Simms Sold to Vista Outdoors

GarnerAF1

Lil-Rokslider
Hopefully it doesn’t entail a slide in quality. I sure have loved all my Simms stuff up to this point.

Sad to see this, guess we will see what happens. I was considering a pair of Orvis pro waders for my next pair anyway- simms has been slowly slipping for a while. Moved most production overseas, wader quality slipping, prices getting stupid high, etc. I hope the best for simms, guess we will see what happens.

They had the CEO of Vista on the local news tonight. He said he always loved Simms and it was a good fit for him to buy it. He also made a comment the he really liked Bozeman and was thinking of building headquarters here. Which would make sense with SG, Simms, Blackhawk etc..
KC Walsh did a hell of a job with building up Simms. Sad to see it change, but not surprised as everything has changed rapidly in the Bozeman area.

Flyjunky

WKR
Sad to see this, guess we will see what happens. I was considering a pair of Orvis pro waders for my next pair anyway- simms has been slowly slipping for a while. Moved most production overseas, wader quality slipping, prices getting stupid high, etc. I hope the best for simms, guess we will see what happens.
So you complain about simms moving some production overseas yet you are considering Orvis which are all made in China? The Guide classic through the G4 are still made here in the states.

On another note, Patagonia isn’t near the quality of Simms. I own both, we sell both in my shop, and we get FAR more warranty claims with Patagonia than Simms even though we sell Simms 7-1 over Patagonia.

Watch out for Grundens, they are making a very hard push into the market and have actually got licensed from Gore! That is no small undertaking and is very expensive to use gore products, which is still the best all around membrane.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Ive had great luck with my simms, my current G3s have 3 seasons of heavy use on float hunts for moose and bear and tons of fishing. I pretty much live out of them in the fall. Getting in and out of rafts and skiffs, hiking, brush busting, butchering moose, bivvying out…my g3s have been nothing but great.

I even commercial set net fished a bit in them this year with no damage. Not sure what guys are doing to destroy them but mine have a lot of life left in them.

Simms waders and HQ is staying in Four Corners. Hopefully the quality and jobs won’t change. From The news interview it appears that Vista wants to push and expand the brand. My guess would be selling and marketing all the Asian made logo gear more aggressively to bolster sales and profit.

Looks like Simms has sold out to Vista Outdoors… don’t know what this will mean for quality and service going forward but I’m not too confident it’s going to get better lol.

Everyone said same things about Stone Glacier. Kurt personally pm’d me on my pants I was having an issue with few weeks back.

Not every acquisition is end of times. Privately held companies can lack in true employee ownership potential. Where as someone like vista has ability to offer employees discounted stock purchase programs and stock performance awards.

Also many private companies have given employees stock/ options, technically that stock only has value when the company has an open buy back period OR if they sale.

company I work for was bought out by a smaller public company. The owners did we their employees very right when we sold. A lot of us had stock awards built up via performance bonuses. Those of accredited got 50/50 cash/new ASU and RSU’s trade. We sold for $12 a share, we hit ATH in Jan at $131 in less then a decade.

Not all buy-outs are bad for consumers or employees. Vista is a pretty solid company over all

Last edited:
Vista is splitting the company. Some say into firearms and feel good . They are using money from firearm side to fuel the feel good acquisitions before they officially break int o two. Not my deductions just what I gather from having vsto stock. And of course buying it high and selling it low
Been rumor for a while. Every since REI cancelled buying any Vista brands like camelbak and bell because they owned firearms companies like savage.

How REI gets so much love on this site is weird to me

Mcnasty

FNG
Been rumor for a while. Every since REI cancelled buying any Vista brands like camelbak and bell because they owned firearms companies like savage.

How REI gets so much love on this site is weird to me
I had not heard about that, thanks for the info

TheTone

WKR
I’m not even sure how old my G3’s are at this point but they’ve seen a ton of use and are still going atrong

Last edited:

CorbLand

WKR
Everyone said same things about Stone Glacier. Kurt personally pm’d me on my pants I was having an issue with few weeks back.

Not every acquisition is end of times. Privately held companies can lack in true employee ownership potential. Where as someone like vista has ability to offer employees discounted stock purchase programs and stock performance awards.

Also many private companies have given employees stock/ options, technically that stock only has value when the company has an open buy back period OR if they sale.

company I work for was bought out by a smaller public company. The owners did we their employees very right when we sold. A lot of us had stock awards built up via performance bonuses. Those of accredited got 50/50 cash/new ASU and RSU’s trade. We sold for $12 a share, we hit ATH in Jan at $131 in less then a decade.

Not all buy-outs are bad for consumers or employees. Vista is a pretty solid company over all
This is true. People don't always understand the terms and what was negotiated with buy outs and sometimes its the owner of the company that sells it out more so than the company that bought it.

There was a pretty big company that sold to a larger company in the area that I grew up in. The owner sold because he was out of capital to continue growing the business and needed to grow it to remain competitive. A lot of people claimed he was selling out. He had an offer for more (it was in the double digit millions) but the company wanted to move the head quarters. He sold it to the company that offered less because they were willing to leave the HQ there and actually bring an additional brand that provided about 25 more jobs to the small town.

I still do hate to see family owned businesses sell but its not always the end of anything and everything good.

schmalzy

WKR

I had the same experience with Kurt, but was just general questions I had. Pretty hard to argue against their customer service and accessibility. Every Order I get has a hand written thank you.
Cool guys and happy to spend my money with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So you complain about simms moving some production overseas yet you are considering Orvis which are all made in China? The Guide classic through the G4 are still made here in the states.

On another note, Patagonia isn’t near the quality of Simms. I own both, we sell both in my shop, and we get FAR more warranty claims with Patagonia than Simms even though we sell Simms 7-1 over Patagonia.

Watch out for Grundens, they are making a very hard push into the market and have actually got licensed from Gore! That is no small undertaking and is very expensive to use gore products, which is still the best all around membrane.
Fly shop guy here as well. Have had multiple guides pop leaks in simms straight out of the box, but have had the same experience with orvis (particularly the Ultralight). The new pro seems like a super solid wader at the same price as a G3, we have multiple guides running them with little complaint. I honestly can’t believe the designers at any of these brands actually fish. The new G3 padded suspenders suck in any kind of warm weather and can’t be removed and the internal pocket is clumsy and likes to unzip. I’ve never owned a wader other than a simms and will probably continue to buy sims but may jump ship if I see a quality decrease.

I do agree on Grundens- our rep has had some pretty interesting things to say about their new lineup so excited to see what happens.

Fjellvei

Lil-Rokslider
Pretty much same for me, G3 are nice waders, but still disposable… Patagonia rio Gallegos are great, I got a pair a few years ago from Sierra for a great deal.

I switched to dryft and they have been solid, for the price, they are awesome
Would y'all say these outperform the top Redington waders? Regardless I'll check these out, I'm due for new