Optics for tikka t3x

Flatland Newbie

Lil-Rokslider
Hello everybody. Looking for a scope for my tikka t3x 270. I’m new to riffle hunting but put enough deer in the freezer with the bow. I mostly hunt in suburban areas but also couple of times a year go out to national forests here in VA. I have opportunity to hunt deer and black bear in my home state. Also planning to hunt out west and my dream/goal is to harvest an elk. Please recommend a good scope for my setup. My max budget is $1500 if it is worth it if not I’m open to $500 scopes as well. Hell I’m new to the game so I’m stepping in open minded. I will not try to set the world record in long range shooting. I would say my limit in distance will be 300 yards or so for a while.

OP
Flatland Newbie

Flatland Newbie

Lil-Rokslider
I’d like to practice at further distance but as far as the shot at the animal goes I would guess 300 is a good max for a newb. Also how is x6 magnification Going to work in Virginia woods with 50-100 yard shots?

Man, if you're not looking for like a real long-range turret scope, I don't see why Maven's RS.2 or Leupold's VX3i wouldn't do it for ya.

I personally run the RS.2 with the SHR reticle and have been killing rocks out passed 560. Just shot this bear in my profile at 323 with it.

Motown

WKR
The last two post are pretty spot on. The Maven RS2 is around 12 ounces and from what I hear is pretty clear and reliable. I own a 3-10 Nightforce SHV that is really nice as well but at 20oz isnt as light. Guess it all depends on how much weight you are willing to add.

Spoonbill

WKR
Man, if you are will to spend up to 1500, I would look at a swarovski. This would be good for hunting back east and you could shoot far when you wanted.

sneaky

"DADDY"
If you're not dialing you have a Swarovski type budget, but their Z3 and Z5 series scopes aren't good at dialing. The return to zero is a known issue, I have a Z5 that I no longer touch the ballistic turret on because of it. You should do yourself a favor and check out the Meopta scopes. Great scopes and well within your budget.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Tahoe1305

WKR
I have a leupold VX-6HD 3-18 on my tikka and it is great. I haven’t dialed much though and people say some have issues with it.

My next build will try the new vortex LHT 3-15. I have the last generation 3-15 LH and for the money I really like it. The new reticle on the LHT with illumination is even better and it is still lightweight (19oz). A couple threads on this forum say it’s actually performing pretty well (after you filter through all the back and forth on vortex sucking and whatnot).

BAKPAKR

WKR
If you are going to limit your shots on game to 300 yards and you expect most of your shots to be within 100 yards, I would get a lightweight, set and forget variable. I have a Leupold 2.5-8 on my 270. That scope in Talley mounts doesn’t add much weight to an already light rifle. With that rifle/scope combination, I shot a moving bear at 30 yards, a coyote at a little over 250 yards and a mule deer at just under 350. It is a good combination for me.

buckwalleye

Lil-Rokslider
New to the long range game too. I just bought a tikka t3x lite in 6.5 CM and put a vortex viper 4x16-44 on it. I haven't even shot the gun yet but setup seems good for my budget and needs.
7ccc78c7bbff177f9828aecac717cc11.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Spoonbill

WKR
why are people recommending turrets when his max range is 300yds..... a plain jane 2-7 or 3-9 variable would be my suggestion... save your money for something else
Same reason why people reccomend 300 win mags to first time hunters, it is what they will “need” one day. Plus basic equipment to learn on isn’t as fun to talk about. That being said, buying a good quality scope is important. I haved learned the hard way that the “almost as good” buying is more expensive than “buy once, cry once”

6bailey

FNG
I’d like to practice at further distance but as far as the shot at the animal goes I would guess 300 is a good max for a newb. Also how is x6 magnification Going to work in Virginia woods with 50-100 yard shots?
You can drop a lot of money on some of the highest end scopes out there and they will do great. Or buy something that you don't have to drop a lot of money on and meets your needs. $1500 is a lot of cash to never shot outside of 300 yards. But here are a few ideas for you.
Vortexs viper line they are good scopes I have the past gen 2 on my on my 30-06 and it does everything I need and more. Also you should be able to find one well below their listed msrp.

I would also recommend the leupold freedom line this one will also meet all your needs and some without pay a huge price tag.

Hope this gives you some economical option but if you have the money and want to spend it look at night force or leupolds mark 5

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Hey OP. I have an extra brand new Meopta Meopro 4.5-14 x44. Simple plex reticle and MOA target turrets for if you want to dial someday. I mounted it on my .17 WSM and then changed my mind. Too nice of a scope for that beater rifle.

Great optic range and lightweight with the 1” main tube. I’m also a fan of the glass quality and sight picture at all zoom ranges. I own 4 MeoPro scopes and they have seen some hard field use and keep on ticking.

If this is something you’re interested in I’ll hook you up on it since it will be your first scope and I like helping new hunters. Plus it’s just sitting in my safe...

That’s a $700 scope I’d sell to ya for $400 shipped. Comes with the box, manual and warranty card etc. PM if you’re interested.

A few folks on here convinced me into Tikka and SWFA and I took the bait. Don’t regret it for a second. I’ve been shooting regularly since the mid 80s and have dozens of guns and used to whack 6+ deer every year with a 35 Rem and $80 scope.

I’d get the lightweight scope on the tax day sale, $250 and you’ll be done. Save your money for ammo and hunting.

JGRaider

WKR
Top that Tikka with a Meopta 3.5-10x and be done with it. It will more than handle criteria specified by OP. Forget the dials and cluttered reticles.

gr8fuldoug

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
It would be our pleasure to discuss different options with you as well as Special Memorial Day Weekend Sale/RokSlide member pricing
Please give us a call, 516-217-1000
Be well
Doug

Brendan

WKR
So, if you're dialing: SWFA or Nightforce. But, in your case, for those ranges: I don't recommend it unless it's something you want to get into.

I'd go with a BDC-type reticle, and I like the Swarovski 3-10x42 with BRX-H reticle. Or, something like the Z5 2.4-12x50 with the BRX-H. Both in your budget, glass quality is excellent, but wouldn't be my pick for a dialing scope.