Side arm for bear protection….?

No discussion needed. Auto or revolver

• Drum of ammo

Votes: 21 21.2%
  • Magazine of ammo

Votes: 78 78.8%

• Total voters
Always imagined I’d go revolver, but starting to reconsider.

Kinda thinking I may go to the dark side.

I get the pros and cons of both.
Having lived in AK for 30 years now, I've been involved in countless conversations regarding handguns, calibers, and rounds of choice for bear defense, and I have often found it interesting how many folks I've discussed this with that have very strong opinions, but have never actually had a bear encounter where they've had to discharge their sidearm. Kind of like asking someone who's never killed a [insert animal of your choice], what's the best caliber for that species? I would like to hear from the folks that have actually been in that situation, as to what THEY think is the best setup/combo.

Having lived in AK for 30 years now, I've been involved in countless conversations regarding handguns, calibers, and rounds of choice for bear defense, and I have often found it interesting how many folks I've discussed this with that have very strong opinions, but have never actually had a bear encounter where they've had to discharge their sidearm. Kind of like asking someone who's never killed a [insert animal of your choice], what's the best caliber for that species? I would like to hear from the folks that have actually been in that situation, as to what THEY think is the best setup/combo.
There are examples. I believe Hunt Backcountry podcast had a recent guest.
I don’t have a strong opinion either way. I just know what I carry and have my reasons. Only time I had a close encounter was on Tustumena Lake. I had my 45-70 and didn’t need to shoot.

BDWMT

FNG
Glock 29 or S&W 69. My two that I alternate between that I hope will do the job if I find myself in that unfortunate situation.

OP
P

They say bear spray over 90% effective. “They”. I’m thinking pick that up and then carry an already owned gun as back up.

I get it. Low odds. But it’s still worth thinking through. I’m the same guy who goes on a 4 hr fishing trip with 500# ice, Epirb, Sat phone and a case of water. You just never know. Good or bad.

jpmulk

WKR
They say bear spray over 90% effective. “They”. I’m thinking pick that up and then carry an already owned gun as back up.

I get it. Low odds. But it’s still worth thinking through. I’m the same guy who goes on a 4 hr fishing trip with 500# ice, Epirb, Sat phone and a case of water. You just never know. Good or bad.
It seems like every time I hear of a mauling or death by bear, they find an empty can of bear spray on scene. I don't feel like I hear that about an empty gun nearly as often, if ever. Not a scientific statement by any means, and happy to be proven wrong. Just my observations.

That said, I do think bear spray is a good option for the vast majority because most people are not proficient enough with a handgun to use under stress.

repins05

WKR
Glock 19 in a chest rig. Prefer mag capacity.

If we are talking grizzly......454 or sw500. Had a to close of an encounter in Montana.......15-20 yards. Puts things in perspective.

OP
P
Got the scope off This morning and been messing around with it a little. 3.46 pounds loaded with 240 grain (what was in hand and convenient). Think I’m gonna carry this and put the 10mm $ towards a nice holster and just do my best to carry. Also need to go to woods and get some drill time in to see if I’m even close to being Proficient enough to justify. 35087DAB-F64B-477C-9C11-5ED553D55D96.jpeg

OdinIII

Lil-Rokslider
Think I’m gonna carry this and put the 10mm $ towards a nice holster and just do my best to carry.

I can’t say enough how much I like the Kenai chest holster. I ordered it thinking I wouldn’t like it but I was very wrong. I don’t know if they make one for your revolver but you should check them out if they do. The G40 is a very long pistol with a lot of weight out front. I honestly can’t even tell it’s there and that’s with a 2 cell light and red dot.

I’m also happy that I won’t have to sleep at night knowing I allowed you to be swayed towards an XD. Sorry Wyobohunter. Just kidding, sort of….

I've had a couple different chest holsters for my .500, but the best by far, IMO is the Diamond D Guide's Choice. Not exactly light wt., but it sure does carry nice.
6659f55ed175c2d12bce4a3a0cf2bca4.jpg

f94073aaf2e77c1c90672407c9ed74d7.jpg

Last edited:

jpmulk

WKR
I can’t say enough how much I like the Kenai chest holster. I ordered it thinking I wouldn’t like it but I was very wrong. I don’t know if they make one for your revolver but you should check them out if they do. The G40 is a very long pistol with a lot of weight out front. I honestly can’t even tell it’s there and that’s with a 2 cell light and red dot.

I’m also happy that I won’t have to sleep at night knowing I allowed you to be swayed towards an XD. Sorry Wyobohunter. Just kidding, sort of….
You run a red dot on your woods handgun? Any issues with that for extended times in backcountry? ie freezing temps, dust, moisture, etc?

