Opinion: best overall rifle for hunting?

Serious note, bears

One of my friends killed his Polar Bear with his .270. He said it went about 30 yards and piled up.

I’ve carried my 375 bear hunting in the past and wished I’d had my 270.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Could you expand on that a little?

If we try to push it faster with more powder in a bigger case, it necessitates a longer barrel to be worthwhile, 24" to really see superior velocities. If we try to improve velocity or ballistic coefficient with a smaller bullet on the same amount of powder, we lose options for 165-180+ gr bullets, not to mention added caliber security should the bullet fail to expand, and again, need for a longer barrel.

Moreover, unless we are a trained sniper, I believe we don't have any business shooting at animals more than 300-400 yards. Up to that range, the higher velocity and bc really isn't a game changer.

Then consider all of the options of rifles chambered in 308, and lightweight because of the short action and barrel, a good $800 rifle in 308 will be as light as a carbon fiber, titanium, etc. exotic rifle that is only superior on paper.

Nevermind the plentiful and cheap ammo to shoot for fun and become better with the rifle. The cartridge just leads to an extremely practical rifle.

One more thought: Everything that is said for the capabilities of the 30-06 in the 20th century applies equally to the 308 with better bullets and powder of today.

AKDoc

WKR
First of all, if I was held to just one rifle and cartridge for everything, that would be a very sad state of affairs...

...that said, I'd choose my 30-06.

I handload, and there are sooooooo many different and excellent 30cal bullets and weights, that I know I could make my 30-06 work...even though I'd miss my 22, 257 WBY, 7mm-08, 338-06, 375H&H, etc.......

Browning Hells Canyon Speed 300WSM with muzzlebreak. Damn hard gun to beat right there. The 300 WSM is and has always been a really impressive package every since it came out.

Hopefully this is the best overall rifle because I just bought this gun

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I’ve been trying to talk myself into pulling the trigger. Have an XPR in .300 WSM that is great. Won an X-bolt in .308 back in September that is fire. Would love to keep the .308 AND get the Hell’s Canyon SPEED. New baby, new house, and childcare prevents that.

Truly first world problems

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I’ve been trying to talk myself into pulling the trigger. Have an XPR in .300 WSM that is great. Won an X-bolt in .308 back in September that is fire. Would love to keep the .308 AND get the Hell’s Canyon SPEED. New baby, new house, and childcare prevents that.

Truly first world problems

I'd also like a hells canyon speed but I've dumped about 3k on gear in the past month and have a bunch of rifles, like you we are trying to buy a better house so my wife would be less than happy if I showed up with a shiny new rifle.

I'd also like a hells canyon speed but I've dumped about 3k on gear in the past month and have a bunch of rifles, like you we are trying to buy a better house so my wife would be less than happy if I showed up with a shiny new rifle.

Yikes!!!! I'd get scalped and separated from my scrotum if I'd spent that much....
Thinking about it though, I'm probably around the $5k mark for 2018

OP
Dunndm

Dunndm

WKR
Sounds like if I already got a .308 I should just upgrade that and then get s .300 of some kind and that would be good enough for just about anything I could imagine

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Yikes!!!! I'd get scalped and separated from my scrotum if I'd spent that much....
Thinking about it though, I'm probably around the $5k mark for 2018

She was cool with it because its stuff I've been planning for awhile, a Hilleberg tent, a few sleeping bags, stove, sleeping pads etc. She just dosen't get the gun "thing".....she's like: why so many, whats wrong with the ones you have lol. To be fair, she's right, I pretty much have everything covered, 12g, 22lr, 30-06, 308, 6.5cm, 375HH, 9mm, 44mag, 357mag, 10mm, 454.....As much as I'd love a 300wsm, I doubt it would really fill a hole that I need filled.