Sig Cross Hype

z987k

WKR
Also the 1

The BIG question is what powder are they using. Stuffing a cm case full of standard powders used today won't hit 80k I don't think. So I'm guessing the powder will be pretty efin hot.
Someone ran it through quickload and with a 7mm-08AI case, which is really close to what the fury is, a case full of something with a pretty quick burn rate made 80k.

Nomosendero

Lil-Rokslider
Someone ran it through quickload and with a 7mm-08AI case, which is really close to what the fury is, a case full of something with a pretty quick burn rate made 80k.
I bet the case would not fare well!

Nomosendero

Lil-Rokslider
Ah Yea, I am aware of that!
I read about it back when it was introduced, old news now.

Last edited:

bobinmi

WKR
They offer this in a short magnum and I am totally on board. Till then, I think its a really cool little package that doesn't fit any holes in my current arsenal besides want. I'm not wealthy enough to buy things that are purely wants.

OP
silasbowhunter
They offer this in a short magnum and I am totally on board. Till then, I think its a really cool little package that doesn't fit any holes in my current arsenal besides want. I'm not wealthy enough to buy things that are purely wants.

I agree. This in a 6.5prc or 300wsm would be awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lefty c

FNG
Did you discuss this with Sig? Curious what ammo/bullets/powder you tried, and how many rounds? My cross really settled in at about 120 rounds but I never struggled to keep "groups" tight.

Was that 10 round groups you were measuring?
Hostile1
I tried different factory loads as well as the same loads in my sons Ruger. Used H4350 accubond LR and Berger 140. Consistent 5 shot groups with any Ammo 1 1/2-2". Almost always 2 fliers that would open the group up.

I did speak with sig and they suggested more shooting cleaning.

The rifle was sold with 200+ rounds through it.

Liked the rifle but had no confidence in it.

Lety

I just got mine back from SIG. At some point the back of the bolt lugs had galled this fall while out hunting, probably due to some dirt/grit that blew into the action. They replaced the barrel and the bolt with brand new and shipped it back at no cost to me.

Only problem is I find myself dragging my feet to test my old load in it/start new load development and wonder if I wouldn't be ahead to cut my losses and sell it now.

I have not been able to find ANY loads that will perform consistently, to include match factory ammo. I called and asked them what the process was to check it and I was told they basically strap it down and fire at 25 yards.
We are talking again tomorrow because that is 100% unacceptable. I asked for an actual tech to call me so they could verify testing at 100 yards minimum.

mt100gr.

WKR
I have not been able to find ANY loads that will perform consistently, to include match factory ammo. I called and asked them what the process was to check it and I was told they basically strap it down and fire at 25 yards.
We are talking again tomorrow because that is 100% unacceptable. I asked for an actual tech to call me so they could verify testing at 100 yards minimum.
I never intended to shoot factory ammo in mine, but I did burn up a fair bit getting a feel for the rifle and getting some rounds thru it. I wasn't impressed with the accuracy of any factory ammo I tried - and I agree, that is unacceptable.

I fiddled for a while with handloads, but once I got close to where it wanted to be, it shined brightly.

Be sure to follow up with how it goes on the phone with Sig.

QuackAttack

Lil-Rokslider
So... the 277 fury?

Not really. Super limited ammo available, proprietary case with steel rim, 80 k psi chamber pressure…and still slower than a 270 weatherby.

The fury isn’t bringing anything new to the table beyond a more complex way to do the same thing IMO.

z987k

WKR
Not really. Super limited ammo available, proprietary case with steel rim, 80 k psi chamber pressure…and still slower than a 270 weatherby.

The fury isn’t bringing anything new to the table beyond a more complex way to do the same thing IMO.
If you really want a 270wsm, there's a lot of them out there. And you can build one to your heart's desire, even for a similar price on a chassis.
Or, the 7wsm/saum, since there's still better bullets in 284 than 277.

bobinmi

WKR
I've been thinking about this rifle a lot lately. For my personal uses everything will hinge on whether the .277 fury is a flop or they start making other options with the same technology. 3k from a 140 grain bullet is not special until its coming from a 16 inch barrel.

QuackAttack

Lil-Rokslider
If you really want a 270wsm, there's a lot of them out there. And you can build one to your heart's desire, even for a similar price on a chassis.
Or, the 7wsm/saum, since there's still better bullets in 284 than 277.

i have it in my head…a defiance Ti CRF action, Longrifles Inc super fluted barrel to get to carbon wrapped weight equivalent, Geissele MK 13 trigger, XLR Chassis in Magnesium…

But I keep coming back to normal rifles like a model 70 featherweight and doing the math on dropping it into a McM stock and going hunting.

Thus f…..the model 70 gets it done.