Real bugle vs other hunters

Huntnfish89

Lil-Rokslider
I'm sure this has been discussed before, but I can't seem to find it.

I've been out the past 2 days in the Idaho panhandle, first archey elk season. First day I couldn't buy a bugle, put 11 miles in covering different drainages with no response. Today went to another area in the same general vicinity, but about a mile or 2 to the east. I still hunted my way up the draw early and decided to try a few location bugles around 8:45. The first one I got faint response, second one pound and clear, but it sounded a little " plastic" if that makes sense. I was worried that the thermals would switch too soon so I tried going up and around a little knob so I'd be above and west of where I thought I heard the bugle come from. Long story short I made it about halfway around cow calling before I hit a mess of tangles brush that was nearly impenetrable. I ended up back tracking and calling from location (c). This immediately got a response but now the sound came from from location (b) , I bugled again and was cut off, at this point I did another bugle, but probably should have made a challenge, but after this it went silent.

The whole time I was going back and forth with myself, is this an elk, or another hunter?
The more I think about it, I'm starting to think I might have actually been an elk as the knob that I was working around is an area where there are beds and rubs, and the fact that it would take considerable longer for a human to make it from point a to b as the logging road is decent in spots, but largely overgrown with firs 8-10' high, as well as it would be loud enough that I would think I'd hear if someone was making their way through it that fast.

Aside from the actual sound of the bugle another thing that threw me off was that it cut me off like you would if you were giving a challenge. Once again thinking about it, this would not be that strange for an elk to, right?

Sorry if this seems very basic, but reading about this/ watching videos only helps so much and making a plan in my head doesn't always translate in the real world.

Look I even made an attempt at drawing a diagram.
Black ink is me
Pink is elk/source of responses

Attachments

• 20210831_213430.jpg
    20210831_213430.jpg
    175.1 KB · Views: 151

Pgohil

WKR
Some of the most pathetic man sounding bugles I have ever heard, came from elk. I chase everyone I hear, until I can confirm.
Absolutely! You just never know. Last year in MT, walking back to the truck at the end of an 8 day
hunt, I bugled off a ridge and the response I got was so wonky we laughed.... Had to be a person. We stuck to it and 20 min later the bull was 50 yards in the brush. Couldn't seal the deal. Looped a big circle and Came in from a different direction, elk died at 35 yards. Chase EVERY BUGLE!

I'm a miserable caller. I've out called real elk before. I don't think there is much of a way to tell. I follow them all just in case.

If you are passing on bugles as being another hunter, you are passing on elk. One of the worst bugles I've ever heard sounded like a donkey, turned out to be a decent 5 point and went home with me that day.

corey006

Lil-Rokslider
In the peak rut I have heard Bulls that were so "hoarse" from Bugling that they sounded horrible.

Randle

WKR
Now that hoochie momma is unmistakable.
You are so right, but. walking out one morning to go check another draw we walking right into 5 cows , yep standing right in front of me I heard it , every time I cow called she answered with a hooch mama sound. I told my hunting partner she had a hoochie call stuck in her throat

OP
H

Huntnfish89

Lil-Rokslider
So what I'm hearing is stop overthinking it. Hear elk, get after them and stop trying to analyze the situation too much?

Bearshirt

FNG
How many seconds is the average elk bugle? I thought I seen a video once where someone said 3 seconds?

stephane110

Lil-Rokslider
If it went silent I would guess it was an actual bull. A hunter would’ve kept bugling to you (unless he or she saw you and backed out)

rhsmith3

FNG
From the information, If the bugle was over the top of yours and they waited for you to bugle again. I would guess it was a person. I have seen/heard bulls bugle over me but typically it’s after a serious bugle session.
But like others have said, most elk don’t know what exactly they are supposed to sound like. How they act/react is a better determining factor for me.

If the “elk” still bugles/calls when my wind is blowing straight towards it and there’s no way it wouldn’t smell me, then I’ll shut up and let things play out.

I turned my back on what I thought was another hunter bugling back at me my second year elk hunting and hiked out. When I got back to camp, I told the more experienced hunters about it and in their opinion, it was most likely an elk.

I think about that often….

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You are so right, but. walking out one morning to go check another draw we walking right into 5 cows , yep standing right in front of me I heard it , every time I cow called she answered with a hooch mama sound. I told my hunting partner she had a hoochie call stuck in her throat
The hoochie definitely sounds like the real deal despite the pros on here who bash it. It’s all about timing and cadence, if there is such a thing. I called in my first giant bull with one. Funny, I never carry that call anymore. Big Dan advised to throw it in the trash and I have never bought another one

OP
H

Huntnfish89

Lil-Rokslider
From the information, If the bugle was over the top of yours and they waited for you to bugle again. I would guess it was a person. I have seen/heard bulls bugle over me but typically it’s after a serious bugle session.
But like others have said, most elk don’t know what exactly they are supposed to sound like. How they act/react is a better determining factor for me.
This is what really had me thinking it was another person. In any case I should have probably moved in earlier when it was still up at the head of the draw instead of trying to circle around and waste time. Right?

Thanks for all the replies so far. As I said I'm still pretty green when it comes to elk so the insight is appreciated!

Broomd

WKR
About ten years ago I decided to exclusively stand/blind hunt a small clearing that I'd killed elk in before.
I sat on a bugling elk for three nights straight waiting for him to show himself. I even had other hunters come into my stand area chasing the same calls. One guy rolled in with his 4-wheeler actually expecting to see an animal standing there! grrrrr.
On day three I saw a hunter sneak down from a thicket and shoot a bull that was out of my view. But after talking with him, the hunter himself was the source of all the calling.

Motto for me: don't put all of your eggs in one basket! :) That 'elk' might be a dude.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
3 things have helped me determine cow call few guys will respond rake many won’t call or get them to grunt dead give away…if can’t decide better to go in than miss an opportunity🤙 also is the bugle the same every time or simply tooooo long

nphunter

WKR
I treat every bugle like it’s a bull until I can confirm otherwise. It helps to be familiar with the area also.