Robby's building a 6UM!

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Form, what is your reasoning for recommending this scope for his application?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0-600 yards, he doesn’t want to dial, it’s about the only reliable and durable FFP with good reticle that doesn’t have tall turrets. And he wants good glass. Currently he is using a Swaro SFP with mil based BRH reticle. The S&B Klassik is a greatly improved version of that scope.

Listened to most of the podcast while driving today. 16 to 20 lbs of recoil aint a huge difference. I think Bobby may need to hear @Dioni A out on the 22 creed. 😁 Maybe Bobby is a better shooter than I but 16# of recoil is far from a guarantee i'm spotting shots from field positions.

I found the dumping on the 270 WSM and classic hunter kind of odd. Sure I wouldn't choose it from scratch but it has a better BC than the 108 ELD according to applied ballistics and at over 3200 FPS its pretty bad medicine for a BDC holdover guy.

Last edited:

Dioni A

Basque Assassin
Listened to most of the podcast while driving today. 16 to 20 lbs of recoil aint a huge difference. I think Bobby may need to hear @Dioni A out on the 22 creed. 😁
Pretty sure when I calculated it out the 22 Creed was somewhere around 9.... Ballistics are basically identical to a 6 UM and the brass cost is about 1/4 the price. It seemed like a no-brainer to me.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
….I found the dumping on the 270 WSM and classic hunter kind of odd. Sure I wouldn't choose it from scratch but it has a better BC than the 108 ELD according to applied ballistics and at over 3200 FPS it’s pretty bad medicine for a BDC holdover guy.
😂👊

Yep guys have been hacking on me for years about it.

On “spotting shots,” I think it’s the addition of the suppressor that’s making that possible, not just the drop in recoil.

😂👊

Yep guys have been hacking on me for years about it.

On “spotting shots,” I think it’s the addition of the suppressor that’s making that possible, not just the drop in recoil.

Suppressor will help for sure. Ultra 5 like discussed on the podcast wouldnt help as much as some other options. I’m curious if @Ryan Avery notices more recoil reduction with the scythe and its single port brake than other comparable cans.

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
@Bobby denning

Here is what I have learned.

I have never regretted a shorter barrel and a longer can.
If I had my tikka to build again I would have done minimum required barrel lengths for the can I was running or minimum length to not be a SBR. Right now mine is at 20" and I could lose another 2-4" per barrel.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
@Bobby denning

Here is what I have learned.

I have never regretted a shorter barrel and a longer can.
If I had my tikka to build again I would have done minimum required barrel lengths for the can I was running or minimum length to not be a SBR. Right now mine is at 20" and I could lose another 2-4" per barrel.
thanks! We're soft of barrel length right now until we figure out rifle OAL. I'd like it to be close to my CA 270 WSM at 43.5". Nice handling gun, fits in horse scabbard, so I don't want to go longer. @Ryan Avery thinks if I go 19" barrel on the 6UM with the can he's suggesting, I should be close.

CC55

FNG
Genuinely curious, if 0-600 yards, why the 6UM and not 6 creed or 22 creed or even 6 PRC? Wasn't the main designing point of the 6UM to have the highest hit rate from 600-1200?
This was my question while listening to the podcast as well. 22 creed does seem like like a great option, especially for deer. Cheaper to shoot and pretty similar to 6UM in ballistics, might last a bit longer if anyone cares.

Only negatives I can think of with the 22 creed:
-better bullet splash with the 6mm at 600'ish yard ranges
-if the 88 ELDM shoots poorly by chance, you get a limited selection of other high BC options
-it might be too far down the "darkside" path to start with....6UM could be the gateway drug ha

ID_Matt

WKR
This was my question while listening to the podcast as well. 22 creed does seem like like a great option, especially for deer. Cheaper to shoot and pretty similar to 6UM in ballistics, might last a bit longer if anyone cares.

Only negatives I can think of with the 22 creed:
-better bullet splash with the 6mm at 600'ish yard ranges
-if the 88 ELDM shoots poorly by chance, you get a limited selection of other high BC options
-it might be too far down the "darkside" path to start with....6UM could be the gateway drug ha
I think 6UM has become the answer to everything for everyone.