OdinIII

Lil-Rokslider
You run a red dot on your woods handgun? Any issues with that for extended times in backcountry? ie freezing temps, dust, moisture, etc?

I have not had any issues but keep in mind that I’m in Georgia where a dusting of snow causes widespread panic and the news says to stay home until it’s completely melted.

I do however know through my USPSA shooting how the sight (DeltaPoint Pro) handles the elements. I’ve shot in lots of pouring down rain and sub freezing temps with absolutely no problem. USPSA is a lot different than hunting though. If the gun is out of the holster then you are either running, shooting or both. I guess it’s possible that I’ve had a covered emitter and assumed I just had a bad draw or presentation. One shot should clear any water on the emitter so the next shot would be clear due to the slide mounting. Also, keep in mind that I’ve drawn my current pistol tens of thousands of times. I don’t have to “hunt” the dot and through practice know I don’t need sights to get good hits if the range is under 7 yards and that by 12 yards I better get a decent sight picture if I expect to hit anything. I guess this practice lessens any worry about the gun performing if needed but again, due to my location, I don’t really need a pistol with me while hunting.

Or a glock… 😝

We all do what we do for our own reasons. Personal preference is as important as anything.

Panhandler80:
Nice looking S&W you’ve got there. I think that’s a great choice if the weight doesn’t bother you. I’d be happy to carry it.

OdinIII
+1 on the Gunfighters Inc Kenai. They also make a Ronin hip holster. I’ve got three Kenai chest holsters and two Ronin hip holsters. The hip holsters come with 2” loops that work perfectly with my EXO Hipbelt webbing.

jpmulk

WKR
I have not had any issues but keep in mind that I’m in Georgia where a dusting of snow causes widespread panic and the news says to stay home until it’s completely melted.

I do however know through my USPSA shooting how the sight (DeltaPoint Pro) handles the elements. I’ve shot in lots of pouring down rain and sub freezing temps with absolutely no problem. USPSA is a lot different than hunting though. If the gun is out of the holster then you are either running, shooting or both. I guess it’s possible that I’ve had a covered emitter and assumed I just had a bad draw or presentation. One shot should clear any water on the emitter so the next shot would be clear due to the slide mounting. Also, keep in mind that I’ve drawn my current pistol tens of thousands of times. I don’t have to “hunt” the dot and through practice know I don’t need sights to get good hits if the range is under 7 yards and that by 12 yards I better get a decent sight picture if I expect to hit anything. I guess this practice lessens any worry about the gun performing if needed but again, due to my location, I don’t really need a pistol with me while hunting.
Im in montana and have tossed around the idea of a red dot. But would be concerned about how that would handle the elements.

Im in montana and have tossed around the idea of a red dot. But would be concerned about how that would handle the elements.
Trijicon (sp?) makes some that have no electronics to worry about. I’m pretty sure they use tritium as the source. Double check me on that. I don’t have a red dot but that’s because I want to keep weight to a minimum as well as keeping it simple. I may swap my XDM factory sights out for tritium at some point.

jpmulk

WKR
Trijicon (sp?) makes some that have no electronics to worry about. I’m pretty sure they use tritium as the source. Double check me on that. I don’t have a red dot but that’s because I want to keep weight to a minimum as well as keeping it simple. I may swap my XDM factory sights out for tritium at some point.
I will say night sights at a minimum are huge help. Ive done stress shoots at night with and without them. Game changer.

Thanks for the tip on trijicon. Ill look into it.

Chaseum

FNG
I’m kinda eyeballing a 5” S&W 460 right now.

Really a want more so than a need.
I had a 460 5" in Ak and absolutely loved it.
If you have griz/brown bear it is awesome but the weight absolutely sucks.
If you go that route I would look at a kenai chest holster even if it is under your bino case.

I am heading back to Ak for a brown bear hunt in kodiak and I regret selling it last Oct. because I felt my 10mm Glock was adequate but somewhat worried it will be in regards to the bears my wife and I are targeting.

If you have a pack on I highly suggest a front sling setup like the kifaru gunbearers. I can draw my rifle almost as fast as a pistol; the combination of the 10mm and 300wm with easy access gives me piece of mind.

Kobuk

Lil-Rokslider
I own a few of the reflex sights and I put one on my puma 92 454 Casull. It worked amazing, just like on my revolver until I used it on a deer hunt out in Pricne William Sound. When it gets wet from the rain, you get all kinds of red dots! haha. I used the cover to try and keep it dry until I spotted a deer but it still gets wet. It worked and I was sucsessful but I went back to using my peep setup. I've read that the tube style and even the new box shaped red dots don't have that problem but I know the reflex style don't work well in the rain. Also, I'll second the Diamond D Chest holster, I sure have enjoyed mine.