Post season leather boot care - what do you do?

In the coming weeks I will be packing up my hunting stuff until spring Turkey. My cold gear won’t see use until the Fall. it’s gear maintenance and replacement time for me and i am wondering what people do for leather boots after season (mine are kenetreks, crispi and danner, if that matters).

I usually give them a good cleaning and dry them good before rubbing a coat of some cream or paste like kenetrek or obenaufs. I let that dry and then they get stored until next year.

nobody

WKR
Sounds about right to me. I pull the laces, pull the insoles, and wash the boots with a soft-medium bristled brush and warm water, scrubbing everything clean. I also put the laces in dish soap and water to soak. Once everything is clean, I let them dry slowly, typically about 2 days. Then I treat the leather with a boot cream like the one from Crispi or from Kennetrek. I typically just get whatever is cheapest at Sportsman's. A big difference I think that I do that I don't think lots of people do is I cake that stuff on thick. Obviously I rub it in and spread it evenly (like butter on toast), but I feel like putting it on thick helps with longevity and protection. . Once it's on, I'll let it dry for a day or two, then I pick up the boots and bend and flex them in my hands before putting a second thinner coat on, being careful to make sure I get everything good and coated on the creases especially. Again, I let it dry completely before handling it, then I'll spray down any synthetic portion of the boot with a synthetic spray and let it dry for a couple hours. I'll put 2 or 3 coats on the synthetic portions (where applicable), again flexing the boots between applications. After the last coat dries, I put the laces back in and let them store for the year. Then during the summer, I'll wear them periodically or even just pick them up and flex them so the treatments don't crust over or anything. This process has worked great for me!

fwafwow

WKR
In the coming weeks I will be packing up my hunting stuff until spring Turkey. My cold gear won’t see use until the Fall. it’s gear maintenance and replacement time for me and i am wondering what people do for leather boots after season (mine are kenetreks, crispi and danner, if that matters).

I usually give them a good cleaning and dry them good before rubbing a coat of some cream or paste like kenetrek or obenaufs. I let that dry and then they get stored until next year.
I just finished my Crispis. I just clean and use the Crispi conditioning cream per directions/video (https://www.crispius.com/waterproofing-cream)

Last edited:

Lawnboi

WKR
Clean with Nikwax cleaner.

Treat with whatever the company calls for. And put them in a box in the basement till they come out in the spring.

That’s the cycle my mountain and pac boots take, usually around October the pac boots come out and the mountain boots go away.

Remove and inspect the laces. Buy new laces if required.
Remove and inspect the insoles. Buy new insoles if required.
Gently scrub and wash the outside of the boots.
Fill boots with water and look for leaks. (Learned this lesson the hard way right before going to Kodiak).
If no leaks…
Liberal use of Kenetrek boot wax and rub it in. Wipe off any excess.
Put insoles back in.
Re-lace boots.
Put away for the season or until next use.

I like to clean mine up good and get them nice and wet then as they are drying I’ll wear around the house so they don’t shrink up. Treat with a decent coat and wear around house or to work again to help stretch them out from drying and let the treatment soak in with movement and heat from your foot. One more good coat and set them on the shelf until shed season.

when things slow down, i will clean them as well as i can with a hose and my hand, let them dry, then mink oil them... i will usually do the same again in early August pre season. i have tried several leather products, but always come back to mink oil. going to try rendered bear fat in the future and see if i like it as well. i have not found any leather conditioner that lasts as long as mink oil