Other hunters lying

Dirtbag

WKR
Y'all must have came at them with a completely different attitude than I do. Wyoming folks have always been very nice to me.

Aww shucks. How is it different?
No, don’t twist this. Wyoming folks are great, but they don’t need to put up with BS anymore than anyone else.

comparing Elk hunting to pigs? C’mon.

What's wrong with just saying, "A place that I spent a lot of time looking for and want to keep it to myself".

1. that's a mouthful
2. It invites further conversation when it isn't desired. "oh man, i wont go there", "I got these great spots already"

I’m not a Wyomingite and although they are great people they may be a little rough around the edges and there is nothing wrong with that. If I show up to WY with my green plates and ask a res “hey where did you shoot that” I deserve a GFYS.
western hunting is about doing the work yourself.

hunting Wyoming elk is a lot different than pigs in TX.
How do you know it’s spring in Wyoming? The plates turn green :)

I live here and most people are cool. But most won’t tell where they hunt. In my time here it’s gotten more crowded and we worry the good secret spots will be spoiled. I’m more than happy to show people where to start and some ideas, but we gotta have more of a relationship than pumping gas next to exchother.

Q child

WKR
Haha. I do plenty of lying. Also plenty of truthing. Also, I use a lot of words to not say anything.

sndmn11

WKR
I was scouting for a double digit pronghorn tag in CO the weekend before it opened just as I had all summer. I ran across a guy and his 22yo son, the son had a tag, driving around somewhat near the buck I wanted.

Was it wrong of me to drive them all around the unit showing them bucks #3-10?

BuckSmasher

Lil-Rokslider
No, don’t twist this. Wyoming folks are great, but they don’t need to put up with BS anymore than anyone else.

comparing Elk hunting to pigs? C’mon.
I'm more surprised that a Wyomingite didn't straight tell a nonres to GFYS. He was pretty polite.

I am not twisting anything. Anybody that tells someone gfys over a polite, if self serving question, is a jerk. Expressing incredulity that he didn't means that you would have expected him to which means, in your mind, you expect Wyoming residents to be jerks.

I have shot elk all over the west, now live and hunt in Idaho. Shooting a 13" wide legal buck in Sam Houston National Forest, only 160,000 acres 1 hour north of one of the biggest cities in North America is AT LEAST as tough as shooting a cow elk with a rifle in Wyoming, IMO much more difficult.

Look I am right there with you about not sharing hunting spots. My buddy and I had this discussion the other day, told him that I would be angry if he told anybody where our spots are. We are on board with the tight lip. However, we have WAY ENOUGH ugliness and flat out meanness in this world to tell someone that asks where you shot a cow elk to GFYS. I don't even know how that is debatable by any rational person.

BuckSmasher

Lil-Rokslider
1. that's a mouthful
2. It invites further conversation when it isn't desired. "oh man, i wont go there", "I got these great spots already"

A little effort to be nice is worth it. Besides if you are nice, yet refuse to divulge information you will probably leave the conversation knowing everything you know, plus what they know. Heck, could even be a local non-hunter willing to share a primo spot. That has happened to me (didn't have dead elk, just talking hunting).

Dirtbag

WKR
I am not twisting anything. Anybody that tells someone gfys over a polite, if self serving question, is a jerk. Expressing incredulity that he didn't means that you would have expected him to which means, in your mind, you expect Wyoming residents to be jerks.

I have shot elk all over the west, now live and hunt in Idaho. Shooting a 13" wide legal buck in Sam Houston National Forest, only 160,000 acres 1 hour north of one of the biggest cities in North America is AT LEAST as tough as shooting a cow elk with a rifle in Wyoming, IMO much more difficult.

Look I am right there with you about not sharing hunting spots. My buddy and I had this discussion the other day, told him that I would be angry if he told anybody where our spots are. We are on board with the tight lip. However, we have WAY ENOUGH ugliness and flat out meanness in this world to tell someone that asks where you shot a cow elk to GFYS. I don't even know how that is debatable by any rational person.
I don’t think people from Wyoming a jerks at all, that’s you imposing your own beliefs over to me. Regardless, If you ask rude questions you just might get a rude response. To many, asking about an elk hunting spot would be the equivalent to asking:
“How much money do you make?”
“What are your religious beliefs?”
“How much did you pay for your wife’s bolt ons?”
The fact of the matter is, it’s not your business, and they don’t owe you anything.

cgasner1

WKR
My wife said the neighbor asked her where I killed my bull this year she responded with I don’t know where he hunts. Later she asked me where I hunt in case something ever happened so she would know where to send people to look for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hodgeman

WKR
After some friends of my wife saw a picture of my last bull on her Facebook page.... they asked her "Where did he get that one?"

