Soft Camper Shells

Who has them or who has had them and got rid of it?

I really like the idea of having something to keep gear/luggage dry or keep the dogs in the back while driving that is easily removable for oversized items...as well as truck camping. Tonneau covers are two restrictive for me. Everyone I’ve know that had them got rid of them, even the folding ones. Hard camper shells are expensive, and I haul too many large things for them to even be considered an option.

Looks like Bestop and Softopper are the two players in the market.

Wellsdw

WKR
I’ve also looked into both. The softoppers atleast on my model truck are way better engineered for fit. Material and construction seems better as well. Bestops have the side windows which is a plus. I plan on picking up a softopper later this summer. Definitely interested in others input

OP
G
So Bestop apparently doesn’t make a cover for 2010 Tundra’s (sigh). Softopper does but they don’t have the third break light like Bestop has, which I would prefer to have.

You can get a rear window screen for the Softopper as well as a front window dog hatch kit.

#1antler

Lil-Rokslider
Softtopper is a great piece of equipment. Easily removed from truck when not in use or hauling wood, etc.
Downside is for offroad use they suck up dust into the truck bed like a vacuum cleaner

OP
G
Softtopper is a great piece of equipment. Easily removed from truck when not in use or hauling wood, etc.
Downside is for offroad use they suck up dust into the truck bed like a vacuum cleaner

I wouldn’t have expected the dust issue. Which one did you use?

wmd

Lil-Rokslider
All pickup box covers suck in dust doesn't matter what style. To reduce the amount of dust you need to plug all holes in the bed and use a tailgate seal. Those steps will reduce the dust but almost impossible to stop it completely.

I just ordered a Softopper for my '17 Tacoma and included the back screen addition. I did not buy the boot cover. Will arrive by Monday, supposedly. I knew I wanted a soft top and from what I researched... to me... Softopper just had a bit of an edge over the Bestop.

I had a best top and I'd recommend getting a soft topper. Nex truck I buy will li hopefully get one as well, I loved the versatility.

Attachments

• dc07e25867ce86727b6eb5a3fa8934f0_5cc32aaefb0b46b4edbce76e302a9fcaaff7628e.jpg
    dc07e25867ce86727b6eb5a3fa8934f0_5cc32aaefb0b46b4edbce76e302a9fcaaff7628e.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 93
OP
G
I just ordered a Softopper for my '17 Tacoma and included the back screen addition. I did not buy the boot cover. Will arrive by Monday, supposedly. I knew I wanted a soft top and from what I researched... to me... Softopper just had a bit of an edge over the Bestop.

Are you going to mount a third brake light? I emailed them about it and they recommend I check out some google searches where people did it.

I really just don’t want to get rear ended and end up paying the claim because of some BS about the light not being there.

OP
G
I had a best top and I'd recommend getting a soft topper. Nex truck I buy will li hopefully get one as well, I loved the versatility.

Any particular reason?

BTW, I probably will end up with Softopper anyway because Bestop doesn’t make one for short bed Tundras (which amazes me).

Jimss

WKR
I really like my hardtop topper. It's super solid, waterproof, dustproof, etc. It's super nice having a dependable mobile camp. If you haul a bunch of bigger stuff it may be worth buying a flatbed trailer? I bought my nearly new topper on Craigslist for $500. There are bargains out there if you have time and are picky!

Are you going to mount a third brake light? I emailed them about it and they recommend I check out some google searches where people did it.

I really just don’t want to get rear ended and end up paying the claim because of some BS about the light not being there.

I hadn't looked into that, but maybe I should. I will only be using this for weekend trips to the hills, so, not really around town and such. But, you bring up a good point.

tdhanses

WKR
I had a soft topper on my last pickup, loved it but it wouldn’t fit my new one and I just went with a cheap roll up tonneau cover this go around. I’d highly recommend the soft topper.

I really like my hardtop topper. It's super solid, waterproof, dustproof, etc. It's super nice having a dependable mobile camp. If you haul a bunch of bigger stuff it may be worth buying a flatbed trailer? I bought my nearly new topper on Craigslist for $500. There are bargains out there if you have time and are picky!
Same here. Guy bought it for $1800 and sold it to me for 500. It is in like new condition.

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I have a soft topper on my tundra , it’s cool but it’s dirty in the dirt roads . I hate to put my two mostly white bird dogs in the back as it means for sure bath time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

apkleinschmidt

Lil-Rokslider
Can you go through a drive through carwash with the Softopper? Up or collapsed down?

I would think not, but curious what you fellas who have had them say. Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

Phaseolus

WKR
I’ve never had a soft topper but have had a couple of hard tops, which I loved. Why go soft over hard?

Wellsdw

WKR
I would think brushless car was would be be fine. I had mine in Wyoming and drove up and down a dust road probably close to a 100 over two weeks. Dust was really not bad inside. Also drove from NC through hours of rain. And everything stayed pretty dry. I was impressed to say the least. As far as it vs a hardtop I chose it bc I can break and remove it completely by myself in less than 10 and store it. Also vents well.

JMF

Lil-Rokslider
Fas-top is another brand to check out. I know 2 guys that use them and they are happy with them.