"Set and Forget" Scope Opinions

Rusty85

WKR
Use to I would have said Leupold but ever since the vx3i and newer freedom line I would put them in the junk category. Adjustments are spongy and the glass is below par with what you use to be able to expect from them. Ive had 3 scopes from them in the last two years that had to go back for failing to hold zero. And before someone says it I’ve mounted hundreds of different scopes over the years. The vx5 and vx6 I feel are nice scopes but will cost you more.
I’ve never had a problem with the higher end Vortex, cheaper ones are another story. I have two of the LH’s in the 3-15 power and feel they are really good scopes for the money. Better glass and adjustments than others in that price range and always held zero. I also have a Swaro Z3 4-12 that falls right in line with what you are looking for. I can’t speak for any of the Zeiss scopes.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I’ve had good luck with the vx3i line as well. I just wish mine had a basic Plex reticle, I got sick of dealing with generic BDC reticles on sfp scopes since the graduated marks are completely different depending on your magnification.

I over it, on a set and forget scope I want a basic Plex reticle and if I’m dialing i want a mil reticle and dials.

I mean seriously, what am I supposed to do? Pull up the app for whatever scope I’m using and see what the marks come out to be at different power levels??? Or make sure I only shoot at one level??? Maybe 2 levels???nah.

LightFoot

WKR
1. Vortex Razor HD LH 2-10x40
I have the 3-15 that I plan to take to AK this year. Good optic. Warranty is great though I hope to never need it.

2. Leupold VX3i 3.5-10x40
Love this scope. I ordered one from the custom shop with a ballistic reticle for a NULA 6.5 CRD. The glass was way better than I expected. I would probably go this route for the money.

3. Zeiss Conquest 3-12x44
Glass in the conquest is great! I run a 3-9x50 on an older rifle. Been going strong for years on 3 or 4 different guns. I would absolutely trust this.

4. Leupold Rifleman 4-12x40
Had a rifleman on a rifle several years ago. The feel of the adjustments when sighting in were enough to make me move on. Glass is not in the same category as the others.

5. Vortex Diamondback 4-12x40
No experience.

6. Burris Fullfield 4.5-14x42
Had one of these on a 30-06. It got the job done. Can't say I would pick it over any others, even at a discounted price.

Overall you pay more for clarity and confidence. How much is that worth to you? For $400 you can get a VX3i that will fit all your needs. There is the best value.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

DLIP

Lil-Rokslider
No experience with that Vortex but I used to have that same VX3 and it was a great scope.

Braaap

WKR
Recently put a SWFA 2-10X32 ultralight on my little 6.5 CM. Standard duplex reticle and despite the limited eye relief claims its absolutely zero issue. Capped windage and elevation. However you can reset the turrets which appear to work well so far. Got a perfect 100 yard zero, reset turrets, then dialed the 12.25 MOA (wish these were in MILs ;) ) for 590 yards, I shot it twice, then let my buddy shoot it once. All 3/3 at 590. Then dial back to 0 and verified still perfect 100 yard zero. Def not a dedicated LR scope, but given the niche this rifle is on as a sub 400 yard hunting rifle thats mainly gonna be a set and forget setup. I will be getting one more of them for the other lightweight 308 win I have.

3K0qnKq.jpg
How is the glass at low light? I've been looking for something for my T3x 6.5 cm that's lightweight and reliable.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I've had good luck with the meopta meopro 3-9 scopes I've had, ther low light performance is at least as good as the vx3i scopes I have.

OP
OXN939

OXN939

WKR
Interesting. Must be a regional thing? Virtually person I've ever hunted with here has used a +/- 200 yd zero for non-dialing scopes. Can think of very few exceptions.

That would make sense- most eastern hunters average shorter shot distances than guys out west. Ended up picking up a Razor HD LH. Great glass and I like the old school T reticle. Appreciate all the insight, guys!

