Shopping Local...

Dos XX

WKR
I've seen a number of comments lately about not buying online and shopping local.

I agree with the sentiment, I shop local, and locally owned as much as possible. To the point it sometimes frustrates my wife. I won't go to Target or Walmart, won't hardly go to chain restaurants. Prefer to buy local beer. Lol

But let's face it, we have a (or more) less common interests. In addition to the hunting I fly fish, modify vehicles, etc.

We have really only have one small outdoors shop in town, I buy a good bit from them, some more stuff from bigger retailers in the area. But there's nothing for the vast majority of parts I need to buy. I buy quite a bit online because of that. From smaller retailers if possible. Amazon is a last resort.

Are y'all really able to buy the vast majority of stuff locally, or do you wind up needing to buy a fair bit online? Smaller retailers or mostly Amazon?
There used to be a good fly shop in Tulsa. I don't know if they are still there. They had a bunch of big two handed spey rods for fishing for stripers below the dam. I can't remember the name of the shop.

McLellan's fly shop in Fayetteville is a great shop. I'm sure he would ship to you. He has a great selection of hooks and tying materials. That is my go to shop.

I use to order a lot of stuff from K & K Flyfishers in Kansas City. They have a huge selection of hooks and tying materials and other things. Both these shops have old school type knowledge of flies and tying of flies. I think K & K got me onto Gamakatsu hooks for bonefish flies years ago.

OP
displacedtexan
There used to be a good fly shop in Tulsa. I don't know if they are still there. They had a bunch of big two handed spey rods for fishing for stripers below the dam. I can't remember the name of the shop.

McLellan's fly shop in Fayetteville is a great shop. I'm sure he would ship to you. He has a great selection of hooks and tying materials. That is my go to shop.

I use to order a lot of stuff from K & K Flyfishers in Kansas City. They have a huge selection of hooks and tying materials and other things. Both these shops have old school type knowledge of flies and tying of flies. I think K & K got me onto Gamakatsu hooks for bonefish flies years ago.
That shop must predate my time in Tulsa, or at least fly fishing.

The Gadget Company has been around for 25+ years, the new (for 7-8 years) owner fly fishes a lot, so there's a decent selection.

Thanks for the recommendations!

Especially for stuff like that, a few days wait isn't a problem at all for quality stuff.

My wife supports Amazon too much. We do a lot of DIY as we buy and sell houses every few years. It pays for us to go to Home Depot 2 hours away with a list rather than hitting the building store in town. Outdoor store in town is pretty fair on some items and terrible on others. We buy flies online because they are a quarter the price than in town but guns are as good of price in town than online. Support local when we can. Knowing certain people around like mechanics and electricians has helped us with guidance on bigger jobs.