Puffy coats... how do you carry them?

Hey guys, new to the puffy/hardshell world, but I was wondering how you guys carry your puffy coats. DO you just stuff them in the bag or do you find a small stuff sack or what?

I dont think I will use it a lot early season but it compresses so small and is so light I could see it being something i take all the time anyway.

Joe

ScottR_EHJ

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
In their stuff sacks, most will function as your backpacking pillow if necessary too.

Kotaman

WKR
Most stuff into their own pocket...For the ones that don't a small stuff sack. Yep, they are so light, many times late season, I carry two!

luke moffat

Super Moderator
stuff them usually in a dry bag. Keeps them dry in case my pack gets soaked in the rain or if I take a spill crossing a creek or something. Cheap insurance and allows it to be better molded and fitted in my pack than a little ball like the original stuff sacks make them into. Just protects it and fits it in my pack better.

jlsteel

FNG
At start of a trip its stuffed in its own pocket but I get lasy continually jamming it in its pocket so it ends of just stuff into the top of the pack for easy access and time savings. I probably should put it in a dry sac.

amp713

WKR
I roll mine into the hood of itself and shove it in my kifaru back pouch. My back pouch carries my rain gear, extra socks, beanie, stuff like that and then my puffy and spotting scope. Works pretty dang good so far!

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I roll mine into the hood of itself and shove it in my kifaru back pouch. My back pouch carries my rain gear, extra socks, beanie, stuff like that and then my puffy and spotting scope. Works pretty dang good so far!

You can fit all that in there along with that back pouch?? What spotter are you running.

amp713

WKR
ya in the one you sold me Luke! and its an alpen 15x45. I wanna get a bigger vortex so might have to rearrange to fit it all but its not even stuffed full actually.... Maybe ill have to get a pic haha

Craig4791

WKR
If I have to worry about getting wet it's in a dry sack. Otherwise on most of my California hunts it just gets stuffed in my pack.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
ya in the one you sold me Luke! and its an alpen 15x45. I wanna get a bigger vortex so might have to rearrange to fit it all but its not even stuffed full actually.... Maybe ill have to get a pic haha

Yeah I'd like to see a pic of that...as I didn't think it was THAT big...glad its working out for ya!!!

amp713

WKR
Ill try to get one tonight of all the stuff from inside it and then one of it filled up!

I fold mine into it's pocket and into the larger dry bag I have for everything else in my pack. I can't justify it having its own dry bag.

I stuff my puffy into my kifaru 5 string med with my sleeping back and merino layers for the hike in. When I get there I just stuff it into the pack however it fits. I've never once stuffed it into its own pocket or had its own bag. It works great as a pack filler. If I'm worried about it getting wet because its raining that hard I either use a contractor bag that im carrying anyway and stuff everything in that

amp713

WKR
gotta find this on my phone so i can upload pics... Bumping it up with my laptop hahaha

amp713

WKR
A pic of the stuff I have in it and a pic of how it's not even full.....

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 101
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 110