"Set and Forget" Scope Opinions

OXN939

WKR
Looking for an optic to ride a .300 WSM Model 70 for Alaska big game things. Desired qualities include: lightweight 1" tube, BDC reticle/ set and forget turrets, middle magnification (2-10x30ish). I care more about its ability to withstand wilderness antics reliably than being able to count the hairs on a mouse's back at 500 yards. So, here are some of the top contenders:

1. Vortex Razor HD LH 2-10x40
2. Leupold VX3i 3.5-10x40
3. Zeiss Conquest 3-12x44
4. Leupold Rifleman 4-12x40
5. Vortex Diamondback 4-12x40
6. Burris Fullfield 4.5-14x42

Question is this: Is there enough performance gained for one of the first three to be worth the cost of the last three combined? Am I missing something that falls in the extremely large price gap between #3 and #4? Firsthand experience with any of the above, positive or negative? Any of the above manufacturers want to send me one to op test for a season?

... Kidding aside, I appreciate any input. Currently leaning towards finding a Leupold Rifleman to check out in person and going with that unless I find a persuasive argument otherwise. Thanks in advance!

OP
OXN939

OXN939

WKR
Leupold 2.5-8X36

Looking for something with at least 10x magnification. Also, confusingly, Leupold no longer manufactures a 2.5-8 optic with any kind of BDC reticle, which is also one of my prerequisites for this build.

Wrench

WKR
I've broke a bunch of scopes...but that list would be zeiss or meopta and leupold. Everything else is not in the hunt.

I've broke a few scopes too... including Zeiss (x2) and and even the legendary M8 Leupold. But for a set and forget, I'm ok with Leupold. Not a fan of the eyebox on the 4-12x40, so it's 3-9x40 for me. The "Freedom" version I used this last year held zero fine on some rough hunts and even tracks spot on. Could be I'm lucky, but I'd do it again and since I've never shot anything set over 8x power, the lesser scope mag is fine by me.

Do they even still make a Rifleman? I'd thought the Freedom series took over all those slots?

OP
OXN939

OXN939

WKR
I've broke a few scopes too... including Zeiss (x2) and and even the legendary M8 Leupold. But for a set and forget, I'm ok with Leupold. Not a fan of the eyebox on the 4-12x40, so it's 3-9x40 for me. The "Freedom" version I used this last year held zero fine on some rough hunts and even tracks spot on. Could be I'm lucky, but I'd do it again and since I've never shot anything set over 8x power, the lesser scope mag is fine by me.

Do they even still make a Rifleman? I'd thought the Freedom series took over all those slots?

They appear to have some remaining Rifleman inventory to go through. I too have a Freedom, which is virtually indistinguishable quality-wise from a VX-2 to my eye, but the hashmark reticle they offer the 4-12 with is pretty busy.

Any firsthand reviews of the Rifleman series? Can't say I've ever had an optic with "micro friction" adjustments as opposed to tacticle clicks.

Napperm4

WKR
Leupold 3.5-10x 40 VX3. I have had them mounted on a couple of my rifles for 6 years and have yet to adjust anything after sighting in the first time.

They’ve come into the bush, been whacked around, ridden on my pack, in a boot on my atv and in my truck for countless miles.

OP
OXN939

OXN939

WKR
Leupold 3.5-10x 40 VX3. I have had them mounted on a couple of my rifles for 6 years and have yet to adjust anything after sighting in the first time.

They’ve come into the bush, been whacked around, ridden on my pack, in a boot on my atv and in my truck for countless miles.

Nice. I've got one I've had to Alaska three times now- it's seen some stuff and performed admirably. Another item that I'm not a big fan of with Leupold is the way the B&C reticle is set up- it requires you to have a 200 or 300 yard zero. I'm not sure why they do this, considering that a 100 yard zero is far and away the most common one used. I personally have been using 100 yard zeroes for work for years, and am going to stick with the technique I've got lots of experience with... so, I'd have to do the math to see which distances the hashmarks of their reticle correspond to in order to use it the way I want. Silly. Vortex's BDC reticles all allow you to use 100 yard zeroes.

Last edited:

Rodéo

WKR
I also have experience with the razor hd lh line and I love the scopes. The turrets aren't meant for serious dialing but are still much more positive than the leupold vx3 and rifleman that I had. The glass is clearer on the vortex as well. Lightweight, good reticle with the G4 BDC (although a prefer traditional crosshairs like some leupold's have), and similar in price to VX3 and zeiss option you listed.

. Another item that I'm not a big fan of with Leupold is the way the B&C reticle is set up- it requires you to have a 200 or 300 yard zero. I'm not sure why they do this, considering that a 100 yard zero is far and away the most common one used.

Interesting. Must be a regional thing? Virtually person I've ever hunted with here has used a +/- 200 yd zero for non-dialing scopes. Can think of very few exceptions.

Carr5vols

WKR
Got a leupold vx mounted on a300 win mag and would not want anything more. I did go with a 50 reticle instead of 40 for better light gathering. Worth the money.

LaHunter

WKR
I'm not sure of the reticle options of the Leupold VX-2 line of scopes, but I have a couple of these on rimfire rifles and I was really surprised and impressed with the glass. I have used the VX 3s and Mark 4s for several years, and the VX-2 4-12X40 is a very good scope for the money. I can't really comment on how it would take abuse, but it may be worth taking a look at, based on your needs.

Gumbo

WKR
My Leupold VX2s have withstood years of abuse (almost 20 years for one and 12 or so for the other) and have never been nocked off. Pretty basic scopes but they have performed flawlessly for me.

I slipped crossing a creek and used a vx2 to break my fall held zero fine.
I think it's a pretty min price upgrade to vx3 and you get better coatings and its worth it just to have the bump on the power knob.