Shopping Local...

I've seen a number of comments lately about not buying online and shopping local.

I agree with the sentiment, I shop local, and locally owned as much as possible. To the point it sometimes frustrates my wife. I won't go to Target or Walmart, won't hardly go to chain restaurants. Prefer to buy local beer. Lol

But let's face it, we have a (or more) less common interests. In addition to the hunting I fly fish, modify vehicles, etc.

We have really only have one small outdoors shop in town, I buy a good bit from them, some more stuff from bigger retailers in the area. But there's nothing for the vast majority of parts I need to buy. I buy quite a bit online because of that. From smaller retailers if possible. Amazon is a last resort.

Are y'all really able to buy the vast majority of stuff locally, or do you wind up needing to buy a fair bit online? Smaller retailers or mostly Amazon?

I wish! I enjoy the immediate satisfaction of buying and having it immediately available. Especially parts to things that are broken now. Same goes for hunting/fishing items. Recently got a hole in my waders and had to wait a week for shipping. It sucks.

Lonebow

FNG
While I'm trying to support local economy as much as possible I do it by paying 6 figures taxes ( lol). Brick and mortar stores are usually more expensive because of overhead, takes time and gas money to get to them and usually offer no discount ( coupons). For local transactions I find myseld using more Offer up, CL, marketplace more than local shops. I do buy locally if I need it NOW.(duh)
Amazon is a shitshow lately. Sellers commingle inventory and I believe you have unscrupulous sellers sending fake/off brand marked as genuine item. Amazon robots just drop everything in the same storage areas and inventory is mixed. That's why you can order from Amazon and receive what a chinese seller sent FBA . Ebay is better where the seller you use is the seller that sends you the item

Geewhiz

WKR
I prefer to buy locally and often do if I can find what I need at a reasonable price but so often what I need is not available locally and if I can find what I need locally they are selling it at literally 3-4x the price that I can find it online.

Example, I went to buy shock absorbers for my pickup at oreillys locally and they quoted me I believe $64/per, Online at rockauto they had the exact same part/item number/manufactuere for $16/per. Sorry But Im not paying local prices. I wish they could be more competative.

Example #2 needed a fair amount of PVC for an in ground irrigation system. Had (only a fraction of what I needed) in town for $1.20/lin ft, whereas I could drive 2 hours to lowes and get the same stuff and the quantity I needed for $0.68, Saving several hundred dollars.

Same thing for sporting goods type things but more often than not when I need isnt even available in town, let alone reasonably competative.

Backyard

WKR
It’s not like it used to be.

Im done with the shop local crap. You’re usually getting price-gouged far above the reasonable price, because they claim the convenience of local over driving 20-50 miles or waiting a few days for shipping.
And where I am, the merchants don’t appreciate the effort of shoppers actually sticking around and patronizing their establishments.
I can get treated like crap for a lot less of my hard earned money elsewhere.
Just my experience.

All depends on price, convenience and if I may need to return it or am worried about warranty.

I‘ll compare pricing typically with Amazon as they are generally the cheapest and can get most anything to me next day or max 2-3 days. Most stuff is dry goods, home cleaning supplies, etc.

Generally if it’s home project based Home Depot or Lowe’s is more convenient and close in price. Plus it’s very easy to return.

Electronics, I refuse to buy any electronics off of Amazon. Generally either direct from the manufacturer or Bestbuy.

True “local mom and pop, brick and mortar stores” don’t really exist where I live. If they do, they are way over priced.

I already pay enough in taxes to support my local community and then some. I don’t worry about it. Same as where it’s made. I simply buy the best product for the best price. I don’t have time for all the other nonsense.

Buying local is just so much easier, convenient, and less hassle than buying online. Any higher cost is so worth it imo.

I dread the day society as a whole shuts it all down with their online shopping habits forcing local shops to close and me to shop online as my only option. Probably not too far off seeing as youngins have people pick up their groceries and fast food and deliver it to their house now even.

Reactions: OMF

dutch_henry

Lil-Rokslider
I've been surprised by the non-franchise shops around me. If I'm about to take a big hit for buying local, I'll ask, and have found that a decent number will lower their prices (or even price match).

Traveler

WKR
Local when it makes sense and there are options, sometimes there isn’t an option.

Local:
- home construction/improvement, flooring, cabinets, roofing, paving, etc
- archery
- garden
- restaurants

Chain/National:
- grocery
- gas
- home goods
- clothing
- hunting gear
- streaming services
- electronics

I’m just not going local for most day to day things - batteries, light bulbs, trash bags, cleaning supply,

Swamp Fox

WKR
[...]

We have really only have one small outdoors shop in town, I buy a good bit from them, some more stuff from bigger retailers in the area. But there's nothing for the vast majority of parts I need to buy. I buy quite a bit online because of that. From smaller retailers if possible. Amazon is a last resort.

Are y'all really able to buy the vast majority of stuff locally, or do you wind up needing to buy a fair bit online? Smaller retailers or mostly Amazon?
Around here, a two-hour-drive radius would get me maybe half the outdoor stuff I'm interested in, from small to large items. And I don't live in a "retail desert."

I'll pay for service, and even for camaraderie and Most Valuable Regular benefits, but time is money and I want what I want.

CCooper

WKR
The wife and I make an effort to do what we can locally especially. Gas and groceries from local places, dine at local restaurants, etc. other things efforts are made to keep it in the US within reason, and we will always favor small businesses when we can. Some things are inevitable, but the goal is to make an effort to do what we can as long as we can afford it. Amazon is also a last resort for us.

Rich M

WKR
I don't have opportunity "to buy local". It is mainly chain stores. Go where is convenient or where know will have what we are looking for. Do buy from amazon and online retailers.

There's a local "Amish" general foods store near but no Amish people own it or work there. It seems all they do is buy stuff in bulk, put it in little bags with an Amish label on it & sell it for about twice what the same stuff costs in the grocery store. Never understood why people shop there.

Dented

WKR
Around home, I'll spend cash at local owned business. When I'm traveling, I make a point of shopping local business's. Particularly gun shops, fishing shops, and I'll only eat at local places. I'm typically in small towns, the revenue matters and I really enjoy getting to know the shop owners.

Last edited:

ODB

WKR
I rarely if ever buy online, but when I do, it's usually through Amazon.

I’ve noticed some companies are getting more competitive with prices/shipping/returns with their own products relative to Amazon. Seems they have figured out even a smaller number direct sales is worth it since they don’t have to pay Amazon.

I have no proof but I think Amazon is partly to blame for the ridiculous shipping costs person-to-person. Prime is great, but giving Amazon all that discount shipping has not made USPS etc more competitive, only higher.

Dented

WKR
Amazon developed a rep for low prices. Over time I've found that they lost that edge. I always check other places before I buy from Amazon. Convenience isn't always the best choice.

Used to buy damn near everything online. Since I purchased my shop, I try and buy local when I can. For some reason my views have changed on this subject LOL

OP
displacedtexan
I rarely if ever buy online, but when I do, it's usually through Amazon.
I've got a wholesale account with the guy in Wisconsin I buy most of my parts from. Simms, First Lite etc aren't on Amazon.

I still buy a good bit from Amazon though. Less than my wife. Lol