OnX... Or...????

Been having issues with my OnX after an update. And it seems like the maps have gone down in quality. With that being said what is your guys go to Map app need something reliable.

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

Thunder17

FNG
Classified Approved
I’ve been using GoHUNT a fair amount, and OnX also. It has worked well for me and also comes with a lot of nice features and layers. If I had to pick just one it’d probably GoHUNT

TheACGuy

FNG
I personally use both OnX and Spartan Forge. I really love the map on Spartan Forge, but I do think OnX is a little more user friendly in some ways. I also enjoy that I can access OnX maps via desktop/laptop.. I don’t believe you can look at the Spartan Forge map unless you’re on the app. I’ve actually contacted SF twice now about a desktop version of the map and they have yet to get in touch with me, pretty disappointing in the customer service department but whatever. I think (for the area I hunt at least) SF’s map is unbeatable.. but I’m always on the hunt for new maps as well!

cnelk

WKR
I started with OnX, then added Gaia.

Since I have some buddies that use OnX, some use Gaia so I use both.
But Gaia is much, much better and less expensive

Fatcamp

WKR
What is it you guys find so much better about Gaia?

I tried Basemap and went back to OnX. All I need is my location on an accurate map, I don't really save tracks or pins.

Brendan

WKR

Honest answer, pretty much everything? Does everything that OnX does. I've had paid subscriptions to both and always find myself using Gaia, the one exception being when I have friends who use OnX want to send me / share waypoints that way. Pretty much the only time I found myself using OnX.

You can get Gaia for $36 right now with a year long Outside+ subscription too which includes Trailforks Pro and all of the other content in the Outside Network too if that's a bonus for you.

OP
IdahoHunter57
Thanks for the feed back. Glad I posted this because Gaia wasn't even on my radar. My buddy tried Base maps and he hated it. I will look into Gaia specially for the 36 bucks a year.

I tried Basemap and went back to OnX. All I need is my location on an accurate map, I don't really save tracks or pins.
I hate onX. It seems like every time it’s working well, they do an update, usually right before season, and it goes to crap. It has been super unreliable for me the past 2-3 years. I still use it, but use Gaia a lot as well. It has more and better layers (a lot more), I like the interface to download offline maps better, offline maps have been more reliable for me the past two years vs onX, when route planning, the snap to feature on designated roads and trails saves a lot of time, tracking does a better job at showing elevation gained/lost, easier to keep things organized, I find Gaia roads/trails to be more accurate than onX…. I’m getting heavy into preseason scouting so can add to the list as I use both. I too tried BaseMap about 3 years ago for a year and hated it.
A few things OnX has on Gaia is it’s a little more user friendly, there is a learning curve to Gaia, but nothing crazy. The 3D map on the app is nice, one of the main reasons I’m holding on to it. If onX is working 100%, I’d say it’s a bit better in the field and Gaia is a lot better for scouting.

cnelk

WKR

Some good reading here -

Yoder

WKR
Gaia is woke. Diversity, equity, social justice B.S. is destroying America and can kiss my ass. I wouldn't use it if it was free. OnX is a pro hunting app. I never tried GoHunt but having the word hunt in the app is good enough for me. Map issues with Onx could be related to what resolution maps you save to your phone.

OP
IdahoHunter57
Gaia is woke. Diversity, equity, social justice B.S. is destroying America and can kiss my ass. I wouldn't use it if it was free. OnX is a pro hunting app. I never tried GoHunt but having the word hunt in the app is good enough for me. Map issues with Onx could be related to what resolution maps you save to your phone.
It's not just resolution issues. The app is a joke. For being a "pro" app you would think it would be damn good. Like others have mentioned above everytime it starts working good they do an update and it goes to shit again. The map quality is shit. The 3d topo is junk. Trying to get it to run properly when not online is a headache. For the price you pay and for what they claim that app should be about perfect now. Gaia can be as woke as it wants. If it work, shows me everything I want and need to know and I can rely on it that's what I'm gunna be running.

Yoder

WKR
It's not just resolution issues. The app is a joke. For being a "pro" app you would think it would be damn good. Like others have mentioned above everytime it starts working good they do an update and it goes to shit again. The map quality is shit. The 3d topo is junk. Trying to get it to run properly when not online is a headache. For the price you pay and for what they claim that app should be about perfect now. Gaia can be as woke as it wants. If it work, shows me everything I want and need to know and I can rely on it that's what I'm gunna be running.

I agree with the 3d topo, it's pretty useless. Other than that I've never had any issues.

Jellymon1

Lil-Rokslider
OnX has been great for me. I’ve had it on two IPhones and one Samsung. Not the slightest issue in the 5 ish years I’ve been using it. I use airplane mode when service is spotty and it has always worked perfectly, even with the updates. This is in the cascade Mts, foothills of Mt rainier, St. Helens, Adams.

Dshore

FNG
OnX Has always worked fantastic for me! Is there another app I should consider?

OP
IdahoHunter57
OnX Has always worked fantastic for me! Is there another app I should consider?
OnX is the only app I have used and like I have mentioned before, for E-scouting onX is about usless the quality. I bought the GoHunt app since it's 30% off right now and so far the app is a Lil harder to use, but that's just cuz I'm use to using onX. But the map quality is was better. The 3D feature is crazy useful. I haven't played around with it to much yet but it seems like it has way more bells and whistles. But to answer your question, I would look at considering Go Hunt.