OP
OXN939

OXN939

WKR
Recently put a SWFA 2-10X32 ultralight on my little 6.5 CM. Standard duplex reticle and despite the limited eye relief claims its absolutely zero issue. Capped windage and elevation. However you can reset the turrets which appear to work well so far. Got a perfect 100 yard zero, reset turrets, then dialed the 12.25 MOA (wish these were in MILs ;) ) for 590 yards, I shot it twice, then let my buddy shoot it once. All 3/3 at 590. Then dial back to 0 and verified still perfect 100 yard zero. Def not a dedicated LR scope, but given the niche this rifle is on as a sub 400 yard hunting rifle thats mainly gonna be a set and forget setup. I will be getting one more of them for the other lightweight 308 win I have.

3K0qnKq.jpg

Damn dude. Billy killer for days right there. I've never come across an SWFA optic in person to take an in depth look at them, but would love to some time.

Rich M

WKR
1. Vortex Razor HD LH 2-10x40
I have the Razor spotter 11-33x50 and it is great glass.

Also, the Viper is a good line - I have one of the original 2-7x36 scopes and it is very nice.

2. Leupold VX3i 3.5-10x40
This is what sits on my primary rifle.
Best scope for the dollar IMO. Shop sales and such - I've seen them at $300 lately. Think there are a couple in the classifieds.

3. Zeiss Conquest 3-12x44
Don't have - good scope tho. Supposed to be the same "level" as the VX3.

4. Leupold Rifleman 4-12x40
Cheap. - I have a VX-2 and it is a level or two above the Rifleman. It cost me a buck in low light - couldn't see the antlers well enough to know if I could legally shoot the deer.

5. Vortex Diamondback 4-12x40
Don't have. Lots of folks like this one. No experience here.

6. Burris Fullfield 4.5-14x42
Don't have. This is a proven scope - not sure how Burris has kept up with the upgrades like the other companies.

Stay away from cheap scopes - something makes it cheap. The main considerations are the internal components, light gathering, and eye box.

Yes 1-3 are worth the extra $$$ over 4-6.

Of your choices, I'd buy no. 1 or no. 2.
Nos. 3-6 nope.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
You could use a Nightforce SHV 3-10 and just "set and forget" it but still have the ability to dial for the occasional longer shot that goes out past your comfort zone.

OP
OXN939

OXN939

WKR
You could use a Nightforce SHV 3-10 and just "set and forget" it but still have the ability to dial for the occasional longer shot that goes out past your comfort zone.

I like Nightforce optics, but they're so damn heavy. The Vortex Razor I picked up is 5 ounces lighter with the same magnification range and a solid BDC reticle.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I like Nightforce optics, but they're so damn heavy. The Vortex Razor I picked up is 5 ounces lighter with the same magnification range and a solid BDC reticle.

I know we all get obsessed with weight but I honestly don’t think I notice 5ounces....especially when it makes me shoot better.

Everything is a compromise in the end though.

Looking for something with at least 10x magnification. Also, confusingly, Leupold no longer manufactures a 2.5-8 optic with any kind of BDC reticle, which is also one of my prerequisites for this build.
3.5 x 10 x 40mm has always satisfied my needs from A to Z

I'm not sure of the reticle options of the Leupold VX-2 line of scopes, but I have a couple of these on rimfire rifles and I was really surprised and impressed with the glass. I have used the VX 3s and Mark 4s for several years, and the VX-2 4-12X40 is a very good scope for the money. I can't really comment on how it would take abuse, but it may be worth taking a look at, based on your needs.
if it's a "newer" VX2 the custom shop will do custom reticles I believe - if you send the custom shop an email with questions they WILL respond, just not normally the next morning (but sometimes) - serial # determines if they'll work on it or not - I've been a lifelong Leupold customer and have never had cause to complain about anything

OP
OXN939

OXN939

WKR
I know we all get obsessed with weight but I honestly don’t think I notice 5ounces....especially when it makes me shoot better.

Everything is a compromise in the end though.

A valid point. Mostly, it's a convenient excuse to avoid the reality that I can't afford Nightforce glass 😂