Shop necessities? Would like your ideas.

mike.adams.467

Lil-Rokslider
220V receptacle near the garage door for a welder

Gambrel and hoist overhead for skinning/quartering animals
I did the same thing. I also closed in one end with an 8x8 cold room, in which I installed an AC unit with a Cool Bot. I have 2 1 1/2" pipes across the top where I can hang 2 elk-sized animals, and cool the room to 37-40 degrees. I also have a floor drain in that room.

OP
hunterjmj

hunterjmj

WKR
Epoxy the floor. Can’t believe what a game changer That is for mine.
I like the look but don't understand the point I guess. I don't get pickup bed liners either so maybe I'm weird. What's the benefits?

cbeck36

Lil-Rokslider
I like the look but don't understand the point I guess. I don't get pickup bed liners either so maybe I'm weird. What's the benefits?
Cleanup is sooo easy. Oil, grease wipe right up. I get a half a bucket of water and pour on dirty spots and broom it out. The nasty stuff that drips off of the vehicle from a rain storm or snow storm brooms out easil.

Nykki

Lil-Rokslider
I put up a 40x60 shop building back on 08. I put an outlet every five feet and a 50 amp outlet by two of the overhead doors. I use two bay's for working on whatever project I have going with pallet rack shelving dividing those from the "clean" bay where I do engine work. As others have said put in more lights and outlets than you think you'll need. I put in four, six bulb t5 florescent fixtures in each bay.

OP
hunterjmj

hunterjmj

WKR
I put up a 40x60 shop building back on 08. I put an outlet every five feet and a 50 amp outlet by two of the overhead doors. I use two bay's for working on whatever project I have going with pallet rack shelving dividing those from the "clean" bay where I do engine work. As others have said put in more lights and outlets than you think you'll need. I put in four, six bulb t5 florescent fixtures in each bay.
Are you happy with every 5 ft? Sounds like good spacing. I'm definitely going heavy on LED lighting. My old garage was really lacking in both departments.

OP
hunterjmj

hunterjmj

WKR
A pallet jack comes in handy and low profile dollies to move larger heavy items.
oh yes, concrete floor anchors if you have to com- along things into the shop stalls.
I have a hand truck and use it more than you'd think. Very handy and fairly cheap.

WTFJohn

WKR
I have a 30ishx40ish enclosed shop, with 12 ft eaves on the long sides & a mezzanine over 1/3ish of the inside, and still want more space. My thoughts are shelves and bins for all hunting stuff/seasonal activities, anything larger than a bin goes on a pallet/pallet racking (make them ~2' lower than ceiling height). Toolboxes/drawers for all hand tools, shelving for power tools (or hangers for the common use items), dedicated hydrocarbon storage (oils, gas, etc...), at least 2 large metal-topped workbenches and 1 wood topped. Bolt bins/Fastenal bins for everything from bolts to vehicle fuses to zip ties to hydraulic fittings. As much lighting as you can afford, same with power & outlets. Air hose on spool by front door, hard plumbed air in rest of shop with shorter hoses, biggest & quietest compressor you can afford too.

OP
hunterjmj

hunterjmj

WKR
I have a 30ishx40ish enclosed shop, with 12 ft eaves on the long sides & a mezzanine over 1/3ish of the inside, and still want more space. My thoughts are shelves and bins for all hunting stuff/seasonal activities, anything larger than a bin goes on a pallet/pallet racking (make them ~2' lower than ceiling height). Toolboxes/drawers for all hand tools, shelving for power tools (or hangers for the common use items), dedicated hydrocarbon storage (oils, gas, etc...), at least 2 large metal-topped workbenches and 1 wood topped. Bolt bins/Fastenal bins for everything from bolts to vehicle fuses to zip ties to hydraulic fittings. As much lighting as you can afford, same with power & outlets. Air hose on spool by front door, hard plumbed air in rest of shop with shorter hoses, biggest & quietest compressor you can afford too.
This shop is 30x40 as well. It'll have a 10x30 insulated room for all my hunting gear then the rest will be uninsulated for now but will store all our crap then a nice workbench and plenty of shelving. I'll definitely hard pipe air to a few places besides the reels by the doors.

Nykki

Lil-Rokslider
I'm happy with the five foot spacing on the outlets. When we wired it we put two outlets in each box and split them between two circuits. So I really have two outlets every five feet.

OP
hunterjmj

hunterjmj

WKR
Thanks for all the replies. Definitely going to use many of the suggestions. Some may be down the road and some I probably won't because it's to late or to expensive.

Here's what I'm going to use from the suggestions.
Outlets every 5' on most walls
Tons of LED lighting
Reels for air/power by doors
Hard piped air in a couple spots
Power for welder by door
Reinforced and spot to hang meat
Battery/cordless storage
Rolling toolbox (husky) can't afford snap-on
Outside rack storage for long items/fuels/yard tools

I'll go back through it again but thanks for all the ideas.