SIG CROSS Carbon Barrel...

OP
Schnee's

Schnee's

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I give you the mythical SIG CROSS barrel extensions... Before you ask, no these are not for sale, i can't give you one and i can't tell you where/how i got them. I can tell you we are going to make our own and will be doing so as soon as possible... - matt

Attachments

• IMG_2051.JPG
    IMG_2051.JPG
    192.4 KB · Views: 117
Last edited:

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
I give you the mythical SIG CROSS barrel extensions... Before you ask, no these are not for sale, i can't give you and i can't tell you where/how i got them. I can tell you we have exclusive permission to make our own and will be doing so as soon as possible... - matt

Wow!!! So envious. I wish I had a few! I’d love to be able to swap from a 22 creed, 6, and 6.5 creed easily!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CodyAK

Lil-Rokslider
Barrel length and caliber selection are the factors that have held me back on purchasing a cross. I’m keeping my eye on this for sure.

2ski

WKR
When can you come in and look at these? I know employees are short in Bozeman so no complaints, but last time I went in to look at guns, it was closed off. Do you have hours the gun room is open?

So after taking mine apart this morning and inspecting everything, I honestly dont get the need for additional barrel extensions. Break the barrel jam nut loose, remove barrel from the extension, screw in the new barrel against the go gage and tighten jam nut. As I imagined its just like a savage barrel swap.

Im going to machine an action wrench to hold the barrel extension through the rear of the raceway so I dont transmit torque into the reciver body.

I guess extra barrel extensions stop you from having to adjust headspace every single time, but its a good practice anyways and literally takes a couple extra mins.

Next is to take a look at the bolt face and see if it can be opened up .070" as these caliber options suck.

I give you the mythical SIG CROSS barrel extensions... Before you ask, no these are not for sale, i can't give you and i can't tell you where/how i got them. I can tell you we have exclusive permission to make our own and will be doing so as soon as possible... - matt

Who did you get permission from and why? There isnt a active patent on that barrel extension.

As far as the machining goes, it will be simple for anyone with a turning center and EDM.

OP
Schnee's

Schnee's

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
When can you come in and look at these? I know employees are short in Bozeman so no complaints, but last time I went in to look at guns, it was closed off. Do you have hours the gun room is open?
Apologies for that. Our gun room Mgr actually passed away at the end of December and we've had a hard time keeping it staffed. If you come in and ask any employee to get in there, you should be able to get in. If it's any weekday before 4:30/5pm ask for me and I will come open it for you.

As for coming in to look at the barrels, we don't have any on hand in the store. Like I said, they basically all sell our before they even arrive. If I know you're coming ahead of time, I can bring my rifle in to check out though. - Matt

OP
Schnee's

Schnee's

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I’ve got a cross on the way and am very curious about this very same question.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

From initial talks with gunsmiths and some folks at SIG, it was not recommended. This is because there isn't a lot of "meat to work with.' Looking around the edges of the bolt face, you can see it is already relatively thin. A replcement bolt face is a better option i think and something we are also looking into. I'd love to put a 7SAUM in these things.. - Matt

Screen Shot 2022-03-18 at 3.24.15 PM.png

2ski

WKR
Apologies for that. Our gun room Mgr actually passed away at the end of December and we've had a hard time keeping it staffed. If you come in and ask any employee to get in there, you should be able to get in. If it's any weekday before 4:30/5pm ask for me and I will come open it for you.

As for coming in to look at the barrels, we don't have any on hand in the store. Like I said, they basically all sell our before they even arrive. If I know you're coming ahead of time, I can bring my rifle in to check out though. - Matt
I'm so sorry to hear that. Understand completely.

OP
Schnee's

Schnee's

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Does anyone know what the factory 308 barrel weighs?

we have a 308 cross here that will be getting re-barreled to a 6mm creed soon-ish. When we do, i'll way the barrel separately. not exactly sure when it will happen though. - matt

jmo

FNG
Does anyone know what the factory 308 barrel weighs?
This was the factory 308 barrel taken off my Cross. According to my cheap kitchen scale it was 2lbs 3.2oz. The Carbon 6 barrel I got through Schnee's which is 4" longer was only 2 ounces heavier.
bc5d733872d5d3458035c80e5acbb3ef.jpg
80d6e827d57d4b1edf8261dfa1465697.jpg

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

OP
Schnee's

Schnee's

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
This was the factory 308 barrel taken off my Cross. According to my cheap kitchen scale it was 2lbs 3.2oz. The Carbon 6 barrel I got through Schnee's which is 4" longer was only 2 ounces heavier.
bc5d733872d5d3458035c80e5acbb3ef.jpg
80d6e827d57d4b1edf8261dfa1465697.jpg

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

this is great, thank you for posting! is your carbon a 308 or something else?