south dakota archery mule deer

NEWYORKHILLBILLY

Lil-Rokslider
I was planning a Wyoming mule deer hunt. But I did not draw my tag. I looking at south Dakota. I have a few weeks in September. I tow a small camper so land that you can camp on would be a plus. I hate to be the guy on here starting a thread on where to go. Honestly I just need a area where i can work some deer without to much pressure. I will be hunting alone and am not afraid to walk. I just don't know what part of the state i should zero in on. I keep hearing about Harding county (North west) .But i thinking if i hearing about so much there might be a lot of pressure. I bird hunted south Dakota for years ,(infact I seen the biggest whitetail of my life jeat east of the river)But this will be my first big game hunt there. I hunted Mule deer in north Dakota ,wy, and Idaho. I 55 years old.

Is a good public land hunt still possible? whats the best area of the state? your welcome to drop me a pm if you don't want to post public.

I also be willing to pay a trespass fee if it get me on some good ground.

how important is to be there the opener? I thinking i rather hunt the 2-3 week of September

I know its getting harder and harder to find info. I understand why. If anyone wants to help me out and wants to come to NY deer hunting . Your welcome . i have a small camp on my property with lots of public ground with in 15 min drive. lots of whitetail . although there is lots of deer, big bucks are hard to find but you could get lucky. Deer tags are cheap and lots of extra doe tags it would make a great meat hunt or hunt for someone that has never killed a white tail.

Might fact check me, but they are changing things up a bit. Nothing published for sure yet, but if you wish to archery hunt public you will have to buy your tag by Aug 1 this year and april 1 starting next year. They are also planning on moving the NR start date to Oct 1, allowing residents only hunting in Sept. Im sure several of the SD guys will eventually chime in as well.

Trial153

WKR
They are handicapping NR and pushing them back to oct 1 start on public land and walk in areas

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

OP
NEWYORKHILLBILLY

NEWYORKHILLBILLY

Lil-Rokslider
Might fact check me, but they are changing things up a bit. Nothing published for sure yet, but if you wish to archery hunt public you will have to buy your tag by Aug 1 this year and april 1 starting next year. They are also planning on moving the NR start date to Oct 1, allowing residents only hunting in Sept. Im sure several of the SD guys will eventually chime in as well.

I have to check into that, that would a deal breaker for me.

I have to check into that, that would a deal breaker for me.
I just spoke with someone at South Dakota game fish and Parks, because I plan on doing that hunt eventually as well. What I got from him was that the application is not yet out. He said to check back every week or two, because until that is published, he wasn't sure on the exact details of application period and such. what I can say, is that I was incorrect about the application period already having closed. the long story short is that it doesn't sound like South Dakota has nailed down all the details yet for the nonresident archery hunt.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Jxferg7

Lil-Rokslider
As a NR I would scope the Black Hills NF. Deer may not be as big there will be pressure but if you can walk and in shape you’ll get away from people. As a resident I am in favor of upcoming changes, shits getting crazy in every western state.

Mediocre Archer

Lil-Rokslider
As a NR I would scope the Black Hills NF. Deer may not be as big there will be pressure but if you can walk and in shape you’ll get away from people. As a resident I am in favor of upcoming changes, shits getting crazy in every western state.
I think you are spot on. Any amount of boot leather will get you away from most of the crowd.

KurtR

WKR
I think the October start date is set for nr and that includes the black hills because a bunch of guys were happy that had elk tags. Making Custer nf a draw tag for archery also. Can’t camp on walk in area or some state ground but plenty of camp grounds around.

Trial153

WKR
South Dakota can go shit in their hats. If they want to limits on NR tag allocations, fine go for it. But selling unlimited archery tags with season handicap placed on NRs is bull shit, on all of ours public lands no less.
They are saying we will take all the license money you will give us but get in line for our left overs.

KurtR

WKR
lately they have been going wild on changing the deer hunting. New draw system for all the rifle tags which is one of the stupidest things i have seen. I agree they should just make the nr tags a draw vs starting in october every one talks of all this pressure but i have not seen it or think it is bad. People want to see pressure come for opening weekend of pheasants. I would have to look but i would assume majority of funds come from pheasants and deer hunting is really a drop in bucket.

NDGuy

WKR
They are handicapping NR and pushing them back to oct 1 start on public land and walk in areas
Man I am sure the residents love that, as a NR that sucks a lot! I get maybe moving it back a week or two but a whole month! DANG.

Used to start Oct 1 for everyone, then last week of sept. The sept 1 start is only a couple of years old anyway. Darn it for us non residents, only 3 months to bowhunt instead of 4.

This new law in SD reminds me of the WY wilderness law. I wish states would just have reciprocal laws. If a non res starts 1 month later in SD than a res, than an SD res has a later start date in other states. If a WY res wants to hunt wilderness in CO than they either need to pay an outfitter or get a res to guide them.

Pezboat

WKR
This new law in SD reminds me of the WY wilderness law. I wish states would just have reciprocal laws. If a non res starts 1 month later in SD than a res, than an SD res has a later start date in other states. If a WY res wants to hunt wilderness in CO than they either need to pay an outfitter or get a res to guide them.

Perfectly said.

OP
NEWYORKHILLBILLY

NEWYORKHILLBILLY

Lil-Rokslider
besides the late start date they are limiting NR assess to Custer national forest This is federal land (all Of us have stake in this land) They will not be getting my money.

The Commission created 625 access permits (500 resident and 125 nonresident) for Unit 35L, which encompasses much of the Custer National Forest area in Harding County. Archers wanting to hunt in this unit will have to apply for one of these free access permits. Deadline for these free access permits is Aug. 1.

As a former resident of SD and now an avid NR hunter there, I am strongly in support of all of the new changes to the regulations. Limiting the number of tags a NR has access to vs Residents is SOP in most western states. In recent years, SD has been getting over run with NR archery hunters. (How many other states can you hunt mule deer NR OTC archery?) I think that keeping the tags unlimited and limiting where you can hunt is a better option than falling into the point creep nightmare of other western states. Essentially, NR hunting is tourism and residents of that state should have priority over the NR hunters. In recent years, the pressure in the Custer NF has increased and the NR trucks vastly outnumber the resident trucks on forest roads. The quality of deer has decreased. Something needed to be done and I think this is a great solution.