onX hunt inaccurate property lines

16Bore

WKR
You guys do understand that the earth is round and plats are “flat”, right? So when you overlay a 2D image on a 3D image, it’s skewed.

But we live in an age where people can’t chew their own phuqqin food, so I have no pity for someone who can’t read a disclaimer, a survey, or a damn forestry map.

ODB

WKR
On my super-secret turkey spot there is a road that has been closed since 1964. Yet, delorme, Tom-Tom, google, etc etc all routinely send tractor trailers Down my friends driveway to their (both) frustration. I’ve personally contacted all of the above with the information and it has still not bee corrected. Point is, shit ain’t perfect.

High Voltage

Lil-Rokslider
You guys do understand that the earth is round and plats are “flat”, right? So when you overlay a 2D image on a 3D image, it’s skewed.

But we live in an age where people can’t chew their own phuqqin food, so I have no pity for someone who can’t read a disclaimer, a survey, or a damn forestry map.
You mean the earth isn’t flat! Darn.

204guy

WKR
I'm wondering if when you bought your little slice of heaven to gain exclusive access to the NF if you had your property surveyed? Don't recall if that was ever answered. While ONX etc. aren't perfect what resources are hunters and law enforcement supposed to use to determine property boundaries? Are they supposed to survey it? Unfortunately there are as many landowners out there trying to claim public land, roads and trails as private as there are hunters trespassing. They're all their own worst enemy.

CorbLand

WKR
Not to discount the fact that they were trespassing but I have ran into this multiple times using these types systems. (not getting prosecuted for trespassing but fences and lines not matching) As someone that is using the software and running into a fence that don't match it gets hard, which do you trust? On one hand you have a system that matches county records and is using GPS to tell you where you stand or do you trust the human placed fence? You also have the issue of people fencing off ground that is public and putting up no trespassing signs. That happens a lot.

As much as I hate to put this name out there but Hushin has a video on there Youtube channel of a guy trying to kick them off BLM ground saying it was his and that OnX was wrong. I was with a buddy when we had the sheriff called on us for hunting turkeys on "private" ground when in reality the guy had put his fence on the wrong side of the drainage. I have been kicked off an easement and had someone attempt to kick me off some state ground. Those two are actually really funny stories. In fact in the 6 years I have hunted in Utah, 4 of them I have had someone try and kick me off public ground and only once have I ended up on the wrong ground by accident (land owner was super nice).

I know there are a couple lawyers on here that could probably explain some of this better but there use to a be a law that allowed you to fence things based on convenience. So if your true property boundary went down a wash that would get destroyed each year, you could fence it on the edge of the wash to prevent this. I dont know if that ground became theirs or what.

All I am saying is that while you are blaming the person for using the service and acting like they are stupid just remember what some people deal with from landowners.

Last edited:

16Bore

WKR
You mean the earth isn’t flat! Darn.

Nope. Google it.

But short of airlifting the flat brim brigade to a “spot” where they are guaranteed to see “something” they can shoot and post on Instagram..it takes a little effort.

How they hell anyone hunted before turrets and GPS is beyond me...

CorbLand

WKR
Nope. Google it.

But short of airlifting the flat brim brigade to a “spot” where they are guaranteed to see “something” they can shoot and post on Instagram..it takes a little effort.

How they hell anyone hunted before turrets and GPS is beyond me...
I googled it. Some website and Facebook group told me it was flat. You're a liar.

Last edited:

ChrisS

WKR
Plats aren't gospel. Surveys can be. Software is only as good as the information that goes into it. My house sits on a small piece of property where the existing fence was installed crooked and is off by ~4ft at the end of the property line. No big deal, but magnify that error over a much longer property line and it could be off by 800 ft. The plat for the section where our hunting camp is has the owners for a couple of neighboring properties flipped and at least one property line wrong. Or it was right and the camps were built regardless because no bothered to have it surveyed or subdivided properly in 1930. Get a survey, post it and call in the law enforcement to stake out your property, put up cameras near where people are parking to access and get license plates. Maybe bitch some more on an internet forum.

