Question for Montana Experts

Donk

Lil-Rokslider
I was planning to hunt Wyoming general this year, but had someone back out. I applied for a cow tag in Wyoming and should draw. I hoped to scout for the general tag next year. I also applied for New Mexico but we all know those odds.

I just realized I’m about to get the boot in Montana. I have 2 Preference points and 4 Elk bonus points.
I should have a lot of vacation to burn this year.

For those of you that are well versed in Montana what are your thoughts? I could:
1: Eat the points and focus on Wyoming (hoping the odds hold)
2: Apply for the General and start my research and go DIY to Montana.
3: Apply for General and then apply for limited entry.

I will probably be going alone. Not sure how that affects things, but I know several of the General areas have Grizzlies.

Not sure what I was thinking. I did not realize I was going to lose my points this year.

Are there any other options you guys would look at?

Thank you for any input.

Erict

WKR
You are all but guaranteed to draw a general tag if you apply w/another preference point. Bonus points are a crap shoot but I would also apply for the LE permit as this is as close as you will get to drawing it.

If you don't apply, you can always do MT PP only starting in July, then another PP with the application next March, going in to the draw with 2. You will still have whatever balance of BONUS points you have accumulated.

You only live once - make the most of it.

bow_dozer

Lil-Rokslider
Archery you could draw some lesser LE.
Great opportunity to hunt bulls on a general tag in both seasons. Id say if you want to hunt bulls this year, this is your opportunity.

Any time in your area is an investment in the future. Skip Montana and buy points. Do the cow hunt in Wyoming. You’ll have fun and your chances of actually killing a cow and taking home some meat are really good. Way better than killing a bull in a general area in Montana. Plus you’ll be WAY further ahead when you come back to Wyoming looking for a bull which is a big deal after waiting and saving points to hunt there. I’ve hunted the heck out of both states and this is an easy decision for me.

fatlander

WKR
If you didn’t apply in Montana last year, and you don’t apply this year, you’re losing those preference points per the new regs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Correct me if I’m wrong I’m not up-to-date on the points rules. Can’t he buy a point without applying for a license?

OP
D

Donk

Lil-Rokslider
I think with the new rules I will forfeit my points.

Pancake

FNG
I'm in a very similar position. Two preference points with four bonus points in Montana. I only have so much vacation time, and I can't swing two elk hunts this year. I'm putting in for Wyoming GEN and will forfeit my MT preference points. But I'll buy MT points this year and next year when applying, so I "should" be able to get an LE MT archery tag next year pending how the general draw plays out given the regulation changes.

Herdbulll

FNG
We applied with 2 preference points but I know several people that forfeited their points. Regulations may get simplified again next year! 😀