Simms Sold to Vista Outdoors

Shadow14

WKR
Looks like Simms has sold out to Vista Outdoors… don’t know what this will mean for quality and service going forward but I’m not too confident it’s going to get better lol.

Clarktar

WKR
Vista sure has been gobbling them up

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
It could get SG access to more rain gear materials considering Simms is a big goretex user.

sf jakey

Lil-Rokslider
Looks like I will pick up a new wading jacket while I know what I’m getting. These acquisitions never seem to make the product better for the consumer.

Tatanka17

FNG
Wow that is interesting. I own a fair deal of simms gear and have always liked there build quality and customer service. I hope they don’t go down hill now.

sndmn11

WKR
Well, at least they are no longer the only company building good waders

I stopped using Simms in 2015, I could never get a pair of g3s to last a year (70 days fly fishing) and was told that the seams were only designed to for standing and not crouching...

My switch to Patagonia rio gallegos resulted in a few more years of the same amount of fishing days and then less due to a kid, but I haven't had to buy new waders since.

On the one hand, Vista doesn't seem to have done too badly by the brands that they have. So I'm less worried about quality going down than I might be with some other random conglomerate buying out good companies. At the same time, I don't especially like centralization of all these different companies all the time, it's generally not good for competition and for development of new and better things...

Last edited:
I stopped using Simms in 2015, I could never get a pair of g3s to last a year (70 days fly fishing) and was told that the seams were only designed to for standing and not crouching...

My switch to Patagonia rio gallegos resulted in a few more years of the same amount of fishing days and then less due to a kid, but I haven't had to buy new waders since.
Pretty much same for me, G3 are nice waders, but still disposable… Patagonia rio Gallegos are great, I got a pair a few years ago from Sierra for a great deal.

I switched to dryft and they have been solid, for the price, they are awesome

rmrwade

FNG
Vista is splitting the company. Some say into firearms and feel good . They are using money from firearm side to fuel the feel good acquisitions before they officially break int o two. Not my deductions just what I gather from having vsto stock. And of course buying it high and selling it low

ODB

WKR
On the one hand, Vista doesn't seem to have done too badly by the brands that they have. So I'm less worried about quality going down than I might be with some other random conglomerate buying out good companies. At the same time, I don't especially like centralization of all these different companies all the time, it's generally not good for competition and for development of new and better things...

Corrrect. And It’s the actions of a conglomerator when the shit hits the fan and they need to start shedding effort and assets that will negatively affect the individual brands. A lot of people talk about how a large umbrella can help smaller brands live, but I have seen empirically the opposite because a smaller brand “did not pull its weight” in relation to a bigger one, so it was either dissolved or changed so as to be unrecognizable. The former owners of the smaller, dissolved brand told me they wished they had never sold to the larger company.

Maybe now the the invisible entity will stop shorting visto stock.. seriously makes no sense how that stock keeps going down

Reactions: pew
Waders are and will continue to be disposable. Doesn't matter the manufacturer.
Yep, about exactly like boots or clothing (especially rain gear), they are a wear item, some hold up better than others, but none live all that long under my control, haha

Simms, the high end Patagonia, and dryft are the 3 standouts for fishing waders, and of those 3, the g3 dies first… I quit buying them when the price vs life expectancy no longer penciled out.

I would buy redington before simms at this point if I was paying full retail price