me a few rounds, which i cannot be more thankful for to test! Love this forum.

The one has already been sent back to the customer? That is confusing…. I don’t think any of the three folks here have heard anything of the such. If it’s just the follower spring that seems simple, if it’s only one in 8, how is it that the three rifles they have now are within 30 SN digits, and the digits between were of all different calibers.

Just trying to understand.
Yes one has already been sent back to a customer and David said that customer was super happy. I think that might have been "patient zero".

Wondering if it's the spring tolerance from the manufacturer? He did make it sound like, they would be building their own for the PRC from now on.

I think they have a lot left to digest and learn, but it did sound like they are making head way and going in the right direction. He told me Mike was there at 5 am and didn't leave until super late last night working on designs.

Looks like I’ll buy the PRC and take my chances since they have a really good deal on them rite now!
He mentioned that they were going to have to raise the prices, so now would be the time to buy one. I know, I love mine it shoots amazing! David told me their test 6.5 PRC best group is .292" at 100 yards with a 5 shot group. I'm not that good of a shooter, but mine shoots amazing and he told me the 140gr Accubond ammo should shoot the best out of it.

I wish I didn't have my issue and I know they wish this didn't happen. I've calmed down some and I was sitting there thinking, this is a small American company that they have all hands on deck right now. I've bought brand new vehicles that the next day, it was in the shop... it happens, it's how it is handled that makes the difference.

We can always do better at communication and I think I pictured 100s of workers for them. They are a truly small company built on American pride. I told David, I would let them do their job and email him every now and then to check in.

Knoxp

Lil-Rokslider
It’s great that all y’all without rifles at their shops are the ones getting these updates…. No offense and glad y’all feel better.

Wish I had some of the same opinions, and you can read back where I said I would give them time and that I thought the would make it right….

OP
Wapiti151

Wapiti151

WKR
Got a call from David today from Nosler. Awesome guy and I feel very good about the next steps. It is 100% a spring issue and nothing else according to everything I was told. They are currently working on a spring redesign in house instead of just using the Wyatt's spring/mag box combo. This apparently caused an issue because they were using 300WSM follower springs for the 6.5PRC. There won't be any major modifications needed to the stock, receiver, mag well, etc and from what I understand, at the VERY most, they will do new bottom metal.

Either way, sounds like chances are that this will be a really easy fix when they find the solution. If you have an affected rifle (and didn't send it in), they will just send you the new spring. Most likely, they will just send new springs to anyone within a specific serial number range. The possibility is still there that anyone with the issue would have to send the rifle back, if the fix isn't as simple as a spring sent to the customer. I'm confident they have found the problem and are working to resolve it. I still hope my rifle isn't impacted, but if it is...hunting season is 8 months away.

My GUESS would be, if you are one of the confirmed 6 or so rifles that they have gotten back...they will wait to send your gun back to you until they have this spring redesign done and will go ahead and fix. David also mentioned that 1-8 figure when it comes to confirmed guns that they know of that have this issue.

I feel for y'all that are waiting on your guns to come back. I've been there and it's no fun...but they are a good company and I bet a pretty penny your gun comes back with ammo and some other fun stuff to make up for the time without your rifle.

Well I’m glad someone got communicated with lol. I mean why not put all that into an email and send it out to everyone who has a rifle sitting there. They have communicated to a couple people today it sounds like but not all. I’m glad y’all got to talk to the man and it sounds like they are doing something. I’ll be patient with them for a few weeks before I ask for my money back. I saved for a year to buy it to shoot not sit in a safe.

It’s great that all y’all without rifles at their shops are the ones getting these updates…. No offense and glad y’all feel better.

Wish I had some of the same opinions, and you can read back where I said I would give them time and that I thought the would make it right….
Exactly

This just made me feel so much better about this situation, and I am not nearly as hot as I was earlier. I don't even know if my gun is affected or not, so can't personally go too hard into them on the phone or email. It sounds like they are working hard on their end to come up with a solution, which is all we can really ask as a consumer. Hopefully I will know soon if my rifle is one of the 1-8s, and hopefully you guys who have the known issue get your rifles back soon! Jefferson in this thread sounds like he's going to try and ship me a few rounds, which i cannot be more thankful for to test! Love this forum.
Yes I’m going to get ya 3 rounds out tomorrow

OP
Wapiti151

Wapiti151

WKR
Yes I’m going to get ya 3 rounds out tomorrow
Can’t thank you enough!

