revalation x 20* long wide

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
How about a 20* quilt and a Woobie? Not much weight, and it gives you the woobie for glassing or emergency overnights. I wonder how cold the combo would manage?

What does the Woobie weigh? Seems like you would get way more warmth for the weight with a high quality down coat?

Rucker61

WKR
What does the Woobie weigh? Seems like you would get way more warmth for the weight with a high quality down coat?

I have that, too. I can use the Woobie for summer camping while my wife uses the quilt. For late season camping, keeping the Woobie and Sierra Design DriDown in the daypack can cover some pretty cold temps, and make an unexpected overnight away from the spike camp a little more enjoyable.

I used an overstuffed rev-x 30* as a contractor in AFG this past winter. I usually slept in tents that were heated but had the odd opportunity to shiver my way through a night due to equipment failures. I actually ordered the rev-x after one miserable night at a spanish FOB. The coldest I tested it was 30* according to the official wet bulb though my breath-omometer said more like mid to upper 20's. I was comfortable at that range wearing just boxers under the quilt. Temps in the mid 50*s is about the max I could use the quilt at before it got so stifling hot that hanging a leg out wouldn't cut it. 30's-40's were the sweet spot and I would do 20's without much worry especially if I had a base layer to wear with it. Teens I would expect to need additional insulation layers. I do believe that I could sleep down to the lower teens with the rev-x + my base layer + MH compressor jacket/pants and a hat. I don't think I would die but I certainly wouldn't be "sleeping" much if the temp headed toward zero or below!

OP
littlebuf

littlebuf

Banned
the whole woobie thing seems like ne of those, whats it called on here? GIF's ideas. seems neat and ive tried to talk myself into needing one but I agree with Justin. get a nice down coat,takes way less room in the pack

muleman

WKR
the whole woobie thing seems like ne of those, whats it called on here? GIF's ideas. seems neat and ive tried to talk myself into needing one but I agree with Justin. get a nice down coat,takes way less room in the pack

+1 Down jacket is less weight too. 20oz for a Woobie and 10oz for a Kuiu Super Down Hooded Jacket. Woobies ia about $100 cheaper though.

OP
littlebuf

littlebuf

Banned
well i'm finally getting around to updating this thread. spent around 30 nights in this quilt this year. from warm summer nights to 12 inches of snow and every thing in between. i have to say it lived up to all my expectations and i will never be going back to a bag. a few examples of what sold me through my experiences with this quilt

1- weight and pack ability. i think i covered this pretty well in this thread but i just cant stress enough how great a ratio this thing is. i don't know a another bag that is a long/wide at this rating that packs so well. entire sleep system including tent/pad/pillow and quilt with attachment straps in one stuff sack and under 5 pounds. yes please

2- ease of use/configuration and temperature regulation. very versatile and great design. get warm its easy to open up, get cold its easy to cinch down and warms up fast

3- comfort. like sleeping in a big comfy cloud, so nice

4- warm. well here's the big one right? every one looks at a quilt and is just dumbfounded at how it could possible keep you warm. my configuration is a rev X 20* long wide/ neo air Xlite pad with pad attachments. this set up kept me warm in October while sleeping directly on top of 12 inches of snow with temps dropping well below freezing. i made no changes to my sleep set up and pitched it on snow purposely to see how it would do. slept in my merino tops/bottoms, kifaru beanie and darn tough socks for two nights on the snow both nights getting into my quilt relatively wet and certainly cold from the day of hunting. both nights i was not only warm but had to open the quilt maybe once or twice at night as i would wake up to help regulate a comfortable temperature. needless to say, pretty happy with that.

5- performed exceptional in wet conditions. i hunt western Washington, that should be just about enough said but ill keep going. this year during elk season we experienced one of the wettest couple of days Ive ever seen, at one point there was 4 inchs of rain in just under 2 hours but it lasted for two days. i was camped around 5000 ft in a single wall tarptent shelter. although i was camped on high ground the rain was coming down so hard it was flooding on top of the hill. i had water out side my tent coming up over the side of the bathtub floor and bing a single wall shelter i had a ton of condensation and just plan rain coming in. not only was my quilt wet i was wet when i got in it. long night but not a cold one, stayed warm and woke up dry. had a few other occasions to get into this quilt with wet clothes and all experiences were the same. stayed warm woke up dry. im not going to get into the down/ synthetic argument here. this is my experience, this is how it worked take it or leave it.

