Packs for mobile hunting

I am seeking out different options for a small daypack for next year. My current setup is a Lone Wolf sit and climb and I have a Tenzing 2200 Daypack. I love the pack for all day rifle hunts, scouting, etc. but it is definitely heavy to strap on to my climber. I am considering a saddle setup for next year to try and reduce the bulk of carrying a climber. I think that my current pack would suffice for carrying sticks and the saddle setup, but am curious if others have found a good minimalist stand hunting day pack.

For reference the vast majority of my setups are on public land with 3/4 mile+ off trail hikes in.

JimGa

Lil-Rokslider
A saddle and using one stick will lighten your load. You can use about any pack when its warm, but for cold weather, carrying clothes i like a frame pack. I used a Pintler this year and it worked well.

CarlTuesday

Lil-Rokslider
In cooler weather, all day sits, longer walks where I might need more gear I've been happy with my MR Tree house.

That said, most of the time when I saddle hunt and its warmer: I carry my wild edge steps in their bag on my shoulder, bow in the other hand. Bino harness has some extra gear like knife, headlamps, whatever... And that's it.

The platform I either lash to the bag, or attach to my saddle. Don't love that part - I think a good mod would be adding "backpack" style straps to the WE steppladder bag to have hands more free.

Just found I don't need much stuff, and am happier and quieter with less.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

slick

WKR
Im planning on getting a MR Scapegoat for this purpose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

johnw91

FNG
I just use a badlands pursuit unless i need room for a bunch of extra layers. straps 4 17 inch sticks to the back just fine and put the predator inside. Wear my saddle in.

Lowg08

WKR
I have been going through different pack specs I mostly back pack hunt 2+ miles in. I have narrowed it down to the kifaru Stryker and stone glacier approach 1800

Zim

FNG
I exclusively use LW & XOP hand climbers, and go with the Badlands Monster fanny pack. Been using mine for 2 years would not trade it for anything. The main reason is it fits below my stand when strapped to my back. I don't use backpacks. It's also got some important features like front two pouches large enough to hold bow retrieving spools. This is a real problem with most fanny packs. I'd highly recommend you check these out.

I like the badlands monster Fanny pack. I saddle hunt and Can attach my sticks to my platform which has backpack straps that I can wear above the Fanny pack.

they are pricy but you get the best customer service and unconditional warranty for life.

Zim

FNG
I like the badlands monster Fanny pack. I saddle hunt and Can attach my sticks to my platform which has backpack straps that I can wear above the Fanny pack.

they are pricy but you get the best customer service and unconditional warranty for life.

Yup very heavy duty nothing breaks or wears out. My old flimsy Fanny packs don’t hold a candle next to the Monster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TN2shot07

WKR
I don’t think it’s what you’re after, but I’ve had good luck with a MR metcalf. I use the load shelf for the stand/sticks. You can tighten it down pretty good when empty if you just need a day pack. It is pretty heavy even empty tho!

gclubb02

FNG
I’m planning to get an exo mtn k3 3200 to carry my stand/stick setup and to pack my deer out. If you have any plans to pack a deer out along with packing your stand in I dont think you can beat a frame style pack with a meat shelf like the exo, kifaru, stone glacier, etc

Joshs74

FNG
Maybe more than you’re looking for, but I used a Kifaru 357 mag this year for a deer hunt in western Kansas. I am pretty happy with it. Not heavy and it fit great. It will carry a bunch of gear/weight, but it compresses down flat also. I felt it was a great happy medium between a smaller day pack and an external frame setup.

OP
L
You all have presented some great options. If I go the saddle route, the Badlands fanny looks like it might be golden but I don't think my climber would be able to ride above it comfortably. I have considered the larger frame packs with meat shelfs as I have western hunts on my horizon, however I really want to move into a more lightweight minimalistic setup for mobile whitetail. For my climber I have even considered adding some additional webbing and straps to give it load hauling capabilities.

Overall, I need to be able to haul a few layers and keep some minimal gear organized. Gear would be a bow holder, a grunt call, knife, pullup rope, water and snacks. In most cases I believe I will continue to carry my stand out of the woods prior to retrieving or even tracking a deer depending on the scenario. Packing out a mature buck even boned out, with cape, antlers etc on top of a climber seems a bit extreme for the terrain I am typically hunting.

JimGa

Lil-Rokslider
Another good option for carrying climbers is a used Alice frame. Mine weighs about 3.5lbs with belt and straps.

Agross

WKR
I picked up a used badlands Superday on here last year and love it. I have the older version and its great. Would like to find another of the same . Plenty of organization and not to big or too small. They have a good warranty as well. If I find a good deal on another I’m gonna get one for my son.

JGTWI

WKR
I know Eberlestock doesn’t get a whole lot of love on here, but I have an X2 and I think it would be great for a saddle/sticks set up.
I find it to be a bit oversized for what I typically carry, but I love the organization and think it’s a good pack for the money.

I have the MR28, X2, Kifaru with stryker and sherman pouch, Kifaru Shape Charge, Badlands Superday, Badlands Monster with the predator pack and a 3V Gear Outlaw Sling Pack. I have tried many others as well. It really depends on the situation for me...am I hunting from my saddle or a pre set stand, is it an all day sit, how cold is it (need extra layers), do I need to pack meat out, etc. They all have pros and cons, but I find myself using the X2, Shape Charge and the Outlaw the most.

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

I have an exo mountain gear 5500. I use it for every hunt whether its a day hunt or multiple day. Packs down to nothing for the day hunt and is comfortable.