Yeah It seems like they’ve found some answers in the last few days since you got your email. I agree, a blanket email to those contacts that they have, would be a good idea. David did say he has a list of M21 6.5PRC folks that have called, with all contact information and plans to follow up.

My guess is that they are waiting until they can provide a rock solid answer to the problem. It appears that it’s between mag spring and bottom metal right now. If they send just that out, it may cause more questions than answers…idk? Maybe after they figure out which direction to go, they’ll communicate that info to you guys who have rifles there and will have a timeline to go with it. If it ends up being just a mag spring, get it back and shoot it…then when they get that mag spring built out, they can just send it to you.

Be350ka

Lil-Rokslider
Can’t thank you enough!

Yeah It seems like they’ve found some answers in the last few days since you got your email. I agree, a blanket email to those contacts that they have, would be a good idea. David did say he has a list of M21 6.5PRC folks that have called, with all contact information and plans to follow up.

My guess is that they are waiting until they can provide a rock solid answer to the problem. It appears that it’s between mag spring and bottom metal right now. If they send just that out, it may cause more questions than answers…idk? Maybe after they figure out which direction to go, they’ll communicate that info to you guys who have rifles there and will have a timeline to go with it. If it ends up being just a mag spring, get it back and shoot it…then when they get that mag spring built out, they can just send it to you.
For everyone still involved, I hope it’s as simple as a spring. However, the brass horror show that I experienced wasn’t because of the spring...entirely. The case was getting gouged from every side through the “feed”. From what I saw, it seems as if the case is dragging on the receiver creating a fairly violent feed when the bolt would actually pick up the next round. I’m no gun smith, but it isn’t difficult to watch a chain of events from the top down.

I’ve never seen brass look like this from several feed and ejections. Misfeeds too where the bolt override the cartridge.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    203.4 KB · Views: 43
For everyone still involved, I hope it’s as simple as a spring. However, the brass horror show that I experienced wasn’t because of the spring...entirely. The case was getting gouged from every side through the “feed”. From what I saw, it seems as if the case is dragging on the receiver creating a fairly violent feed when the bolt would actually pick up the next round. I’m no gun smith, but it isn’t difficult to watch a chain of events from the top down.

I’ve never seen brass look like this from several feed and ejections. Misfeeds too where the bolt override the cartridge.
I have a Remington 300 saum that does the same thing. I may order a Wyatt follower and try to locate a new spring

Yes! Exactly! It gouged the crap out of mine which is why I thought the receiver was not milled out enough. I also don’t think wyatts makes a defective product. It seems to me they are trying to make they’re own bottom metal to work around what they did or didn’t do in regards to milling, because it’s the cheaper and easier fix. I hope I’m wrong in saying that. I doubt the will ever admit what exactly the problem is and how it happened. I’m not buying the 1-8 theory either.

Yes! Exactly! It gouged the crap out of mine which is why I thought the receiver was not milled out enough. I also don’t think wyatts makes a defective product. It seems to me they are trying to make they’re own bottom metal to work around what they did or didn’t do in regards to milling, because it’s the cheaper and easier fix. I hope I’m wrong in saying that. I doubt the will ever admit what exactly the problem is and how it happened. I’m not buying the 1-8 theory either.
We will see on the 1-8 theory... just ordered a second one for my son :) He loves mine, so figured why not get him one.

I had a brand new Barrett Fieldcraft in 308 once that did the exact same thing.

I ordered a Barrett Field craft because it works. I am hopeful that your rifles bring good success and are part of many great hunts.

And your a good dad!
Are they making them again? I looked at them, but thought they had stopped producing them and couldn't find any anywhere :( I almost bought a seekins, but the action on both were so freaking rough, I couldn't do it. It reminded me of my ruger american. This Nosler was the first one I have ever bought without handling first. It's probably a good thing I do not get around a lot of higher end guns. Darn covid has made me start buying guns again :)

As my son grows up, try to keep him around me as much as possible! He doesn't hunt much, but love him by me shooting!