First hunting rifle, looking for scope advice.

ForkLift

FNG
I purchased my first hunting rifle over the summer & Im now in the market for a scope. The rifle is a .30-06 and it will be used for moose & caribou in interior Alaska. My dad gifted me a 338wm, but between the price and scarcity of that round up here, my go to will be the .30-06. My budget is max $700 (although Id like to stay below that) not including rings, research has led me to going with Talleys once I’ve picked a scope. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thank you.

Although I just bought a set, talleys wouldn’t be at the top of my list. I prefer trijicon over the swfa, but those are the 2 I would look at. You can get a 3-9 Huron pretty cheap at the moment.

With a rifle that recoils like that, make sure you invest in how you're attaching the scope to the rifle.

OP
F

ForkLift

FNG
Although I just bought a set, talleys wouldn’t be at the top of my list. I prefer trijicon over the swfa, but those are the 2 I would look at. You can get a 3-9 Huron pretty cheap at the moment.
If not Talley, what brand do you suggest?

Does the .30-06 have substantial recoil?
I'm an illiterate moron, thought the 338 was the rifle in question. Though to be honest my go-to is the same regardless of cartridge. ARC rings on a pic rail which I'm sure some would hate.

OP
F

ForkLift

FNG
I'm an illiterate moron, thought the 338 was the rifle in question. Though to be honest my go-to is the same regardless of cartridge. ARC rings on a pic rail which I'm sure some would hate.
Got ya. That rifle came with a scope (thanks dad.)

TaperPin

WKR
The Talley steel rings are awfully nice if that’s the ones you were talking about.

Winchester Model 70. I was considering the steel Talley quick detach rings (the kind without the lever.) Id like to add irons to it one day, which is my reasoning for the quick detach.
I prefer a pic rail, and some decent rings. I like the seekins rings as more of a budget option, but you can get crazy if you’d like.

Outwest

WKR
Leupold vx3 would be my pick. I have really liked the simplicity of them. I’ve had good luck with warne rings but I wouldn’t say I’ve been around the block with them. A good set of steel rings should serve you well.

OP
F

ForkLift

FNG
I prefer a pic rail, and some decent rings. I like the seekins rings as more of a budget option, but you can get crazy if you’d like.
Would going the pic rail route raise the height over the bore more than a weaver or leupold style base?

OP
F

ForkLift

FNG
Leupold vx3 would be my pick. I have really liked the simplicity of them. I’ve had good luck with warne rings but I wouldn’t say I’ve been around the block with them. A good set of steel rings should serve you well.
Ive heard good things about Leupold. Ive also been looking at the Trijicon heron line. There was another post about the Heron that I was looking at. Read a few complaints about the eye relief being on the short side.

OP
F

ForkLift

FNG
Pic rail is higher than a weaver or leupold base. And the eye relief on a Huron shouldn’t be a concern. I have a Huron on a 30-06 and it’s fine.
I like the BDC & German # 4 reticles they offer. They have a 3x9 40mm that I’ve been eyeing. May have to make an online order...