Recoil Confusion... I've done something weird.

DJL2

Lil-Rokslider
First off, the "is this already being discussed" feature is awesome. Hat tip to someone.

Moving on, I put together a bolt gun recently in 6.5 Creed in a Manner's CS-2. I got every together to go do a shake down tour at the range. The rifle, ready to shoot, was pushing 10 lbs. That's a fairly hefty gun in a relatively soft shooting caliber.

It absolutely kicked my ass. No, seriously, I wish I was joking. Sore shoulder, red marks, the whole deal. Even managed to get my cheek caught in the stock for a sweet goose egg. It's the most brutal shooting rifle I own... probably the least pleasant 25 rounds of ammo I've fired in recent memory.

Shot for shot, I'd take my 8.5 lb Tikka T3x in 7mm Rem Mag. Or my K31. I have no explanation for this as yet. I've clearly done something wrong or invoked the wrath of the gods. Anyway, enjoy a laugh at my expense... this was too sad/funny not to share.

mlgc20

WKR
Ya… those 2 mile creedmoor setups whoop your ass when your shooting! Don’t know what your shooting but even super hot handloads in a creedmoor shouldn’t do that…

My only thought would be the stock fits you terribly and your floating your shoulder and cheek.
Agree with this assessment. Is your scope mounted high? I’ve noticed with high mounted scopes, my check weld can get sloppy.

gbflyer

WKR
Only time I’ve ever gotten bloodied by a scope was with a 7-08. Had to check - in my man card. Hahahaha.

manitou1

WKR
I have a 7mm-08 that has the most brutal kick out of all my sevens... 7mm Rem Mag, two .280 Rems , two 7mm-08s, and a .280ai. It has bloodied my brow on occasion. Stock design is the only thing I can come up with.

It's stock fit.

I'd compare the length of pull, and the drop with other rifles you have. Something is going on. You need to figure out what works for you. It could also be awkwardness from a bench you aren't use to.

A 10# manbun should be a kitten. I mean it's made for pussies.

T28w

WKR
It's stock fit.

I'd compare the length of pull, and the drop with other rifles you have. Something is going on. You need to figure out what works for you. It could also be awkwardness from a bench you aren't use to.

That last line made my day 😂

OP
DJL2

DJL2

Lil-Rokslider
Any chance they were hand loads?
No, Sir, fired some Hornady and S&B factory stuff. All 140. Realized I was just making noise and being miserable, packed it up and went home before I got to my hand loads.
It's stock fit.

Right on all counts. I‘ve punched a lot of man bun primers and it’s never been anything but pleasant. I forgot my shooting mat and did shoot off the bench, which I almost never do. The CS-2 LOP is clearly not dialed in like it needs to be.
Have you considered picking up golf?
Somehow, I’m ever worse at that, but I do a better job dressing the part.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
When I got a Ruger FTW rifle in 6.5 CM "with a muzzle brake", I figured with the brake it would feel like a .223. Nope. Even in a lead sled it felt like more recoil than my unbraked .270 Win, and the fit is fine. That gun has a thick recoil pad on it too. Have no idea why it felt like that. My normal rifle is a 7 mag with heavy handloads, and even that one doesn't "kick my ass", so the 6.5 isn't an ass-kicker........just more recoil than I would expect.

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
I had to look up the manners CS-2.

Yea its for sure going to be a stock fit issue. What recoil pad does that stock have on it?
I have a EH1 that I bought that came with a 1/2" pad on it. The first 30 rounds of m 270 left me with a bruised shoulder. Gun is recoiling right at 17 ft lbs. Switched to a 1" pad and now its very pleasant to shoot.

OP
DJL2

DJL2

Lil-Rokslider
Any previous shooting experience with your new stock?
None. I figured adjustable LOP would be desirable and the ergos on this seemed pretty close to (maybe even better) to my McMillan Game Warden.

I had to look up the manners CS-2.

Yea its for sure going to be a stock fit issue. What recoil pad does that stock have on it?
I have a EH1 that I bought that came with a 1/2" pad on it. The first 30 rounds of m 270 left me with a bruised shoulder. Gun is recoiling right at 17 ft lbs. Switched to a 1" pad and now its very pleasant to shoot.
I spoke with Manners, I’m pretty sure it’s the Pachmayr rifle presentation pad (part # 500B) but fit to the particular Manners butt (and AG Composites). I don’t know if that’s the Manners standard… consistency like a lacrosse ball, and billed as a more functional replacement for a metal butt plate.