Other hunters lying

Jasper

FNG
So...be aware that this can backfire.

I grew up in Wyoming, but moved out of state about 20 years ago. Was back home visiting mom a while back and bumped into a guy I was good friends with growing up. Good enough guy but knew he couldn't keep quiet.

He starts asking about where I'd hunted when I was a resident ("C'mon, man, you don't hunt it any more, right?")

In an attempt to end the conversation I mentioned a place I hadn't hunted, ever. Certainly not going to send him anywhere near where we used to hunt, my friends and brother are still killing elk in the same drainages we did in high school...

About a month later I get a thank you text and a picture of him with a 330"-ish bull...

So yeah, I'm gonna be telling guys about Nunyadambizness Creek from here on out.

BuckSmasher

Lil-Rokslider
So...be aware that this can backfire.

I grew up in Wyoming, but moved out of state about 20 years ago. Was back home visiting mom a while back and bumped into a guy I was good friends with growing up. Good enough guy but knew he couldn't keep quiet.

He starts asking about where I'd hunted when I was a resident ("C'mon, man, you don't hunt it any more, right?")

In an attempt to end the conversation I mentioned a place I hadn't hunted, ever. Certainly not going to send him anywhere near where we used to hunt, my friends and brother are still killing elk in the same drainages we did in high school...

About a month later I get a thank you text and a picture of him with a 330"-ish bull...

So yeah, I'm gonna be telling guys about Nunyadambizness Creek from here on out.
Just goes to show how lousy with elk WY is. Lets all go to WY!

BuckSmasher

Lil-Rokslider
I'm more surprised that a Wyomingite didn't straight tell a nonres to GFYS. He was pretty polite.

What's wrong with just saying, "A place that I spent a lot of time looking for and want to keep it to myself".

Some of y'alls first reaction to be an jerk is just nuts.

I used to live in Texas, guy asked me this week on a Texas hunting forum where I shot those pigs and nice bucks told him the exact spot down to the closed logging road. I live 2,300 miles away, why do I care?

What's wrong with just saying, "A place that I spent a lot of time looking for and want to keep it to myself".

I used to live in Texas, guy asked me this week on a Texas hunting forum where I shot those pigs and nice bucks told him the exact spot down to the closed logging road. I live 2,300 miles away, why do I care?
Because every body asks they keep asking and asking and asking it gets old.
And imo they should know better. So why should I be polite to someone I don't even know if I believe they should know better?

BuckSmasher

Lil-Rokslider
Because every body asks they keep asking and asking and asking it gets old.
And imo they should know better. So why should I be polite to someone I don't even know if I believe they should know better?
I keep my spots SUPER SECRET if I ever intend to hunt them again so I get that. I try and be polite as much as I can, they may not see things the way I do, plus, being rude reflects more on me than them.

Also, even though I don't give away my hunting spots and POLITELY intentionally keep them secret.... I am always asking folks for theirs! Why the heck not?

I keep my spots SUPER SECRET if I ever intend to hunt them again so I get that. I try and be polite as much as I can, they may not see things the way I do, plus, being rude reflects more on me than them.

Also, even though I don't give away my hunting spots and POLITELY intentionally keep them secret.... I am always asking folks for theirs! Why the heck not?
I can't even tell my lady her eyes are pretty, when 5 plus guys a day use that as there opening line she is over it.

cnelk

WKR
I was out scouting for rifle season the last weekend archery season was open 2 weekends ago. Saw about 15 elk total. On the hike out, encountered 2-3 groups of frustrated archery hunters asking if we had seen anything.

Answer: “nope”

Truth:
81072384d185ccb982cbb4b5aa12ba4d.jpg

Saw 15 elk and only got 1 pic?

I smell fish

MtnCam

FNG
This thread is awesome! There is a culture in the west about not disclosing locations. I didn’t understand when I first moved West almost 20 years ago, but I quickly understood the importance of politely telling people to piss off when they asked about spots to hunt/fish.

Dirtbag

WKR

I’m not a Wyomingite and although they are great people they may be a little rough around the edges and there is nothing wrong with that. If I show up to WY with my green plates and ask a res “hey where did you shoot that” I deserve a GFYS.
western hunting is about doing the work yourself.

hunting Wyoming elk is a lot different than pigs in TX.

peterk123

WKR
First rule in Fight Club, you do talk about Fight Club.

I would never ask where someone got their animal. I would just compliment on their harvest.

BuckSmasher

Lil-Rokslider
I can't even tell my lady her eyes are pretty, when 5 plus guys a day use that as there opening line she is over it.

I’m not a Wyomingite and although they are great people they may be a little rough around the edges and there is nothing wrong with that. If I show up to WY with my green plates and ask a res “hey where did you shoot that” I deserve a GFYS.
western hunting is about doing the work yourself.

hunting Wyoming elk is a lot different than pigs in TX.
Y'all must have came at them with a completely different attitude than I do. Wyoming folks have always been very nice to me.

Aww shucks. How is it different?

I’m in the lie and deceive club as well. It’s a little interesting to try to raise your children to be honest, but then explain to them that they need to lie about hunting, fishing, shed hunting locations even to friends.