Primal Rights Competition Primer Seater Review

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Ever since I saw Jake @Unknown Munitions using the Primal Rights CPS I have wanted to get one for my reloading bench. I contacted them and Greg (@orkan) was gracious enough to send one to me for testing.

Currently, I'm using the RCBS hand primer tool or my press-mounted primer seater depending on what I'm doing. The hand priming tool is pretty fast but causes pain in no time and the press mounted priming tool is painfully slow. I have been looking for a better option for a while and believe I may have found it.

I also ordered the Inline Fabrication quick release plate system to mount it on. I can't wait to get it mounted and priming!

I'll post here as soon as everything arrives so click the "watch" button at the top of this post so you'll be notified.

Following.

That thing is painfully expensive but i felt the same about the autotrickler and giraud trimmer + 7 case holders and 4 cutting heads before they ended up on my bench.

Lawnboi

WKR
I though, when I got into reloading, that there is no way in hell I’m spending that on a priming tool. That said after doing 150 rounds for a match with my k&m hand primer, I started thinking of getting one of the CPS.

Maybe one day.

Glad to see primal rights on rokslide.

OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
I was able to run my first 100 brass through it tonight. Holy smokes is it awesome! It's really easy to use, it's fast, and my hand doesn't hurt!

The thing I was most surprised with was how well I could "feel" the primer being seated. That's one of the things I like about hand priming but this was even better.

20210303_182007.jpg

MThuntr

WKR
$600 precision machine uses $20 Lee Shellholders? Not a dig on Lee equipment because I use plenty of their stuff.

Serious question this is not intended to argue or mock because I'm truly interested...Did it do anything for your groups? If not, wouldn't something like the Lee Auto Bench Prime work?

orkan

FNG
Thanks for taking the time to do a write up Justin. I'm glad you're getting along with the CPS! Just a heads up, we're presently out of stock, but Unknown Munitions will be getting a shipment very soon!

Brendan

WKR
$600 precision machine uses $20 Lee Shellholders? Not a dig on Lee equipment because I use plenty of their stuff.

Serious question this is not intended to argue or mock because I'm truly interested...Did it do anything for your groups? If not, wouldn't something like the Lee Auto Bench Prime work?

Why reinvent the wheel when existing shellholders work fine? The ones I have from my Sinclair hand priming tool are what I use.

I have not tested it myself - but I have seen brief tests showing primer seating depth to offer improvements in ES. But, that needs do be done along with consistently uniforming your primer pocket depth and measure primer seating depth, so not just the CPS.

I've been using my CPS since last June, love it...

MThuntr

WKR
Why reinvent the wheel when existing shellholders work fine? The ones I have from my Sinclair hand priming tool are what I use.

I have not tested it myself - but I have seen brief tests showing primer seating depth to offer improvements in ES. But, that needs do be done along with consistently uniforming your primer pocket depth and measure primer seating depth, so not just the CPS.

I've been using my CPS since last June, love it...
That's fine I was just curious...seems like they'd use custom made parts for a precision instrument in an attempt to control all variables not so much prevent reinventing the wheel.

Brendan

WKR
That's fine I was just curious...seems like they'd use custom made parts for a precision instrument in an attempt to control all variables not so much prevent reinventing the wheel.

I agree, I don't think it's re-inventing the wheel, but has real high degree of attention to detail and it's just really pleasant to use. And, I don't know of any other that lets you adjust the depth or the amount of crush with that resolution (if it matters to you). For me, anything I can do to make the process easier, faster, and more consistent - I'm all over it...

OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member

My equipment and my skills are not at a level where I can see an improvement in my accuracy. I may get there at some point but I'm not there yet.

The Lee tool is not one that I have experience with so I can't say how well it would or wouldn't meet someone's needs.

I can say that the CPS is a pleasure to prime with and I am confident in recommending it to my friends.

OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member