Shop necessities? Would like your ideas.

I do my butchering and meat packing in my shop. this tool cart makes keeping it all together and clean easy. i pulled all the finish off the top and its basically a "ok" butcher block now. with this and a folding plastic table i can process whatever i want package it up and take up to the house. wash everything off and put it up and cover it back up to keep it clean.

harbor freight tool boxes arent bad for the money either for the weekend guys. i have 2 that i use in my shop for mechanic tools as well.

OP
hunterjmj

hunterjmj

WKR
I fully understand that. You can always add bathrooms and that kind of stuff in the future. Aint nothing wrong with a funnel through the wall.
Luckily I don't have neighbors for at least a mile. I pee freely wherever. 😆

WCB

WKR
Overhead storage racks to keep stuff off the ground that you do not routinely use. Just put up one of these this summer and plan on adding another.

I also have a 4ft x 15ft shelf built out of lumber lag bolted onto a beam on the wall and another 4x8 shelf I built again attached to the walls but up over head. Get you coolers, stands, blinds, traps, decoys, etc. up out of the way.

Air hoses and electric cords on reels if possible and again as high as you can. I lucked out and my father in law does office remodels...I picked up some cabinets from one of his job sights to tuck all my bigger tools in then just bought an upper module of a snap on type tool box and keep all my pliers, snippers, screwdrivers, etc in there. my garage is small enough where a rolling tool box is basically pointless as it is usually within a step or two anyways.

aslo as mentioned above outlets outlets outlets...lights lights lights. get the brightest LEDs you can...

Azone

WKR
110/220 power, water and compressed air by the front doors. Then shelving and maybe even a small pallet rack for bulkier items. Maybe an exhaust fan as well in case your dealing with excessive fumes and smoke from a project.

Edit: Shop around for a old forklift or a overhead hoist on rollers with a decent chain block on it.

Sherman

WKR
Pulley/hoist system from the rafters to hang a carcass for easy processing, stainless sink and counter to process game with grinder, slicer, and vacuum sealer.

Too late to dig a small pit for easy oil changes.

Dedicated electric hookup and breaker for an RV. If your gonna plumb for a bathroom, integrate an RV clean out/dump just outside the shop.

OP
hunterjmj

hunterjmj

WKR
Pulley/hoist system from the rafters to hang a carcass for easy processing, stainless sink and counter to process game with grinder, slicer, and vacuum sealer.

Too late to dig a small pit for easy oil changes.

Dedicated electric hookup and breaker for an RV. If your gonna plumb for a bathroom, integrate an RV clean out/dump just outside the shop.
I'm putting in a 30 amp for campers but no clean out. I don't need people hanging around that long. If the chitter is full it's time to go. 🤣

Last edited:
Pulley/hoist system from the rafters to hang a carcass for easy processing,

This ^^^

I did the same in mine. (2) 2x6s nailed/screwed together and turned on end, placed between the trusses with a double joist hanger (so that it was flush with the bottom of the trusses). Then a hole drilled through them with a 1/2” eye bolt to hang my gambrel from (or a future hoist). 4 eye bolts so I can hang multiple deer if needed.

OP
hunterjmj

hunterjmj

WKR
My shop is still a work in progress, so don't mind the mess!

Cordless tool hanger is a nice addition!

4BcNP4U.jpg

UPQWyYi.jpg
Where did you get that screw gun holder thing? This is one thing I'd really like to have.

OP
hunterjmj

hunterjmj

WKR
Plumb for a utility sink and washer/Dryer as well,
Get a small Outside storage container for Paint/chemicals/ sprays etc. can also do shelving in it for nuts bolts small parts and then that doesn’t take up space and dirty interior of shop.
I'm already thinking I'll build an awning on the left side to park my pickup and store anything long as well as shovels, rakes and odd ball stuff.