6- value. i know the fill rating has changed for the latest models but these things are still hands down one of the best values on the market.

Manosteel

WKR
Thanks for the follow up, this thread was what helped me to make the jump to a quilt for next season, picked up a reg rev20* a month ago.

7mag.

WKR
Again, great review Trevor. You have me convinced. I will come check yours out after things settle down this year.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
I have to add this.

7- Ease of getting out of your bag when you sleep walk! Haha! You guys should see how scary it is to wake up to a grunting and growling littlebuf climbing out of his tent in the middle of the night.

Wolves and bears are nothing compared to that.

colonel00

WKR
I would like to thank you but I feel my wallet has a different opinion :) Regardless, I now own two quilts thanks in part to your initial review. Only have about 20 days with one of them but I was instantly sold.

OP
littlebuf

littlebuf

Banned
I have to add this.

7- Ease of getting out of your bag when you sleep walk! Haha! You guys should see how scary it is to wake up to a grunting and growling littlebuf climbing out of his tent in the middle of the night.

Wolves and bears are nothing compared to that.

HA! i was waiting for that. and yeah its a good point. apparently i can shoot right outa that thing

7mag.

WKR
I am going to piggy back on this thread instead of starting a new one.

I received my Revx 10° quilt a few weeks ago. I hadn't had a chance to try it out yet, until last night. It was cold and clear, and was supposed to drop below freezing. I set up my GoLite SL3 in the backyard, without the nest. I put my Enlightened Equipment, Revalation X, 10° quilt, and Big Agnes Insulated Air Core inside my MSR E-Bivy, in the tent. It was about 4:00 pm, so I left it until bed time.

According to my thermometer, it was 29° at 10:00 pm. When I woke up at 6:00 am, it was 27°, and I was toasty warm. I wore Sitka Core bottoms and top, with wool socks and a Sitka beenie, just like I would on a backpack hunt. I can't remember having a more restful and comfortable nights sleep, in a tent, on the ground.

There was a stiff breeze for most of the night, lowering the felt temperature below the 27° on my thermometer. I had the footbox closed up on the quilt, and I was using both straps attached to my pad. The combination of quilt, pad and bivy, was comfortable, with no drafts. I wasn't using the head portion of my bivy, and I didn't have the top of the quilt closed up at all. I had plenty of room to roll over, sleep on my side, and even my stomach.

So far, I am very pleased with this setup, and I saved weight and space in my pack.

rhendrix

WKR
Thought I'd ask this here. I stupidly left my quilt in the compression bag for several months...I basically got back from Utah and tossed my pack in the garage until about a month ago. It's now hanging in the bag in the garage, but the down seems to have compressed quite a bit. Are there any tricks to fixing this or will it just eventually fix itself now that it's not compressed?

OP
littlebuf

littlebuf

Banned
It will fluff back up. Leave it hanging give it a shake now and then. Glad your liking the quilt ken. Your going to love it I. The mountains this year

7mag.

WKR
Thanks Trevor, it looks like it will be exactly what I have been lookin for. I am confident that I can use it into the single digits with comfort.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I got my wife a 30 degree RevX that was already made and ordered a long wide 0 degree for me that is being made before Tim stops making them. I am an extreme cold sleeper when outside so the 0 degree should work fine for my Sept elk hunts. But will experiment this summer. Just wanted a different option that was lighter than my long wide bag. And saving over a pound off that.

rhendrix

WKR
It will fluff back up. Leave it hanging give it a shake now and then. Glad your liking the quilt ken. Your going to love it I. The mountains this year

Thanks buddy, I'll make it a point to try and fluff when I walk by it daily.

Just got my revx 20 today, can't wait to use it, this thing is sweet. Blue and orange, go Broncos!

dyjaty6e.jpg

I used a 30 Degree Prodigy X quilt this year. I really liked using a quilt, although many nights were me huddled with it in full warm mode I can see how its nice for venting and sleeping on your stomach. I'll be rolling with mine another year.