I'm wondering if when you bought your little slice of heaven to gain exclusive access to the NF if you had your property surveyed? Don't recall if that was ever answered. While ONX etc. aren't perfect what resources are hunters and law enforcement supposed to use to determine property boundaries? Are they supposed to survey it? Unfortunately there are as many landowners out there trying to claim public land, roads and trails as private as there are hunters trespassing. They're all their own worst enemy.

204guy brings up a great point. Now I remember the OP saying that he bought land next to NF in a previous post.

https://www.rokslide.com/forums/threads/keeping-trespassers-out-is-it-possible.134947/

There are lots of landowners next to public land that post and try to claim the public as their own. This is illegal, and unfortunately not aggressively prosecuted.

The landowner has to absolutely know his property boundaries and post them (in most states). This is where a lot of people screw up. The landowner has to be absolutely certain of their boundary. If they false accuse a trespasser and they are found no guilty in court they can counter sue for harassment by the landowner. This is why it is critical that the landowner has to know his property boundary.

If the OP is in the right then prosecute. If the OP is in the wrong, then they will continue to whine here on Rokslide.

16Bore

WKR
Lots of city dwellings are built on double lots with the property line down the middle of the house and are taxed for 2 lots and 1 improvement.

MtGomer

WKR
When I get off work later from my job as a land agent, previously a land surveyor I will explain for the umpteenth millionth time what OnX and their competitors are, since people refuse to educate themselves and these applications makes no effort to educate their customers.

Last edited:
I work with great GPS equipment when I do wetland delineations and map other features. I have seen times when my super expensive trimble units are wrong also (these things are accurate to within inches when they have good satellite connections . So not only could the mapping be off but you cannot be certain you are where your phone/gps unit tells you are. long and short you are working with a set of data that could be inaccurate from the assessor and the potential for your unit could be off by as much as a couple hundred feet. I use ONX even at work to help let me know where i am on various properties because it is a quick fairly accurate get me in the ball park tool. and it is usually spot on. but it isn't always.

And yet people claim to be able to find, with their GPS units, the exact corners of two public land parcels and step from one public land parcel to another.

ClearCreek

My buddy built a large building in Berkley only to find that the Surveyor made a mistake. Nothing is perfect

I have the huntgps chip for my gps. I just looke at it on my laptop. The property lines are not 100% accurate.
the bottom of my driveway is actually on my neighbors property, but the chip shows it on my property.
It is off by about 50 feet. don't know if that is a big deal or not.

This is exactly why we fought the new trespassing bill in Idaho. Unfortunately it passed and greatly reduced the responsibility of property owners to post their land. So now it becomes the sole responsibility of the sportsmen to know where the property boundaries are. The state legislature and the large landowners who control them told us that we should all have GPS by now and we should use that technology to make sure we don't trespass. Well this thread is exactly what we tried to warn them about.

We have to rely on often inaccurate GIS data and GPS technology to navigate around property boundaries and the error can be significant.

I don't want to trespass, but landowners should be willing to help us out by clearly and accurately posting their property at intervals that match the limits of visibility for the terrain and vegetation.

ChrisS

WKR
Ok maybe this well help you. The top parcel is public forests. View attachment 131105
This looks like a bad spatial reference conversion. Probably one set of data with one datum and the other with a different data or using US survey feet vs feet or using data built with one coordinate system and displayed with data projected on a different coordinate system.

I work on daily basis with ArcGIS and CAD ... I like using OnX, but only as a reference as to where a property line may be.

hutty

Lil-Rokslider
So OnX is using tax maps to generate the data that we all use. People are trying to do the right thing based on the best available data (tax maps and On X) , along with being told by DNR and the government to use GPS so you don't trespass and they are still in the wrong, especially if the property isn't surveyed and marked? What data, map, app are people supposed to use then?

Sounds like more of a case of people trying to do the right thing based on what is available and not blatantly trespassing.