revalation x 20* long wide

Quilt? It looks just liek a sleeping bag... So what are the main differences in a traditional bag and these quilts?

Looks nice BTW!

OP
littlebuf

littlebuf

Banned
Quilt? It looks just liek a sleeping bag... So what are the main differences in a traditional bag and these quilts?

Looks nice BTW!

go back and look closely at the first few pictures I posted and you will see the features that separate the two. let me know if theres any thing particular you want to see on the quilt and ill try and get a pic up for you

OP
littlebuf

littlebuf

Banned
Don't you hate when your feet hang off the pad? I'm 6'4 and have a torso Zlite and I just put my pack under my feet. I found that to fix the problem of cold feet.

I tend to end up on my side most of the time so it doesn't bother me to much. but yes when laying flat on my back hanging off the pad as much as I do can be annoying. but then my feet have been hanging off the end of the bed most of my life, guys our size are just kind of used to it

Lawnboi

WKR
Good to see how one of these finally works.

I cant for the life of me figure out why people don't consider the woobie or doobie a quilt. I do almost the same exact thing with my K blankets that you do minus the zipper on the bottom.

I like the idea with the straps. I may have to try something out with my quilts.

Regardless, as a side sleeper I think these things rock. With my bags I always end up with my face breathing right into the bag, which we all know creates some serious condensation. With these quilts I can manipulate it how ever I choose.

OP
littlebuf

littlebuf

Banned
the woobies don't have the stand alone temp rating that most quilts have do they? also aren't they a little shorter? ive always wanted to pick one up as a secondary piece of gear since they look far more durable than most quilts as far as field use like glassing goes. that's one big difference is this would be way to big to drag around on the rocks glassing with, its strictly a sleep sytem

Lawnboi

WKR
the woobies don't have the stand alone temp rating that most quilts have do they? also aren't they a little shorter? ive always wanted to pick one up as a secondary piece of gear since they look far more durable than most quilts as far as field use like glassing goes. that's one big difference is this would be way to big to drag around on the rocks glassing with, its strictly a sleep sytem

As far as stand alone temp goes, they are made of the same fabric as the k sleeping bags. The woobie is equal to their 40*bag and the doobie their 20*. No real way to go any colder than that, cause they just don't make them. Along with that when temps get below the 20's I tend to like a full bag, cause lets face it, draft collars and hoods DO keep you warmer, regardless of comfort.

They are pretty big, don't know about for you big guys. Im pretty small. But I can actually fold over the doobie and still use it. I usually fold it in half, tie the loops and put on the pad, seal the foot section and im good to go. I rarely seal up the neck part, I like to use it like a blanket at home. If its cold I can wrap it over my head, if its warm I can leave it down. It leaves a lot of extra insulation up top as well, adding to the warmth especially in a bivy.

The woobie express is even smaller, and I can still use that as a quilt, just not as comfortably.

As far as moving around with it goes. Just like your insulation layer, you can easily suck these up into a stuff sack (they come with one attached as well) and go. They are tough, I wouldn't be caught dead sitting glassing or by a fire with a down bag...

For warm weather I choose the woobie express ( use it as my insulation layer as well), a little cooler and ill whip out the doobie. Even colder ill take a 20* bag and the woobie express. Versatile sleep system.

Quilts are nice though, I like to stick my arms out of my bag throughout the night, I like to be able to adjust how warm I am in my bag on the fly and I like the dual role they can play for me atleast. But bags have their place as well. I just cant go down into those lower 20's and teens without the hood and some of the other amenities of a full sleeping bag

I have a 40* quilt from Tim for the summer months that weighs in at 14oz and compresses to the size of a grapefruit. Ive taken it down to 32* with my puffy and merino on. Tim is a great guy to deal with and has the best quilts around.

n2horns

WKR
I too have a 40* quilt in long wide for late spring/summer use. i debated the quilt for a long time and finally got one early last year. I toss and turn and hate bags because i cant ever find that temp I like. Not to mention the bag either gets wrapped up on me or I unzip at night and find the bag half on the floor.

I am now looking that the Rev X but in 0* for winter months. I am debating on if I want to do long extra wide for winter quilt, to allow more side to tuck under for less drafting. the sleeping bag you crush the down underneath you so its wasted money and weight.

The sleeping bag was looking at was the Western Mountaineering Bristolecone.

OP
littlebuf

littlebuf

Banned
well theres snow on the ground this morning at my house and it feels like its below 30 out there. tonight im pitching the tent and sleeping in my quilt as I would on a hunt. so for all of you (myself included) who want to know if a quilt will keep you warm in cold temps, ill let you know tomorrow.

Ironman

Lil-Rokslider
well theres snow on the ground this morning at my house and it feels like its below 30 out there. tonight im pitching the tent and sleeping in my quilt as I would on a hunt. so for all of you (myself included) who want to know if a quilt will keep you warm in cold temps, ill let you know tomorrow.

Looking forward to it.

Haven't seriously considered a quilt until this thread, and watching several quilt videos. This may be just what I'm looking for.

Ironman

Lil-Rokslider
Go to google, or you tube and type in revolution X quilts, and there are a few there.
Then, of course there are related videos, that have other manufacturers of quilts as well.
I really like how the EE footbox is designed, over most other manufacturers. Hope this helps.
IronMan, where did you find the quilt videos?

7mag.

WKR
Good luck tonight, Trevor. The low tonight is supposed to be 28, and it was 30 at my house this morning at 6:00 am. I'm anxious to see how your night goes, I've been considering an EE quilt, but you're the only person I know that has one.

OP
littlebuf

littlebuf

Banned
you can come by and check it out if you want ken. fillthefreezer is going to also. tomorrow if he can make it by

Ironman

Lil-Rokslider
Curious why you wouldn't glass or sit at camp using a down quilt? I see no difference other than the weight to warmth ratio.

Two things.

(1) nature burns quicker, faster.

(2) dries, or doesn't absorb the same.

OP
littlebuf

littlebuf

Banned
says the guy on central time. im loading some pics now