Side arm for bear protection….?

No discussion needed. Auto or revolver

• Drum of ammo

Votes: 21 21.2%
  • Magazine of ammo

Votes: 78 78.8%

• Total voters
You’ll want to do some research outside of this thread and decide for yourself. No glocks for me… Even if I ultimately decided I’d be ok with shooting lead through a factory Glock barrel I would still not buy one due to the poor case support. My handloads are above Hodgdon listed max. I spoke with Hodgdon and my bullet supplier. I wouldn’t do that with a poorly supported case. My money, my time, my decision.

Last edited:
And… to be honest a firearm of any type is my second choice for this purpose. I also carry pepper spray. No chance I go to court using the spray. If I’m walking in the dark and something has my hackles up the spray is in my left hand and the pistol is still available for my right. Problem with spray is it doesn’t punch through tent walls or do great into a strong wind. As hunters we break three of the biggest “how not to be” rules in bear country. We walk at dawn/dusk. We walk into the wind. We walk quietly. Given those things our odds are better (worse?) for an encounter. I bring more than one option and follow all of the other rules as best I can.

OP
P
And… to be honest a firearm of any type is my second choice for this purpose. I also carry pepper spray. No chance I go to court using the spray. If I’m walking in the dark and something has my hackles up the spray is in my left hand and the pistol is still available for my right. Problem with spray is it doesn’t punch through tent walls or do great into a strong wind. As hunters we break three of the biggest “how not to be” rules in bear country. We walk at dawn/dusk. We walk into the wind. We walk quietly. Given those things our odds are better (worse?) for an encounter. I bring more than one option and follow all of the other rules as best I can.
I’ve had that exact thought many a time… our actions as hunge hunters in the woods not ideal

OdinIII

Lil-Rokslider

And yet BuffaloBore and Underwood who would be named in the lawsuit have said repeatedly that their “Hard Cast” loads are fine in Glock barrels.

Also, both BB and UW say that their loads are fine in Colt Delta Elites that barely even have a chamber to support.

I just hate to see the OP be pushed in a certain direction due to issues that he will never have. He should get the pistol that fits him the best and that “speaks” to him when he holds it.

Most modern pistols will do what you want them to do and do it well. Also, none of them will be 100% with all combinations of red dots, sights, attachments and loads with everyone firing them.

Last edited:
Reactions: dla

Blasey

FNG
Most of you guys are correct, but to clarify the G40 long slide should not be shot with lead bullets - not because they foul the barrel but because the have two open ports on each side of the barrel to help with muzzle flip (target pistol). There is a possibility that lead could shear off through those ports and reach the shooter. The same goes for the S&W 500, they give me two different muzzle brakes with it, one for lead that does not have holes in the top for this very reason and one for jacketed bullets that does have holes in the top to reduce muzzle flip. I have never had any lead build up in my Glock 20 barrel and I used to shoot a lot of them before the Buffalo bullets went up to $65/box of 20!!!

Edit: To prove how clueless I am about what’s what, I thought 1911 was a model from a particular manufacturer in a particular caliber. Little did I know it’s now a “style” and in lots of calibers.

Thanks
It’s a design that’s been around a while. There is an almost cult like love for them. I’m a member of that cult ;-)

OdinIII

Lil-Rokslider
It’s a design that’s been around a while. There is an almost cult like love for them. I’m a member of that cult ;-)

I still regret not buying that factory 10mm TRP with RMR for $1300!!! at my LGS a few years ago. I’ve got a couple 1911’s in 10mm but don’t really plan to use them again. I now require reading glasses and after experimenting with red dots on pistols there is no turning back for me. Red dots are required equipment for me.

CJ19

WKR
I enjoy a good story about some scary animal trying to eat someone. Jordan Budd podcast below provides perspective on the topic at hand. As usual Jordan does a very good job with the interview. Not sure if someone else linked it already.

OP
P
Seems like we have some pretty knowledgeable folks here. What’s the skinny on S&W 10mm?

Looks like 4” is longest barrell available. Not wild about that

Found one Springfield at 5.25” for $1,075. That seems a bit steep, but I also found one at auction that’s currently at $960, so I guess that price isn’t completely unreasonable.

Found a Glock with the 6” barrel.

Called Glock. They said even the 20 will stabilize a 200+ grain bullet no problem. He did say no lead bullets. I asked about solid copper and he also said no. I have no clue why you couldn’t shoot a solid copper bullet problem free. Thoughts?

Last edited:
Seems like we have some pretty knowledgeable folks here. What’s the skinny on S&W 10mm?

Looks like 4” is longest barrell available. Not wild about that

Found one Springfield at 5.25” for $1,075. That seems a bit steep, but I also found one at auction that’s currently at $960, so I guess that price isn’t completely unreasonable.

Found a Glock with the 6” barrel.

Called Glock. They said even the 20 will stabilize a 200+ grain bullet no problem. He did say no lead bullets. I asked about solid copper and he also said no. I have no clue why you couldn’t shoot a solid copper bullet problem free. Thoughts?
I didn’t know about the No copper thing. And the Glock still has very little chamber support. Google “10mm Glock smiley”.
If I were to buy a Glock I’d also buy a KKM barrel. Tack that onto the price before comparing to the SA.

with some of the mods suggested a Glock 10mm is a fine side arm choice and has really picked up popularity with many outfitters and guides over the past decade. There's no substitute for being proficient with whatever your method of choice is- pistol, spray, both etc

OP
P
Well, i just bought a spotting scope, tripod and pan head. Thinking I may practice with my 44, pack it and try to keep it on me as often as possible as well as bear spray. But who knows. Maybe I’ll commit to a 10mm next week. I did weigh my 44 revolver. Loaded with an Ultra Dot Match Dot II it came in at four pounds. Scope would be coming off if I take it. Not all that bad. I think the G40 with 15 rounds is about the same. Who knows. I feel differently about the whole thing every day. Which is nothing new for me. Paralysis by analysis.

Well, i just bought a spotting scope, tripod and pan head. Thinking I may practice with my 44, pack it and try to keep it on me as often as possible as well as bear spray. But who knows. Maybe I’ll commit to a 10mm next week. I did weigh my 44 revolver. Loaded with an Ultra Dot Match Dot II it came in at four pounds. Scope would be coming off if I take it. Not all that bad. I think the G40 with 15 rounds is about the same. Who knows. I feel differently about the whole thing every day. Which is nothing new for me. Paralysis by analysis.
I know what you mean. Though you have the option of loading that 10mm with 10 rounds. 3 rounds of my 200 gr WFNGC weigh 2 ounces. So you’d save weight and still have four more shots than the revolver. Also, many/most people go with a shorter barrel than the G40. More weight savings potential.