My wife replied (completely unprompted)..."In the woods".

I've never been prouder of my wife or felt I made a better decision to marry her.

TheGDog

WKR
Dude.....I don't even post a picture on the net. Details to strangers is a disaster waiting.

That is why it's called hunting and not "following directions ".
Always make sure your pics are taken with a downward angle to them so the viewers can't see objects of/for reference in the background. Some of us are highly gifted at image recognition with visual memory and seeing objects in the background and developing a strong hunch about where the pic was taken.

See! All those younger days playing First-Person Shooter games where your skill at learning the map layout and terrain and committing it to memory so you could make tactical decisions quickly during the game were NOT a waste of time! ;)

slatty

WKR
Based on the interaction you described, I would absolutely never tell you anything useful about where I shot that elk. I am sure you are a good person and it's nothing personal.
I am absolutely shocked when over and over, when I meet someone in the woods, they casually ask what I saw and where I saw it.
My inner voice is saying "what the f******?". I put so much time and effort to figure this stuff out and I only hope that other people do. There is so much satisfaction to scouting and then hunting an area. There is absolutely no reason to share that with a stranger. When I see a harvested animal I congratulate and if anything ask if I can have a look at it, because it's awesome (and i'm not that good at harvesting critters myself). Enjoy it for what it is, and if any discussion is offered accept what is given to you. Then keep hunting.

TheGDog

WKR
Also you gotta be on the watch out for people that will approach you at trailheads and start getting curious with you and try to be all chatty-kathy

Had this one dude... now twice he's done it at the prior place I used to hunt... he'd drive-up in his vehicle... ask you what you were hunting.. then throw out some comment/statement that makes it sound like he's never hunted but that he's "been meaning to give it a try", etc. After which he'd slowly try to be sneaky and keep the convo going until he could slip-in questions that try to extract location info.

Now here's where it gets interesting. I had THEN gone back out there to do some Rabbit hunting when that July came back around. Different trailhead. But same guy. And.. he either didn't remember he'd spoken to me specifically before, or it's part of his game he plays to come off looking like a n00b. He once again did his whole trying to be slick thing of trying to massage info out of me. Again, shut him down and avoided the question politely.

THEN... dig this... same dude... later his car comes back along the one and only NF road that goes thru there... and he pulls over and stops... and fvcking proceeds to honk his horn.... several times! Waits a bit.. Then...proceeds to turn around again and go back inward on the NF road. Stoppping several times along the way to do the honking BS. Dude must have came back in and out probably like a total of 4 times that day, over a span of time that was basically all your primo morning hrs.

So now I dunno...

Could be this guy thinks honking the horn is a good way to spook rabbits in order to ascertain if there are any in a little area or not....
...OR...
Since this dude himself never actually got out to hunt, that I can tell anyway, I'm thinking he maybe considers himself some uber tree-hugger vigilante who thinks he's super stealth and on a one-man mission to do all he can to mess with any hunters successes? (You know, like your typical Democrat for example.)

I do know this though... if I see him again? I'm taking pics of his vehicle and when he leaves I'm gonna call the 800 DFG tip line here in CA. Cause that mess of just up and deciding to honk your car like a fvcking idiot all up and down the NF in the early morning hours to harass hunters is just WAY not cool!

Drenalin

WKR
My wife said the neighbor asked her where I killed my bull this year she responded with I don’t know where he hunts. Later she asked me where I hunt in case something ever happened so she would know where to send people to look for me.
My wife asked me to turn on the find my friends thing on my phone so she can see where I am if something happens and I don't come home. I refused, she can't keep secrets.

It's not just a western hunting thing, at least for me. Any d-bag asking where you killed an animal or where you're hunting has already started the conversation off as a jerk and deserves a jerk response. Guy at gas station asks me where I killed something? Yeah, GFYS.

Gerbdog

WKR
I have crafty hunters around me this year i decided... and they fooled me into talking elk hunting with them a bit.... What they do is carry their fishing rods with them in their side by sides and say theyre just in the area for the fishing.... then they ask if ive seen any elk this year? I just answer "yes" but its more then i normally give even haha. Turns out i saw those guys at their camp later in the year with their bows sitting nearby.... dang it.... they got me.