Removing old scope mountingbases

zacattack

WKR
So, I’ve recently inherited my dad’s marlin 30-30 and apparently at some point he must’ve dropped it or something cause the scope on it is toast. I was going to just take everything off of it and use the iron sites. Anyhow got the scope off but can’t get the screws on the bases to budge at all. From looking at the screws on the rings looks like possibly red loctite or some other glue/adhesive was used. So I’m assuming that whoever mounted the scope used that on the bases too. What’s the best way to deal with this crap? Heat?

OP
Z

zacattack

WKR
Thanks. I’ll try a hair dryer or something tomorrow. I’m assuming it’s red loctite, when I did get some of the screws loose on the rings a whole bunch of dried reddish colored adhesive cane out with the screws. Not sure what else it could be.

Brake fluid will dissolve red loctite and is such a low viscosity it will flow down inside/in between the threads.
Use a toothpick or small paperclip, dip the tip in clean brake fluid, then touch the tip to the offending screw head. Dont saturate the area, just apply enough to made the screw head shiny and let it sit for half an hour or so. Repeat as needed.
Alternatively, use a heat gun to try and loosen them, if that doesn't work take a plasma cutter to the mounts. ( please video this)👍

Wrench

WKR
It takes about 400* f to release red loctite completely. A soldering iron on the head for 5-7 seconds should do it.

Red is no joke....don't try to force it.