Please Stop Grizzly Hunting in BC!

As another spring bear season opens up, grizzly hunting in BC is under attack once again. I just wanted to pass this along to remind guys how important it is to belong to and support your local and national clubs like BCWF, REMF, Wild Sheep, Boone & Crockett, ect. Without them fighting for our rights, hunting as we enjoy it today may not be an option in the near future.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...g-grizzly-bear-hunt-now-open/article17764866/

video on the hunt

http://globalnews.ca/video/1095763/grizzly-bear-hunt-protest

Last edited:

Buster

WKR
Haven't had a chance to open the ctv link yet, but after reading the globe and mail one, I want to push for open seasons on bogus reporting. Definitely an article with a bias.

I'd love to see how they have calculated that bear watching creates 10 times (yes, 10 times) more revenue than bear hunting.

The scariest statement is that one particular anti hunting group owns over 28000 square kms of guide/outfitting area.

My home zone reopened for grizzly this year after several years without. Family friends managed to draw the 2 tags. I look forward to helping them both fill their tags.

Blackcow

WKR
I was up in B.C. in 09 for a goat, muley, black bear hunt. We saw more grizzly's than I ever would have thought.The outfitter got one tag a year, and he should get a half a dozen or more. I'm pretty sure that the nine out of ten people against that they mentioned in the video were from Vancouver, not B.C. as a whole, because everyone we met in the sticks said the same thing.Too many grizzly's.

Buster

WKR
Watched the second and third links. The second reporter is a lot more objective (but the lady he's interviewing is right off her rocker). The third report is absolute propaganda. What a load of crap.

weaver

WKR
I watched most of the second video until I couldn't stand it anymore. At least she told the truth....they don't give a shit about scientific facts.

bobhunts

WKR
I watched them all like Buster did! It was hard to see that the infection has grown so bad even in Canada. They say they are not opposed to hunting for meat and substance but proclaim all hunters that hunt a Grizzly are trophy hunters? Not sure where they get away with that without anyone ever saying "Why do you think every hunter chasing a Grizzly bear is a trophy hunter" and no one even questions that line of thought? Just the same old crap we see here on TV at home in the US where nobody ever questions there nasty hatred for hunters one step at a time. Same thing with gun owners ..everyone is labeled as some kind of extremist if you own a gun and a 30 round magazine! Can you imagine if the news got a hold of a poll on this or any like minded site as to how many firearms do you own? We would all be labeled extremest weirdo people on the news. Glad to see there are a group of folks that still see the world that we were raised in without the constant attack from the media every day to the mass of people. Bob.

OP
todd kelly
Guy have to remember that grizzly hunting has been banned in BC once before. It's not that far of a stretch for it to happen again.

Jimbob

WKR
Obviously a biased article but I found it very interesting to hear that the First Nation groups have banned bear hunting, I wonder the details about this (if it just has to do with the spirit bear or more to it).

Also personally for me I don't seem to agree with hunting something if your not going to eat it. I have shot one black bear and it was a fun hunt but i didn't enjoy the meat so I haven't shot another one since. However I do want to shoot another one and try to prepare the meat a few different ways to see if there is a way I can like it. If I don't eat it I won't kill it. Having said that I don't feel strongly enough about this to impose this belief on others. Actually i think others should have the choice to hunt and kill bears for a just the skin. Hunting is a great management tool and it should be used, also it is a great economic component for numerous parties.

So I can sympathize with people who don't think you should hunt for trophies but I don't agree with taking that right away from people.

I find that figure about bear viewing bringing in more than hunting sceptical so I am searching more. Here is one study and it refers to just the Great Bear Rainforest and it looks bogus

http://ecoclub.com/headlines/members/916-140108-bear-viewing-revenue

Appears as though the study was done by "Centre for Responsible Travel" and was funder by a conservation group Tides Canada

Here is the study cited in the initial article
http://www.responsibletravel.org/pr...ear_Viewing_and_Bear_Hunting_in_GBR_of_BC.pdf
It only refers to the GBRF and not to bear hunting in all of BC that is how they get their numbers
Also the First Nations have banned the TROPHY hunting of bears because they have actually set up a good economy for bear viewing and they feel that hunting would diminish that. Good on the First nations for finding an economic solution that lines up with their beliefs.

Interesting stuff.

I also fall on the side of eat what you kill. I've eaten ALOT of bear and have never had one that didn't taste fine as summer sausage or pep sticks, no bear can hold a candle to a bad sea duck or coastal diver duck.The only thing I will shoot and not eat is coyotes. I'm not against trophy hunters but I feel they are missing a huge part of hunting. If the only reason your out there is to get a trophy and brag about it then I personally believe you are out there for the wrong reasons.

One of my hunting partners was has been wanting to go on a BC grizzly hunt for quite some time. He got wind of the above info a couple of months ago and ended up booking his hunt for this June. I don't have the coin he has so not something I would ever have a chance of doing but I'm hoping he brings back a monster.

Stresd

FNG
Obviously a biased article but I found it very interesting to hear that the First Nation groups have banned bear hunting, I wonder the details about this (if it just has to do with the spirit bear or more to it).

Also personally for me I don't seem to agree with hunting something if your not going to eat it. I have shot one black bear and it was a fun hunt but i didn't enjoy the meat so I haven't shot another one since. However I do want to shoot another one and try to prepare the meat a few different ways to see if there is a way I can like it. If I don't eat it I won't kill it. Having said that I don't feel strongly enough about this to impose this belief on others. Actually i think others should have the choice to hunt and kill bears for a just the skin. Hunting is a great management tool and it should be used, also it is a great economic component for numerous parties.

So I can sympathize with people who don't think you should hunt for trophies but I don't agree with taking that right away from people.

I find that figure about bear viewing bringing in more than hunting sceptical so I am searching more. Here is one study and it refers to just the Great Bear Rainforest and it looks bogus

Appears as though the study was done by "Centre for Responsible Travel" and was funder by a conservation group Tides Canada

http://www.responsibletravel.org/pr...ear_Viewing_and_Bear_Hunting_in_GBR_of_BC.pdf
It only refers to the GBRF and not to bear hunting in all of BC that is how they get their numbers
Also the First Nations have banned the TROPHY hunting of bears because they have actually set up a good economy for bear viewing and they feel that hunting would diminish that. Good on the First nations for finding an economic solution that lines up with their beliefs.

Interesting stuff.

Majority of Tides Canada funding comes from south of the border. They are currently under a Federal Canada Audit questioning their charity designation

http://news.nationalpost.com/2012/0...-threaten-stricter-charity-rules-enforcement/
http://fairquestions.typepad.com/rethink_campaigns/ten-reasons-to-inquire-re-tcf.html

Great article on the Tides foundation and center
http://www.activistcash.com/organizations/225-tides-foundation-tides-center/

bigfish b.c

Lil-Rokslider

Interesting stuff.

most of the reason behind the natives backing bear hunting closers is money,even if its closed for us it will always be open for them,there are some nations that consider them spiritual but not all.

birdman1

FNG
Have to try to fight idiots like this, once the hunt is gone, it's difficult to get it back. Alberta has banned Grizzly hunting and there are areas that have insane concentrations of bears